ANZAC Day build up and changes

One of these would be bluddy handy crossing the Nulla, …

REDEMPTION IS SWEET FOR MAYNE

2 Likes

With Hooker back we’ll roll this mob. The pies still rely on their clearances and contested ball to generate their scores. Sidebottom aside there’s not a lot of class in this mob. A counter punching setup, like we used vs Port, on the wide open deck of the MCG will see us carve them up. Fanta to kick 5.

2 Likes

Not convinced of that. Winning turnover in the back half and relying on slingshot or counter punch is fine if there isn’t a lot of pressure on the ball coming out of the back half but one thing I reckon we can count on is pressure from them, especially with their smaller mobile forward line. Ultimately back half turnover and rebound footy isn’t sustainable under significant pressure because eventually you’ll be forced into slow wide ball movement or turnover.

We don’t need to win the clearance battle but we need to be competitive and break even, especially in centre clearances cause I reckon whoever we go with in the ruck will get mauled around the ground by Grundy.

Agree that having Hooker back helps but if we’re relying on rebound from defence then I think we’re gonna struggle to generate enough F50 entries to kick a winning score… as has been our tail of woe for the last 15mths.

2 Likes

Pendles and Grundy say hi!

1 Like

Pendles isn’t what he once was, though he loves playing ANZAC Day so I wouldn’t put it past him to wind back the clock

Its Anzac day, even the spud pies will lift and look like Brownlow Medalists. We will need to be at the top of our game to win.

2 Likes

On a dry deck Collingwood will put in a massive work rate and try to outspread us every time , and setup their overlap run with Sidebottom last in the chain. But they do have a weaker spine and as long as its dry, and we match the workrate we should be OK. If its wet… its bad for us. I hope the coaches have been teaching/ training these players how to play in wet conditions, and can match the Collingwood pressure so we can make a game of it.

I’m a little concerned - their strength (mids) is our weakness. You can get the ball as a mid and you can kick goals as a mid - if they’re kicking straight, we’re going to need some outstanding conversion rates from Daniher, Stringer, Fant et al

My tip… we have less shots for goal, less possies. less inside 50s etc. but win it by 20 through better conversion.

I’m off to Ladbrokes to blow my paycheck on a 20:1

I don’t tend to bet on us (my judgement is way too clouded) but I am shocked to see the Pies favourites for this game. The market has put too much stock in their wet weather win against Adelaide. That said, hopefully it stays that way.

The pies were even favourites late last season, easiest money I’ve ever won.

1 Like

If Fantasia is out then that surely saves Begley?

Only question is who replaces him and who do we rotate in and out in the next few weeks?

If we didn’t have Guefli as a debutant from last week then I’d have strong money on Clarke debuting for Fantasia, but more likely for the Melbourne game.

Then for the Melbourne game I’d say we’ll drop/rest Begley and bring in Jerrett, Lav (with another week of fitness) and Langford, Clarke, Brown, Ambrose and McKernan. Jerrett with his body you’d have to think would be a certainity, you don’t want to debut 3-4 guys with Ridley/Zerk/Clarke/Guefli in the space of 2 weeks.

In trying to pick players to play a role if Raz doesn’t get up would come from Jerrett or Long IMO

Forward pressure first and foremost, kicking snags secondly.

That or they go more a medium and bring in LAV, he’s quick as well, tackles and also dangerous fwd.

Hoping Raz doesn’t miss though.

Long hasn’t even played VFL yet so put a line through him. Pretty sure @theDJR said in the VFL thread on the weekend that Long is injured

2 Likes

I worry that they would bring in Lav and play him as a forward. It’d throw our balance off again and make us too top heavy. I think Lavs greatest overrated attribute is his agility. Gets spoken up as some agile speed demon when really I dont think hes that agile. if he plays forward he plays tall, hes not a medium forward who applies pressure like Begley.

Perhaps bring Lav in, move Tippa off a wing and put him in the forward pocket. That may work

Yep.

As much as the decision to keep Jerrett on list was given a lot of stick. Instances like this with an experienced role player who knows game plan are probably why.

A benfti special debuting would have been great though.

If we turn up and apply ourselves at the contest like we did for a lot of the game last week (a few lapses aside) they shouldn’t score over 70 with Hooker back there.

No change for Anzac Day, fair enough.

But what about the next match — it’s a fukking four-day turn-around !

MStart Daniher in ruck to counter Grundy
Rotate with Stewart Belly forward first quarter and assess after it
Copy Cox strategy of palming to players running past when in pack mark scenario
Tag Sidebottom early with Guelfi and protect Merret re tag where possible
Hooker back
Daniher Stewart high Centre half forward when not rucking
One on one if Magpies get a leg up
Corridor where possible fast delivery to running talls and smalls
Max tackling pressure all day especially from small forwards
Daniher 3 Stewart 4 stringer 5 tax 3 Tippa 2 green 2 Belly 2
GO BOMBERS

1 Like