Another year over - and what have you learned?

So - another one down.
No matter your age - have you leaned anything of value this year? Whether material, social, emotional, skill - anything at all?

This is kinda the reverse of a New Year’s Resolution thread. Instead of listing what you want to do in the coming year - list what you have achieved or accomplished for the outgoing year.

Let’s see, me:

I’ve learned to delete 80% of my online posts before submitting them.
I’ve continued to learn that my kids are not kids anymore.
I’ve learned that my physical health is a little better than I thought at the start of the year.
I’ve leaned how to make some wicked cocktails - including my current favourite - Long Island Iced Tea. Which has no tea in it, I’ve learned.
I have consolidated my knowledge that the lives of others are as important as my own.
I’ve learned that grief from great personal loss manifests itself in many ways.
I’ve discovered while cleaning out the garage, that throwing away years and years of things I’ve hung on to was not as difficult as I thought it would be.
I’ve discovered a myriad of new sources of entertainment and news to fill the gaps from shunning the mainstream.
I’ve begun learning another language, to counter the fading knowledge of previous languages I’ve learned.
I’ve been able to maintain my non-smoking status - it’s 2.5 years now. So I’ve learned I can kick its ■■■.

I’ve adopted two sayings as a way of looking at life:

1. It’s about the journey, not the destination
  2. Measure your wealth in experience, not your bank balance

A good mate of mine died in January this year…one of the last conversations I had with him was about how I had taken time off from working after being made redundant in June last year. He had a rare form of liver cancer and knew that he was dying. He was quite wealthy and was now realising that he had spent all his life chasing wealth without ever really enjoying the fruits of his labours. He spoke of how he had planned to travel in a few years time when he thought he would be ready to give up work.

I still haven’t gone back to work although my finances are starting to get a bit low…I’ve enjoyed the last 18 months ticking things off my bucket list…I’ve taken my daughter on a holiday, I’ve caught up with old friends (some of who I hadn’t seen for over 30 years), I’ve been to Africa, Europe, Asia and North America and I’ve helped organise a primary school reunion for early next year (I left primary school at the end of 1971).

In short, I’ve lived my life in the present without overly worrying about what might happen in the future…and I recommend that to everyone.

My mate was only 55 when he died.

Great stuff guys!

I’ve learned not to buy a crewman because they are rubbish and empathy to some degree.

I’ve learned that only me and Bomber Matriach use Spotify.

Learned that the world of complementary medicine is full of more broscience than the fitness industry, and this even extends to things taught at degree and post-grad level

@swoodley reminds me of this saying

It’s a weird sort of a day. Everything is quiet. A small crowd of mixed race people have gathered on the front lawn. Black and white people. Margo Robbie has just walked past. I told her I wanted to be with her twice, preferably tonight and all of tomorrow. She told me to ■■■■ off. So nothing’s changed on New Year’s Day.

• Ive learned to not worry about the small things.
  • Switch off when at home and spend more time with the children.
  • weightloss is harder than it looks. Still have a very long way to go.

For me it’s more truly appreciating things as I get a bit older:

• Many people are fickle, and your true friends come to light when your chips are down.
  • The same people who whinge about wanting change but do nothing about it will be the first to ridicule you for being proactive and pushing for improvements.
  • A positive attitude and willingness to learn earns more kudos than acting like you know everything.
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot (still finding this a bit difficult!).
I've learned that only me and Bomber Matriach use Spotify.

I’ve learnt wimmera1 has me on ignore in that thread.

That it’s okay to not be okay and to break occasionally.

I learned that you can have a fark carlton supporter for a friend.
I learned that my dogs improve my outlook on life.
I also learned the next time I’m in Melbourne I’m hitting up Deckham for some long island iced tea.

I've learned that only me and Bomber Matriach use Spotify.

I’ve learnt wimmera1 has me on ignore in that thread.

Where’s your playlist?!?

I learned that you can have a fark carlton supporter for a friend. I learned that my dogs improve my outlook on life. I also learned the next time I'm in Melbourne I'm hitting up Deckham for some long island iced tea.

That stuff is lethal. Once I had a sip in a nightclub, chucked within about 10 seconds. Couldn’t even get to the toilet. Though it was a King St venue, so it was probably the classiest thing to happen there that evening. I didn’t vomit on myself at all, so I was free to keep drinking :slight_smile:

instaban

I learned that you can have a fark carlton supporter for a friend. I learned that my dogs improve my outlook on life. I also learned the next time I'm in Melbourne I'm hitting up Deckham for some long island iced tea.

That stuff is lethal. Once I had a sip in a nightclub, chucked within about 10 seconds. Couldn’t even get to the toilet. Though it was a King St venue, so it was probably the classiest thing to happen there that evening. I didn’t vomit on myself at all, so I was free to keep drinking :slight_smile:

A “sip”

instaban

Salt mines