ANZAC Day Review thread

I think we’re already doing it a fair bit

So, does anyone have a link to the replay that works for those of Is sitting overseas at present, either YouTube or Estonia would suffice.

That forward line up looks delicious, mouth watering good.

1 Like

I had fifty on him and Raz - would have been nice but great to see Joe Dan get it.

Terrific, thanks

1 Like

Giants and Crows may not be “mid-table sides”, but I’m not convinced Geelong isn’t, and the Bulldogs even last year were only a mid table side who happened to hit form and be in the right place at the right time. They may be more than mid table quality, but there’s a way to go this year.

2 Likes

The question is, are we more a mid mid table team as opposed to an upper mid table or lower mid table side?

2 Likes

We’ll find out soon enough. A win this week to go 4-2 would be a good start!

1 Like

Green’s goal in the last was set up by the sort of coast-to-coast nonsense we see done to us almost every week. Tippa’s kick through two Pies though :ok_hand:

5 Likes

We do have Long, but he doesn’t look like making it. Another wouldn’t go astray, although I’m known for loving my small forwards ■■■ midfielders! But to be honest, the balance isn’t too bad. We’ve currently got Colyer, Fanta, Green and Walla who are rotating between the midfield and forward line. One could get injured and it wouldn’t necessarily be a disaster. And if we could get an upgrade on Zaharakis, we could play him more forward.

Then add your Begley, Laverde, Langford options. Its not a disaster.

So much of our 2017 draft strategy will depend on how players like Redman, Mutch, Clarke and Begley develop in the seconds. I think another tall would be the obvious weakness we need to pick up somewhere.

Thinking about the game, one thing that I thought of reflecting is how much even some of our best performers made stuff ups. JD’s “torpedo” when we had options forward of him. Fantasia twice stuffing up kicks to free players in the forward 50m. Walla dropping a few straight forward options along the HFF line. Colyer was nearly nearly man. Across the board, I feel like if the team can improve a few percentage points we could be contenders. But a bit like Buckley said, that final little bit is also miles of gap.

3 Likes

That’s the one where (as mentioned somewhere else) you can hear Bruce empty his sack in the commentary box.

Jeez, man. Way to ruin dinner.

1 Like

So, the coaches votes are interesting:

9 Joe Daniher (Ess)

5 Orazio Fantasia (Ess)

5 Zach Merrett (Ess)

4 Brendon Goddard (Ess)

3 Adam Treloar (Coll)

2 Jeremy Howe (Coll)

1 Jobe Watson (Ess)

1 Daniel Wells (Coll)

If I’ve back-counted correctly, that means:
Joe got a 5 and 4,
Raz got 5 from one coach and none from the other,
Zachy a 3 and a 2,
BJ got a 4 and 0
Treloar 3 and 0
Howe 2 and 0 and
Wells and Jobe one each.
Coaches saw the game pretty differently!

2 Likes

Not surprising, Buckley has no idea what’s going on

9 Likes

Just to point out that Merrett could be the one with 5 & 0, with Raz being 3 & 2.

To be honest, if you add in Walla I’d agree with that Essendon set of “bests” (JD, Raz, Merrett, BJ, Watson and Walla).

looking forward to the couch and Anzac Day replay tonight.

you know this this week on the AFL website !that segment about umpires decisions of week it was not shown, why was reason it was not included on their website this week not because there was so many bad unpire decisions .on Anzac day they were afraid of the blowback from the supporters

I have always loved the idea of JD on the ball. Crickey he could be better than Simon Madden! Playing him on the ball gives us another quality midfielder in the play. If he swings to forward at times and kicks goals that’s a bonus IMO. I think we missed a golden opportunity last year to give him a run at CHB, just to solidify his defensive game. He’s nearly out of the mould now and will make Buddy look like a truck pretty soon, no matter where he plays

2 Likes

This!
I ■■■■■■■ hate ALL commentators… Especially those like Brad Johnson, Dermot B who crap on and on about bs while the game going - someone kicks a goal and they hardly notice it. Still want to listen to the sound of their own voices.
Please let us have an option to select atmos only.

3 Likes