Anti - umpire people power

Speaking of the non calls on Thursday night, the worst would have to be that at almost every around the ground ruck contest was where Nic Nat basically molested TBell to the point of tackling him out of the way to get to the ball without one free to Tommy.

And then when TBell gives him a tummy rub out of frustration Nic Nat goes down like Cristiano Ronaldo in the WC to try and draw a free.

Fark me the standard of the game has really gone down hill in all facets to the point that it has lost any professionalism, if it ever had any to begin with.

You would think that in respect of fairness and transparency that the AFL would scheduledat least one or two umpires from other states for Eagles games. Not all three including a WC cheerleader who’s wife works at the eagles…

You don’t have to be a tin foil hat conspirator to think that some kind of subtle manipulation is at work.

Go write a letter.

1 Like

I watched the first two quarters again

Margetts is just a blatant cheat, every 50/50 call that could prob be let go ends up in WC favour.

And ours are non-calls

1 Like

I refuse to accept that umpiring is part of a grand corruption scheme by the evil overlords who have it in for the Bombers.

I did nearly pop a foofer valve on Thursday night though.

This game is just farking horrible to umpire. The rules are all over the place and counter-intuitive. Everything is open to interpretation. There is no recourse when mistakes are made, other than to try to ‘even it up’. The media enhance the circus by employing so-called ‘tough guys’ to tell everyone why someone should not be penalised, or how one team is laudably playing ‘unsociable footy’, or turning blind eyes to outrageous indictable on-field actions.

Players & coaches or any club personnel are not allowed to comment on decisions, further hiding the extraordinarily inept umpiring going on in most games. Take any game, any time. Sit a dozen current umpires in front of a big screen and play it to them. Freeze the action after every questionable action, before a whistle is blown. And get totally different ‘interpretations’ of what happened. It’s a farking joke. And footy fans go on about soccer and dives - we’re no better.

And what really ■■■■■■ me off are those who go on about how this adds ‘colour’ to the game, and it’s ‘what makes the game great’. Fark off you ■■■■■■■ morons. I don’t blame the umpires - some are a lot better than others. What I blame is the dead-end nature of the whole process - from the constant rule changes, to the interpretations on-field, to the commentators and their agendas and biases, to the pathetic inconsistencies in reviewing reported offences, to silencing of the entire process by those who should be encouraged to publicly air their views.

This will never get better, because this game is and always will be a glorified back-water wannabe game that exists to make wealthy people wealthier.

8 Likes

Wash your mouth out, we are far better. Every 5 minutes on SBS I see a soccerer “doing a Natanui”. Aussie rules is a 360 degree game using the whole body that makes soccer look like an excuse to stand around and sing. And if you are worried about sports that enrich the wealthy, I will leave you to your Gaelic Athletic Association and vigoro, because association football is clearly not for you.

Did you see what happened to Neymar last night?

I was more surprised by the way a pat on the head rendered two Costa Ricans comatose.

Did you hear the commentators laud it up?
Are the managers and players allowed to critisise the decisions?
Are the players rightly humiliated afterwards?
Has VAR been introduced which is now catching a lot of these dives out?

What do we have? A farking low-res camera gaffa-taped to a wobbly goal post? What a farkin joke.

3 Likes

[quote=“Deckham, post:109, topic:13418”]
Did you hear the commentators laud it up? No
Are the managers and players allowed to critisise the decisions? Probably, but they see this kind of butter-soft behaviour as normal and leave their serious whingeing for the umpires
Are the players rightly humiliated afterwards? Not to my knowledge, though I haven’t renewed by subscription to the Costa Rican Morning Herald
Has VAR been introduced which is now catching a lot of these dives out? If that were an improvement it was coming off a very low base

What do we have? A farking low-res camera gaffa-taped to a wobbly goal post? What a farkin joke. **So the issue is not umpiring, it’s pixel ratio?

I normally like your posts Deckham, perhaps I misread you here. To me aussie rules is just a far better sport than soccer, even with the umpiring difficulties and the cultural cringe some of its followers display.

[quote=“up_up, post:110, topic:13418, full:true”]

Which sport is preferred is viewers’ choice, of course. Soccer is definitely more corrupt, the entire system is more corrupt, the staging is ridiculous, the standard in Australia is sub-par, the players are over-paid, and worry too much about their hair. On top of all that, I do love footy.
But fark this umpiring business.

1 Like

Soccer is a great game for keeping the girls fit for netball.
Although it does tend to make them a bit soft.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this stat has been mentioned, but the free kick count for West Coast’s last four home games is 109-52.

4 Likes

I don’t buy the conspiracy theories either. I think the umpires just have far too much latitude in the game today. Rules have been changed for the worse under the “interpretation” rubbish.
Holding the ball, and push in the back have been completely ruined by “interpretation”
They have simply been given a licence to turn rules on and off like a tap, even during games.
To me they are completely ■■■■■■■ the game at the moment. They seem to be able to just run the way the game is played based on their feelings from one week to another. Commentators and journalist seem to complely shy away from any criticism of them what so.
There has been a big shift in recent years, and it’s quite weird how fundamental foundation rules of the game are being so ■■■■■■ around with , not only week to week, but quarter to quarter and nobody is saying anything about it

4 Likes

Exactly.
And then you have bozos saying things like … surely you have to give him that mark, umpire - look how high he climbed!
This is finals footy - you gotta let that kind of thing go!
You can’t pay that in the goal square!
…Just letting him know he has to earn it…
Giving him one to go with…

2 Likes

Add holding / wrestling at boundary throw ins and when a forward and defender area wrestling one out. It’s a complete lottery. We need less.rules in the game. Not more silly technical interpretations . If it requires a technical interpretation then just drop the rule altogether. These silly 50/50 rules never please anyone and it’s impossible to ever get them right, so just ditch these rules altogether

4 Likes

We all like the game better when they let the play go so why not consider actually ditching some rules altogether, instead of constantly ■■■■■■■ around and adding more rules.

4 Likes

I like you, Tezza.

1 Like

They are all complaining about congestion as an example, there are far too many holding / dropping the ball. Most of them are just ridiculous and actually slow the game down. The pace of the game and amount of small collision, ball falls out most of the time and sometimes, just sometimes they pay one.
Paying these fees just actually slows the game down, pay the howlers, or ditch it altogether

1 Like

Nooo…we’d rather introduce ‘zones’ and ‘invasion of space’ and ‘ruck nominations’ farken idiots.

1 Like