Announced Retirements and Delistings, List spots and Picks 2018 edition - The grass on the other side isn't Green

Wasn’t there a stat in 2017 that Gleeson was one of the best 1:1 players going around? I remember a wtf surprise.

1 Like

Sometimes we just don’t hear announcements. The club might also be still deciding.

Expect the official announcement soon, tomorrow or by the end of the week. Last year, final delistings were on the 24th of oct fwiw, year b4 that the 28th.

1 Like

done

So It’s now 3 main list picks we have?

4 picks. we have delisted BJ, Green, Jerrett, Colyer, Leuenberger and Baguley (who will be picked up as a rookie).
We have added Shiel and Smack (from Rookie List). That leaves 4 list places to be filled (either as listed players or rookies) at this stage.

1 Like

Pick 102 let’s goooooooooo!

Do we really count Baguley as a confirmed delisting at this stage? I know there was an AFL article on it but there’s been nothing on the club site and it’s pretty rare for the club not to confirm list changes

Jason Bell - pick 102

we even went to pick 117.

that said, the pick before Jason Bell as pick 87, and we got a handy bloke called Damien Hardwick…

3 Likes

Will be interesting to see what happens given Luey no longer will take up a spot. Baguley would be very stiff to go onto the rookie list if there was an open senior spot. Would be very surprised to see us going in with a 39-5 (senior/rookie) structure.

I still see Long and Dea getting de-listed.

Potentially, that’d be 6 spots on the senior list available.

With rookies - McNiece, Draper, Baguley* & Mynott

I think we take 3 picks in the ND.
Either keep Bags on and upgrade Draper, or upgrade Draper and McNiece.
Sign a DFA (Sheridan/Towers/Lonergan/Tiziani).
Then hit the rookie draft with 1 pick and Mason Fletcher.

Updated the first post.
If as reported Bags is still to be delisted and rookied, we have 4 picks in the ND and none in the rookie draft. However, we only need to take 2 picks in the ND, so we could pass on the last two and take extra rookie selections.

We currently have 1 Cat B player listed (Lavender) and can take two more, but only one Irishman.

3 Likes

In the F/S thread it was reported this morning that young Fletcher has stress fractures in his back. He won’t be playing football and we won’t pick him up if this is indeed the case.

I don’t like the concept of delisting Bags and then taking him as a rookie. Goes against my thoughts on what the rookie list should be about:

• youngsters not picked in the preseason draft,
  • mature type players who we get on the books and develop and see if they have what it takes,
  • youngsters picked up in the preseason draft who serve their 2 year contract, haven’t quite made it and might still develop into someone handy

Making Bags a rookie is using the loophole in the system (I know technically not true) but leaves a sour taste.

That kind of thinking is pretty old now. These days the rookie list is just another part of the list. Doing the switch with Bags has no more effect that bringing forward (if we want to on the day) our draft pick.

3 Likes

I reckon they should change the name of the rookie list to something else…but can’t think of the right name. Rookie isn’t right though

Supplementary list?

4 Likes

How about just “list”

Just make it so that you don’t have to give 2 year deals to anyone taken after pick 70, and allow clubs to pass and then re enter.

Makes a difference to how you might go all in on some drafts (and so effect other teams), but that’s about it.

Geez, when you put it like that it sounds awfully like draft tampering.

Hopefully we’re not the first team to be bashed for it by the AFL, or to have our downgraded player sniped by another team.

Didn’t work out for Alex Morgan - delisted.

1 Like

This has been going on for years, mostly at other clubs. The rookie list is just another excuse to pay players less basically.

Should be gone, as it’s no longer used for what it was intended for.

Just makes lists longer and be done with it!!

6 Likes