Announced Retirements and Delistings, List spots and Picks 2018 edition - The grass on the other side isn't Green

Dea wouldn’t want to be reminded of that second Richmond game. He got park-benched by all and sundry. About fourth in line as defensive depth. Nowhere near my best 22.

4 Likes

Martin has ripped up plenty of defenders. Caddy a few too.

1 Like

It was the way it happened. Deer in the headlights, whether it was the pressure of playing against his old team or not. But I rate Gleeson a LONG way ahead of him.

Would we look at Hugh Goddard as an option? Good size still very young could do with a Change of scenery and he is for free.

1 Like

Isn’t he a tall defender? Has he shown anything at all in the VFL?
Considering he played VFL all year and couldn’t get a look in in that terrible St Kilda team, it’s hard to imagine anyone picking him up

1 Like

The AFL is now Goddard free, and it will remain so

Thought he could play at both ends

If he played forward he obviously isn’t any good at it. Has kicked 3 goals in 37 career VFL games.

1 Like

In my view it would be nice if Gleeson had a defensive game. Until he does I don’t see him competing for Dea’s Spot but for Goddard’s.

Lonergan from GC still unsigned. Was a high draft pick and he obviously has family links with Essendon.

Don’t need inside mids, especially mediocre ones.

2 Likes

Gleeson…defensive game?
Gleeson showed some form during 2017 and 2018 that he is an excellent intercept defender. He did a really good job until he got injured.
I was extremely sceptical of Gleeson, was my whipping boy, but with his defensive knowledge of the game I believe we would not have lost our ■■■■ so poorly last season .

1 Like

Never showed anything as a forward.
Or a defender.

What is this change that has come upon us?

Intercept marking isn’t what I mean. Gleeson is good at that. I’m talking about one on one, and he usually loses those contests.

Recognition we did well there this year with further emergence of Langford and Parish, that we got Shiel, and we have Mynott, Clarke and Mutch in the reserves.

1 Like

So… he’s a midfielder then?

Usually loses one on ones???

Perception is a strange thing.
We’ll agree to disagree. The last AFL game I saw Marty play before getting injured was on September 9th 2017 against Sydney in Sydney in an elimination final. I dunno about anyone else, but I gave him BOG for us.

It’s my belief that a couple of passages of play, that go to make up less than 5 percent of a player’s involment in his entire career can be amplified and Chinese Whispered into a group think perception of ‘that is how he plays, how he is remembered’.

Edit. Sorry somehow posted to wrong thread.

7 Likes

Agree Gleeson was one of the shining lights in the final.

Still have no word on what these lads are doing? Is there any reason to be delaying the decisions? Or are we just not being informed?

Matt Dea - 2018
Matthew Leuenberger - 2018
Jake Long - 2018

Mynott
McNiece