Announced Retirements and Delistings, List spots and Picks 2018 edition - The grass on the other side isn't Green

Lyons strikes me as one of those guys who racks up supercoach points in a rubbish team that no one ever sees play, but who is actually not much chop. Everyone thinks he’s good because supercoach, and is shocked and outraged when he’s dropped just after they trade him in.

He was moved on by Adelaide, then was dropped regularly at GC this year. He’s clearly not doing some things that coaches want done.

2 Likes

Yeah how good was it when we had Howlett, Craig Bird and Hocking in the 2s to come in instead of having to go to Langford or Laverde?

All it does is stop actual talent getting game time.
Fool’s gold.

1 Like

Suns don’t rate him. Got dropped twice this year, as others have said. Will be going to the lions on a 3 year deal. Terms will be more than we can offer even if we were interested. Forget about him

1 Like

I don’t see him as an upgrade on Myers or Langford anyway. These are the guys he’d be competing with for a game. Probably end up being a list clogger

Cyril would be worth it just to ■■■■ off every hawks supporter. Would be hilarious. But tbh I don’t reckon he’d have much good footy left in him

2 Likes

Outstanding from Sam McLure on SEN (regarding Cyril):

“The AFL will say they’ll give (Hawthorn and Cyril) an extension, it’s unlike the AFL to make things up on the sport, but they’ll give his manager Adam Ramanauskas an extension.”

Good one!

4 Likes

I didn’t know it was Comedy Fest time

8 Likes

what’s this cyril business about then?

1 Like

Well Jeff and Clarko really wanted Chad cos he’s got sweet wing tatts on his shoulders,(just like Cyril!) and they were thinking wouldn’t it be cool to have like bookends in either forward pocket, but then the rulez said nah you can’t have both just yet, so they told Cyril to go on hols, then they got Chad for a few magic beans and now they’re just waiting for Gil to tell Cyril his hols are over and he’s cool to come back (hopefully with some new tatts!). Lololololol.

1 Like

To be fair there’s only 7 players left on their list…

2 Likes

To be fair, Adam has experience with AFL team list shenanigans in his favour. A voluntary retirement isn’t exactly the same as having cancer though!

It’s a beat-up anyway; there are still two more delisting deadlines before the draft.

1 Like

I would particularly like to see Hawks stitched up here however Cyril has said happy retired & if was to play again only for them.

Things can change quickly however

That’s no reason to have a separate list though. Can easily make a rule that x players on the list can be paid down to a minimum of Y dollars

I find the whole list management rules complicated. I’m sure if it was your job and you sat down and worked through it you get on top of it and it’s easy. But like the tax laws and superannuation laws, the more complicated you make things the more chance of loopholes and people gaming the system.

Keep it simple. Give them a salary and player cap and they have to manage lists within those limits.

Exactly. First round picks already earn more than second round picks. No reason they couldn’t say 5th round players earn less again if they wanted to.

2 Likes

Not sure you could go quite that far. I reckon there’d be plenty of blokes who’d be willing to forego pay entirely for a chance to be on an AFL list, and there’s no need to be encouraging that sort of stuff.