ANZAC Day Review thread

Some observers had Hurls as BOG.

Really tough one to answer. It’s hard for Hurley to organise a structural fault. I mean he’s responsible for an accurate kick out, he can’t really stand there and tell 4 or 5 blokes to change position (Goddard would probably try it!). It might be alright at training to correct it but having 90000 in the crowd might make the communication difficult, as well as limited time to kick the ball in. I think the coaches spoke to the mids at half time about fixing a problem that they were creating, because it happened less in the 2nd half.

they weren’t presenting at all, had aview down the ground adn they just fkg stood there waiting for some otherworldly kick to land in their lap.

1 Like

I miss Hibberd in this sense.

1 Like

Just a shout out to the fact that Collingwood suffered a terrible goal review. Was stone cold evidence it wasn’t touched but still a behind. This league sucks.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Was a real issue all day. One of the reasons I was annoyed at how they were saying Collingwood’s inaccuracy cost them. In that ‘bad’ burst in the second quarter when Collingwood kicked 2.4, we actually won the centre clearances as much as they did. All those points did was give them more opportunities to kick points. It wasn’t good by us, but if they’d kicked accurately they wouldn’t have had 6 shots.

The problem with that is that they’re not usually that close to the goals after a behind. I’d like to see McGrath be given responsibility with some of the kickins in the future .

Perhaps both. If more of them are pushing back for the long option, then maybe more space becomes available to execute the shorter kick.

Absolutely spot on, the same thing happened the week prior against adelaide, i can’t believe they allow hurley to still take the kickouts. As soon as we changed it up, we actually got outta there and got things back on our terms.

Two major positives outta the game for mine were:

• our best players are all pretty much < 25 years old, other than goddard who has been superb this year, it’s been pretty much all coming from the young guys, the old guys have been pretty poor though.
  • Every week so far one of our small forwards has gotten off the leash and even the ones that haven’t kicked multiple goals have still been good pressure wise (apart from the carlton game). I think every game bar that one we have had one of our small forwards kick 3 or 4.
1 Like

Did a rewatch. Thoughts.

• watching closely confirmed a suspicion I had at the ground. I know this is controversial, but Hurley was pretty rubbish. His man (Fasolo) killed him all day. His kick outs were rubbish. A few decent interceptions and good kicks from D50 shouldn’t change that. Lucky Fasolo’s goal kicking was so bad.
  • Goddard is having a great year.
  • Stanton did a little more than I thought, but still way off it.
  • I’m loving Hooker forward.
  • Colyer was so ‘almost’. A lot of things went wrong, change those and even with the low possessions he has a huge impact.
  • umpiring was better than I’d thought
  • Parish was great collecting it. But needs to be cleaner with disposal. A lot of possessions were not used well, even when he had time.
  • boy do the media love Kelly
  • Brown, McNeice, McGrath and Ambrose were very dependable. Although Ambrose did have a few bad moments.
  • Heppell was great early, but was far less present later.
  • the forward line is a thing of developing beauty. :grin:

It was inconclusive so it stayed umpire’s call. The one they really got done on was the in the back against Fasolo in the square.

2 Likes

If you think it wasn’t touched then the goal review guy evened up in Q3 because Wells “goal” clearly went the wring side of the post and should have been called a behind. On the replay, from behind the goal, you can clearly see the ball disappear very briefly as it passes in front of the right goal post and thus just goes the wrong side.

The review guy didn’t have the courage to call it - he said umpire’s call and the umpire, with a massive Pie army behind him cheering like it was a goal, agreed with them.

He didn’t say “umpires call”. I think he said “confirm behind”.

Yeah, I’m with you. There were a couple of outstandlingly obvious HTB decisions should’ve gone our way in the third, but all in all you prefer to see the whistle tucked away. I’ve no doubt there were a couple should’ve gone their way as well - I don’t tend to notice those as much!

I think there’s a bit too much focus on the umps in AFL footy. Players make mistakes left right and centre but when the umps screw up it’s replayed a hundred times. And they’re not the ones earning the big bucks out there. I yell and carry on as much as the next supporter when I’m watching the game but in the cold light of day you need to move on. My message to anyone who reckons the umpiring is bad: if you want to make it worse then keep moaning, because that endless criticism is what stops young people from putting their hands up to umpire, and that smaller gene pool is already adversely affecting the quality coming through.

6 Likes

On the Mason Cox one you’re right - the field umpire said touched, Hurley absolutely believed it was touched and the review guy agreed.

I don’t think it was touched either. What the umpire heard was Zerrett’s hand touching the boot (not the ball), and he mistook that double noise for the ball being touched. Easy mistake to make, and the replay was never going to prove otherwise - there’d have to have been daylight between Zerrett’s hand and the ball and you’d need about 50 different camera angles to capture that.

Agree with everything in your post, particularly the hurley and brown parts. Brown has been very good recently, deserves to keep his place over Hartley at the moment.

1 Like

Possible to get a link for the game in here?

Hurley’s a great kick but sometimes lacks that Hird-vision in picking his target. He took a kick out in the last quarter and had an Essendon player free at centre-half back (and running into open space towards the left flank) and Hurls just bombed it to the same old spot … right half-back flank.

1 Like

Didums for the sus goal review. What about the 5 consecutive htb decisions which were not given to us, and resulted in a Collingwood goal.

3 Likes

Yep, I’m with you. I wasn’t complaining about the review (far from it - I was rapt with the call!) … just pointing out that it was incorrect.

1 Like

Funny that. But some will tell you he’s cooked…

2 Likes