Announced Retirements and Delistings, List spots and Picks 2018 edition - The grass on the other side isn't Green

You could discuss Long, you know, if you like.
As I’m pretty sure we’re doing.

Edit: lol. Just realised which thread this is. Cool.

New idea for a Wim thread: ‘Would Hartung be a better coach than Worsfold?’

1 Like

New idea for you.
Have an independent opinion and leave off the slagging.

■■■■■■■■ about talking about Hartung in the delistees thread, ffs.

2 Likes

My opinion is that Worsfold would make a better coach than Hartung. Probably

I agree. Almost certainly.

I’ll agree, but be a bit harsher on him.

All of Jerrett, Colyer, and Henneman made their 50 games. To me this indicates that they had some talent to work with. All more or less got moved on in their mid 20’s.

Jake hasn’t reached those lofty levels. With the greatest respect to the kid and his family, I can’t see him getting to 10 games.

I cannot understand why this decision would be made, in exactly the same way I couldn’t understand Jerrett being left on the list for 2018.

I’m not even sure Long is VFL level, but I still have him above Henneman.
Not delisting Jerrett doesn’t seem to have hurt us.
To an extent you’ll never know, of course.
I hope the same goes here, although I really, really doubt it.
I think we’ll know.

free agency of any type and trades don’t count.

1 Like

Henno looked alright at one point, then he didn’t. 2002? Played most of the year.
More analogous to jerrett than Long. IMO.

1 Like

Even more analgous to an AA FB.
Not that I’m bitter.

8 games in 2000, 19 games in 2001.

Pretty handy teams to play in.

Analogous to Jerrett indeed - reached a certain performance level and didn’t improve any further.

So in googling Billy Hartung (to try and find a silly picture for a joke post - fail) I have discovered that an unnamed person writes Billy Hartung fan fiction.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/43297223-billy-hartung-fanfiction-afl-hawthorn

Now we can’t prove that Wim wrote it, so all we can say is that allegedly WIM WRITES HARTUNG FANFICTON (allegedly)

3 Likes

McNeice 1yr cat b rookie extension

Member email just sent.

Ahead of the AFL’s list lodgement deadline, we have offered Ben McNiece a one year deal as a category B rookie.

The defender was recruited by Essendon as a category B rookie through the next generation academy in November 2016, and has played 10 games in the red and black.

GM List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, said McNiece has displayed promising signs since arriving at The Hangar.

“With injury hampering his progress in his first season, it has no doubt been frustrating for Ben,” Dodoro said.

“Despite the setback, Ben has shown great determination throughout his two years on the list.

“He is a quality young man and we are excited to see what he can achieve in 2019.”

Under AFL rules, a category B rookie can be promoted to the senior list if a player from the club suffers a long-term injury.

The Club has now made the following changes to its list;

De-listed – Brendon Goddard, Jackson Merrett and Josh Green
Traded – Travis Colyer (Fremantle)
Recruited – Dylan Shiel

Seems rogue that we can ‘Upgrade’ him to a Cat A rookie last year and now put him back on the B list. Bit of a loophole in the system.

Also interesting to see what happens to that Irish guy we were interested in, could be the only club (from memory) to take the max 3 CatB rookies into next year.

Now we have the 1 CatA rookie spot open and either 3 or 4 senior spots depending on Dea.

1 Like

Just had a look, they have fixed it and removed Long’s name.

I have seen this information only on Blitz I think, but there was never any announcement of a Rookie upgrade last year that allowed him to play, so it seemed to be true, until this new announcement.

McNiece was 100% a CatA rookie this year.

Isn’t it weird that this list change is announced, however despite the AFL website telling us Long has been retained for another year and that Baguley was been demoted to a Rookie, the official email today mentions neither of those changes to the list?

1 Like

Just Matty Dea to go now. Will be interesting to see if he is doing the police thing, or staying on.

Currently have up to 4 national draft picks (minimum of 2), and 1 rookie draft pick (maximum of 3 if we don’t fill the senior list), plus 1 spot left on the Cat B rookie list.