Anxiety/Stress

Not 100% sure where to put this thread.

I have always been a pretty strong sort of person. Unfortunately 2015 has completely screwed me to the point that yesterday I was told by my doctor that I had pretty much had a breakdown.

I knew I was struggling badly as I had distanced myself from people I am friendly with (Reboot, Fairybread), had panic attacks including vomiting on Sunday nights after getting myself worked up over work, and was on the whole a genuinely miserable grumpy pain in the ■■■■ to be around.

I have always been the type to push through issues but for some reason this time I couldn’t.

I don’t write this for sympathy but I want to get the point across to any other blitzer who is struggling with life that the greatest thing you can do is admit you have a problem and face it head on.

I have taken time off work and intend to get back to doing what I enjoy in life.

I want to be the old Nickyd who loved life and I am sure I will get there.

I have always been a pretty strong sort of person. Unfortunately 2015 has completely screwed me to the point that yesterday I was told by my doctor that I had pretty much had a breakdown.

I knew I was struggling badly as I had distanced myself from people I am friendly with (Reboot, Fairybread), had panic attacks including vomiting on Sunday nights after getting myself worked up over work, and was on the whole a genuinely miserable grumpy pain in the ■■■■ to be around.

I have always been the type to push through issues but for some reason this time I couldn’t.

I don’t write this for sympathy but I want to get the point across to any other blitzer who is struggling with life that the greatest thing you can do is admit you have a problem and face it head on.

I have taken time off work and intend to get back to doing what I enjoy in life.

Hmmmm....Sounds familiar,

I noticed you weren’t around as much and missed you. This is probably why Cowan is not playing for Australia at the moment, his fan club has not been pushing his cause on 'Blitz.

When you say “anxious” and “getting worked up”, what happens? Do you find that your breathing becomes more rapid and your body gets warmer? It’s easy to say it from my chair but I found I was getting stressed (not as bad as you it seems) and I found it was work related. Yeah we all joke about work and ■■■■ like that but I found I was getting so worked up over the smallest issues due to other factors at work so I decided to quit. Now, this isn’t the option for all (probably only a few actually) because I had something else to go into.

I have a friend who went through something you seem to be going through and he basically did a “cull” of his friends because they were the negative ones and they were bringing him down and he kept his other friends who he could relax with and enjoy their company.

Taking time off work is a good thing but you still need to address what is making you sick and why because you don’t want to go back to it as well. Are you back in the Real Estate game?

Everyone is different but for me, my stress relief is football. Sounds stupid because I get so worked up over it as well but for those 2-3 hours I literally think about nothing but football. If you’re like this, maybe go to a local game down in tassie or go and watch the tin rattlers and the poos & wees. Of course, you may not have the time for it but see if you can make some time.

And keep in touch with 'Boot, he needs someone to ban.

Thank you nickyd for being brave to share your story. Best of luck in fighting those demons.

Been there Nick, it is a tough place.

Good on you mate.

I’ve been anxious my whole life and most people wouldn’t know it.

The perception of an episode of mental illness is often thought of a brain thing. The vomiting you mentioned is closer to my experience. Its a mixture of sick deep in your stomach and overwhelming intuition that something is not right.

I find just one or two of the mindfulness techniques i’ve learnt are helpful and even just knowing they are there can calm me.

You may feel it now but you are far from alone mate.

Give me a call you big galoot!
Times like this are what friends are for.

yep, anxiety sucks. i haven’t personally suffered from it, but a fair few people close to me have. i’m not sure whether the docs are more efficient with diagnosing it, but it does seem to be a lot more prevalent and serious these days.

good luck with it all, nicky.

Good luck with it nicky

Good on you nickyd, and thanks. :slight_smile:

Keep talking Nicky
:slight_smile:

Head up mate. Hopefully you turn a corner soon.

yep, anxiety sucks. i haven't personally suffered from it, but a fair few people close to me have. i'm not sure whether the docs are more efficient with diagnosing it, but it does seem to be a lot more prevalent and serious these days.

Personally, I think it is the lifestyle we live. We expect stores to be open 7 days a week, if delivery is 5-7 days we expect 5 days. If Blitz goes down we expect the volunteer site admin to drop what he is doing and fix it immediately.

And I think this comes about because people expect the world from us (or we think they expect it) and we don’t have that “meh, it will come” or “meh, we’ll deal with it when it happens” attitude anymore.

yep, anxiety sucks. i haven't personally suffered from it, but a fair few people close to me have. i'm not sure whether the docs are more efficient with diagnosing it, but it does seem to be a lot more prevalent and serious these days.

Personally, I think it is the lifestyle we live. We expect stores to be open 7 days a week, if delivery is 5-7 days we expect 5 days. If Blitz goes down we expect the volunteer site admin to drop what he is doing and fix it immediately.

And I think this comes about because people expect the world from us (or we think they expect it) and we don’t have that “meh, it will come” or “meh, we’ll deal with it when it happens” attitude anymore.

Nah.

Its not an attitude or an emotional response. Its an illness.

That’s why, if you are dealing with it, so much of the support is just utterly meaningless. No fault of those trying to help you but whether you look fine in your outfit or not is only the reason you are using to try and escape going to a party that makes you feel like you are going to be hunted.

Nah.

Its not an attitude or an emotional response. Its an illness.

That’s why, if you are dealing with it, so much of the support is just utterly meaningless. No fault of those trying to help you but whether you look fine in your outfit or not is only the reason you are using to try and escape going to a party that makes you feel like you are going to be hunted.

Actually it can be “all of the above”, it depends on the person.

I noticed you weren’t around as much and missed you. This is probably why Cowan is not playing for Australia at the moment, his fan club has not been pushing his cause on 'Blitz.

When you say “anxious” and “getting worked up”, what happens? Do you find that your breathing becomes more rapid and your body gets warmer? It’s easy to say it from my chair but I found I was getting stressed (not as bad as you it seems) and I found it was work related. Yeah we all joke about work and ■■■■ like that but I found I was getting so worked up over the smallest issues due to other factors at work so I decided to quit. Now, this isn’t the option for all (probably only a few actually) because I had something else to go into.

I have a friend who went through something you seem to be going through and he basically did a “cull” of his friends because they were the negative ones and they were bringing him down and he kept his other friends who he could relax with and enjoy their company.

Taking time off work is a good thing but you still need to address what is making you sick and why because you don’t want to go back to it as well. Are you back in the Real Estate game?

Everyone is different but for me, my stress relief is football. Sounds stupid because I get so worked up over it as well but for those 2-3 hours I literally think about nothing but football. If you’re like this, maybe go to a local game down in tassie or go and watch the tin rattlers and the poos & wees. Of course, you may not have the time for it but see if you can make some time.

Cowan is dead to me since he left Tasmania. It is all about Silk and Doran these days.

When I get worked up I get really bad stomach pains that usually result in vomiting. The fact this happens on a Sunday is probably a reasonable indicator. I work in IR (the good Union side not the evil HR side) which is a naturally stressful and highly combative environment. When my father passed I threw myself into work to escape which has been a horrendous idea as I never really did the whole grieving thing properly.

No idea if I will go back to the same job next year but the first thing I need to do is just chill out for a bit and get my head right.

Like you footy is my big release valve (hours of screaming abuse at the TV). I also intend to get back into surfing.

Head up mate. Hopefully you turn a corner soon.

Thanks mate. Honestly I think admitting I have an issue is turning the corner.

Keep talking to your support network and loved ones. Depression and anxiety are a ■■■■ of a thing to have. Wishing you all the best xo

Good to see you back on Blitz, our trademark positivity is sure to help :neutral:

Cowan is dead to me since he left Tasmania. It is all about Silk and Doran these days.

When I get worked up I get really bad stomach pains that usually result in vomiting. The fact this happens on a Sunday is probably a reasonable indicator. I work in IR (the good Union side not the evil HR side) which is a naturally stressful and highly combative environment. When my father passed I threw myself into work to escape which has been a horrendous idea as I never really did the whole grieving thing properly.

No idea if I will go back to the same job next year but the first thing I need to do is just chill out for a bit and get my head right.

Like you footy is my big release valve (hours of screaming abuse at the TV). I also intend to get back into surfing.

Do it nicky, … salt water therapy is good for this stuff. If you’ve had a long break though, may I suggest hitting the pool for a few weeks/months prior to get some fitness back first. Floundering out there & or drowning is not good for the esteem. :wink:

And the exercise from swimming 2 - 3 times a week is good for stress/anxiety relief in itself.

Keep punching mate.

Good to see you back on Blitz, our trademark positivity is sure to help :neutral:

for the love of god, keep day-tripper on ignore nicky!