Anom!

Pretty good story this one…

The FBI and Europol have revealed more details of the massive crime bust that dealt a significant blow to organised crime gangs in just 24 hours.

In a press conference overnight, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said that along with the Australian Federal Police (AFP), authorities had had “turned the tables” on criminals and criminal organisations after fooling them to use a covert encrypted app

6 Likes

Old mate who gave his crim colleagues the app is in a wee bit of trouble

3 Likes

The app was “Nose Candy Crush”

8 Likes

If they’d just read the Ts&Cs for the app the bit that said “all traffic will be provided to law enforcement and may be used to incriminate the user” none of this would have happened. But no-one ever reads the Ts&Cs.

8 Likes

This is the best!

Amazing piece of policing. My law enforcement mates were absolutely buzzing about this yesterday. So so good.

3 Likes

I texted an AFP mate last night and his reply was “Dumbarses”.

5 Likes

It would be a tough call to wrap this up. The longer it ran, the more you’d catch. But at some point you need to action the intel, which ends it.

The amazing thing about it is that there was knowledge about it in probably 20 different policing agencies over 3 years and not one leak.

6 Likes

It was encrypted- how was it going to leak :wink:

1 Like

Wouldn’t surprise me if once built very few people knew it’s true identity.

And even then after it was built different people branded it

It was also in the early stages of being exposed. Some tech geek got their hands on a unit and did some investigating themselves. They published in a tech mag very recently. Law Enforcement probably had no choice.

1 Like
3 Likes

Amazing policing. Will be a movie one day

In related news 200 Collingwood members have been arrested…

4 Likes

Police are struggling to charge 200 North supporters because as a cost saving measure they shared the single phone they could collectively afford.

1 Like

I just do all my drug deals on Facebook messenger.

The cops have never contacted me, but I do get inundated with ads for resealable sandwich bags, digital scales, and investment opportunities for medicinal marijuana startups.

10 Likes

Hiding in plain sight, nice. None of this skulking around in shadows, wasting time with encrypting stuff, smart.

Cops will never think of it.

1 Like

You can hit me up @drugdealer on Twitter.

2 Likes

My friend recently bought ummm… a legal product… yes… and apparently the current distribution of perfectly legal produce is sealed in Australia Post bags and delivered by uber to the door. Amazing.

1 Like

Yeah, something tells me that Australia Post is (inadvertantly) the biggest drug distribution network in Australia.

2 Likes