Announced Retirements and Delistings, List spots and Picks 2018 edition - The grass on the other side isn't Green

McNeice is apparently Cat A not cat B anymore

The four rookies this year were McNiece, McKernan, Draper and Mynott. Unless you leave a spot empty, you must have 4 Cat A rookies.

How many rookies do you need to take per year?

Don’t think any requirement

Just has to be 3 main list changes of which rookie upgrades can count towards

Does Baguley count as a list change?

Jake Long looking like he’s got another year

1 Like

A draftee coming in or Smack being elevated into his spot would be yes

I’m not sure how DFA’s are looked at however. Have a feeling they wouldn’t count.

Where are you seeing/hearing this?

Afl.com.au have gone with it on their ‘OOC’ thread

2 Likes

Thanks.

Weird how the first line says “Jake Long has re-signed…”.
Then the last line says “Dea, Long and McNeice will find out either way this week”.

2 Likes

Regardless of what most think we weren’t ever going to cut Jerrett, Colyer & Long all in one go. We still need quick outside mid/hff depth & it’s helpful if know the game plan.

From limited senior game time in 2018 Long showed the most of all 3 IMO.

I personally think with finals unlikely we kept playing Colyer instead of Long with a view to try and boost his trade value. Didn’t work. And he was sent off for a half eaten packet of twisties to Freo anyway.

If we find someone late in draft who provides more than Long then great, here’s hoping we do.

1 Like

Your post would make sense if there weren’t faster, better outside mid available for fark-all.

Who you got in mind Wim?

Sheridan might go before 66 (or whatever it is).
Hartung won’t.
Sheridan is friggin’…a million times better than Long.
Hartung is merely twice as good.
And Bugg’s not the same sort of player, but still miles better than Long.
Could do whatever the hell you want Long to do better than Long.
And that’s just the delistees I’m vaguely aware of.

2 Likes

Whilst I wouldn’t disagree they might be better players ultimately if the recruitment team & coaches believe otherwise need to back them in.

Hartung may be done as can’t kick but perhaps we may pick up Sheridan as a DFA as well as having Long but there is value seen in Jake internally & they think he still has upside.

This post the Pies game where Long had:

17 disposals @ 88%DE, 5 tackles, 5 score inv.

1 Like

Zero games in 2017.
Two last year (in rounds 16 and 17 so yes, everyone must have been reeeeal impressed).
Look, at the end of the day it’s position 40 and whatever, but it’s the wrong call.
It was the wrong call last year.

4 Likes

He’s never going to be an All Australian that’s for sure

But if he plays 5-10 games in 2019 as he is the first to be called upon depth now instead of Jerrett & Colyer, and he begins to look and feel more comfortable at senior level is it the wrong call?

Perhaps it will be still and he just gets delisted at end of 2019 anyway! Time will tell.

You are right it’s only position 40 however and there are average players across every list in their bottom few.

Big call to say he was/is better than Jerrett or Colyer, though, let alone any of the other players out there.
Guy’s gonna be 23 at the start of next season.
Still, I guess were not quite at Henneman levels yet.

1 Like

I’m glad we’re discussing Hartung, because I feel like we didn’t do that enough last year.

Hartung in every thread I say!

2 Likes