Anti - umpire people power

I can’t remember the opposition but I remember the venue and it was Windy Hill. They started on him as he walked out with references to slavery and Africa and what not, this was the time of “Roots”, and it was from Dons fans because that’s where I sat. A life long lesson in a single afternoon. Not sure if we won or lost on the scoreboard but we lost where it counted.
So how many indigenous umpires have there been?

I remember James, when I was a kid, and thought he wasn’t a bad umpire, at least cf some I’ve seen since. We didn’t have State-centric bias then though.

1 Like

They don’t. Making umpires full time isn’t going to help. They know the rules. They are fit. Its the decision making that is the problem. No amount of practice is going to fix that. What are they going to do all week?

1 Like

I reckon the problem is more with the rules than the umpires. So much room for interpretation… so much hangs on what an umpire thinks the players intention is.

Get rid of the dumbass rules like ruck nominations, protected area and prior opportunity and it becomes clearer, tighter and far more clear cut.

9 Likes

Poor umpires make the game all about themselves. It’s impossible to do other but to notice them and their ■■■■ calls.

Can easily see that tallying up to 30 a game.

You can’t get rid of prior opportunity…what it needs is to do is to get rid of that as the sole reason. If a guy’s tackled with no prior opportunity and the ball isn’t held to him, he should be penalised.

And the protected area should be clearcut…not this silly 10 metre stuff. If a guy is following his man and having no impact on the man with the ball, let it go. What they should be a lot more careful with is not allowing anyone to stand too close behind the player with the ball. And no interfering with the man on the mark, i.e. teammates have to stay away too.

How about the carnt on the mark actually has to stand on it none of this east west creeping 5 metres bullshit to cut off the angle. If the player with the ball can’t even take a half step without being called play on then they Should be made to stand the mark, if they want to cut off the angle then they’ll have to use another player to guard that space

4 Likes

How about the umpires wake up to the fact that the player running in and pointing to the mark is cheating by 5 metres.

3 Likes

Loved Big Tommy saying Fark you and marking out the exact spot of each mark

1 Like

Exactly.

I just read that Dean Margettes’ wife works for West Coast. WTF is he doing umpiring any game they’re involved in? AFL integrity at work again… FMD.

8 Likes

Bounce

1 Like

Make them full time so they take their job seriously. Maybe if the umpires only have one job they’ll ■■■■ up less otherwise they’ll be unemployed

Dean Margetts is just an over officiating narcissist. It was good to hear BT call him on it (being over officiating during the telecast)

The one that was an obvious double standard, Shuey blatantly pushes Tippa in the back, no free. Not 10 seconds later Tippa taps Shuey in the back and Shuey dives in the ground, free kick… might have been undisciplined by Tippa, but ■■■■ me… be even!

3 Likes

That is incredible. No conflict of interest there.

Is she “employed” there in the same way that Judd’s wife was “employed” so he would go to FCFC?

Thanks for checking, mate!

Luckily for my blood pressure, I was not In Australia* so I didn’t see the maggots at what sounds like peak maggotry.

Luckily for EFC supporters everywhere, Essendon played at its peak**.

*I am in Florida with a 12 hour time difference.

**All of Essendon’s wins in Perth have been when I have been out of the country.

Best you migrate then!

2 Likes

Don’t you start! You shot down my Kickstarter campaign earlier this year when I volunteered to make a sacrifice for the club by moving o/s

2 Likes