Apple TV

Does anyone use Apple TV, and is it any sort of replacement for Foxtel.

Don’t believe so. Unless you ‘hack it’ all content is streamed from you home computer or your iTunes library that is connected to your network. I don’t even think you can attach an exrnal hard drive to it.

About the best thing is that it can easily mirror what is on you iPhone or ipad screen. Easier than any other standalone tv anyway.

$15 a month for streaming on AFL app on iPad, can watch on TV using Apple TV. I think it’s brilliant.

But isn't the quality pretty ■■■■ on the AFL app?

Foxtel have that new online tv thing. Foxtel play?

I think it is the best purchase I have ever made for $100.

I used to have Foxtel (Platinum Package), and it’s great during football season, but it’s a fair swag of cash per month.

Apple TV is probably more a replacement for the Video Store.

Why would I want to get in my car, drive down to the Video Store, waste time browsing, and then they may not have what I want anyway.

It’s awesome to watch a few previews, maybe even read a customer review or 2, and then Rent (or purchase) a movie in HD, which is normally available to start viewing within a couple of minutes.

I highly doubt that I will ever step foot into a Video Store again.

Some other positives…

1. It’s a great way to watch YouTube clips.
  2. All your previously purchased Itunes content (movies, music, TV shows) are available.

Also, if you are happy to pay a nominal yearly subscription, all the music that you have imported into Itunes is made available.
  3. There are Apps for most major US Sports (NBA, NHL, MLB).

If you into any of these, and are willing to purchase a season pass, I would assume you have access to most, if not all games live.
  4. If you set up a US ITunes account (very easy to do), you have access to a vastly larger library of movies, music and TV shows.

And, you get them much earlier in some cases.

Occasionally, movies are made available pre cinema release.

As an example, I was browsing movies before on my US ITunes account.

I noticed that Lone Survivor is available to purchase for US$15.

I checked for its release date here…July 9th.

Lego Movie is also available now !
  5. Once you have a US ITunes account, it’s reasonably easy to set up accounts for Netflix & HuluPlus.

Which are your online equivalents of Foxtel (without the sports).

They are cheap as (US$8 each per month), and have heaps of content.

Qello is another and is dedicated to music.
  6. Also, if you’ve got a mobile device (IPhone, Ipad, IPad mini), you can mirror what is on your device on your TV screen using Apple TV.

Not sure if it also works with an Android device.

We get stitched a little in Oz with pricing, but Itunes cards are always on special at any given time.

Usually 20% is standard, but sometimes a servo will have 30% off.

A couple of months ago, Harvey Norman had them for 50% off, but only for 1 hour and only online.

Anyhow, as you can see, I’m a fan.

I watch all my footy now via free to air, and on my Ipad through the AFL’s League Pass, so I’m not missing Foxtel at all.

I’m sure some of the Apple oficionados around here will have more to say.

$15 a month for streaming on AFL app on iPad, can watch on TV using Apple TV. I think it's brilliant.

I have this also and agree, fkn brilliant for the price.
The only thing is, for live games, mine does not work on wifi.
I need to switch it to my cellular network (Telstra).
No trouble for me, with the added bonus that it is unmetered (I think).
However, as a consequence, I can't mirror it on my TV using Apple TV.
Can you explain to me how you mirror yours (Live games ?), and how is the resolution on a big screen ?

$15 a month for streaming on AFL app on iPad, can watch on TV using Apple TV. I think it's brilliant.

Can you explain to me how you mirror yours (Live games ?), and how is the resolution on a big screen ?

The resolution is pretty decent, it can get scrappy when buffering though. I just have to swipe up on my iPad and select Apple TV where it says airplay. Any other device I really don't know.

Thanks guys

We have NBN and I am told that makes it even better.

Are there any other tips on where to get all the movies and TV shows ?

I use a Western Digital box that connects to the tv. You can then easily plug any large hard drive to it (2TB one is handy) and using your wifi network you can copy whatever content you want over to it.

I have some movies on iTunes that can play on that thing, but it can also do avi’s among plenty of other video types. So you can erm… Download other content and watch it. That box also has access to Netflix apps, youtube, etc but is a bit tough to use a keyboard via remote. The smarhone app isn’t much better though.

I find it fits my needs perfectly.

Another important point is to turn off mirroring on the iPhone or iPad so the game video will show up on the TV screen.
The AFL./ Telstra try to block showing the app on TV but turning off mirroring overcomes this block, with the game video only showing on TV and not the iPhone/iPad.

I use a Western Digital box that connects to the tv. You can then easily plug any large hard drive to it (2TB one is handy) and using your wifi network you can copy whatever content you want over to it.
I have some movies on iTunes that can play on that thing, but it can also do avi's among plenty of other video types. So you can erm... Download other content and watch it. That box also has access to Netflix apps, youtube, etc but is a bit tough to use a keyboard via remote. The smarhone app isn't much better though.
I find it fits my needs perfectly.

I have this. Have some networking problems with Windows 7 though. It worked flawlessly for a couple of years then inexplicably broke and sort of fiddly now.

I have the NBN but the quality when on tv through afl app watching Essendon games it sometimes pauses and gets behind play. so try and restart it at qtr and half time etc.....and seems to play low HD games faster (7 broadcast) than foxtel.  

Foxtel HD beats apple tv in quality, but it is good enough to make out players etc, only issue for me is time delay. on stoppages, slow plays its perfect. but is a cheaper option for me as I cant justify paying for foxtel when I think everything else is rubbish, except for GOT, but I got a mate who records that for me

as for streaming anything from your phone to tv its great.

It works better for iphones 5 than 4's  as iphone 5 you can airplay just about anything over there.

I use phone or ipad to bring up tv series then airplay them through the tv. I like it. its a lot better than watching things on ipad/phone.

And now you have all your tv apps - seven, ten, nine, afl, etc. And can watch the hangar on there plus any other video on the Essendon app 

Cause the bombers only play like 5 games on fox, its cheaper for me to just get a weeks subscription to afl ($4.99) and cancel each week. 

So, say kids want to dance to some song, like "I'm Happy", if I had Apple TV plugged into my TV, I could just youtube the filmclip on my iphone/ipad and play the song, but it would play on my TV once I start airplay?

And it would be in good resolution, no "blown up Ipad/Ipod" resolution

Sounds pretty cool.

I'm a big fan of this device.

What I do is have an external HD plugged into my wireless router with an iTunes library on it. When you start iTunes on your PC or Mac, load your iTunes library from the external drive instead of the default location on your computer. Then through the Apple TV, you can browse your library on the remote drive using the Apple TV remote or your iPhone/iPad. This method saves filling up your laptop or computer with media if you've got a big library. You can access this library with any number of computers, as long as they are using the same iTunes login. I've got a 1TB drive that I also backup all our laptops with.

The downside is that AppleTV doesn't support a wide range of media like some media players. I convert files that aren't MP4 using "Handbrake Batch" (though typically it's not hard to find MP4 formatted video on download sites), and then get the metadata (info on genre, actors/directors, description etc...) using "iDentify". Then iTunes can catalogue and manage everything for you, rather than worry about folders, what you have and haven't watched etc...

The Google Chromecast might be worth a look too. They have just become available in Australia, and are a USB key size device that plugs into your TV or AV systems HDMI port, and allow you to stream for a computer than is running Chrome. I haven't tried one, but I believe they support 1080p and 5.1 Dolby Digital. But if you've got an iPhone/iPad, being able to get video from it onto the Apple TV with the press of a button makes it a no-brainer. I believe there are Android apps which make mirroring and streaming from those devices pretty straightforward too.

So, say kids want to dance to some song, like "I'm Happy", if I had Apple TV plugged into my TV, I could just youtube the filmclip on my iphone/ipad and play the song, but it would play on my TV once I start airplay?

Sounds pretty cool.

There is a YouTube App already installed on Apple TV.
Therefore, if you wanted to watch YouTube at home, just watch it directly on Apple TV (no need to mirror).
It will display it at the best possible resolution (depends how it was uploaded), unless you go into settings and reduce the resolution (which you would not do unless you are having serious buffering issues).

Sounds pretty cool.

There is a YouTube App already installed on Apple TV.
Therefore, if you wanted to watch YouTube at home, just watch it directly on Apple TV (no need to mirror).
It will display it at the best possible resolution (depends how it was uploaded), unless you go into settings and reduce the resolution (which you would not do unless you are having serious buffering issues).

Ok thanks. I have a Kogan Android Dongle (runs Ice Cream Sandwhich I think) which makes my non-smartTV a smartTV... but it's unbearable without using a wireless keyboard, plus it takes a little while to boot-up and the interface can be extremely slow/clunky. Still, it's got a youtube app and I can access/stream media from my laptop...

And I have a smart TV which has a browser and lots of aps (I should probably get the youtube app!), though it requires a keyboard too. Can be annoying when the keyboard is in the other room. But I can watch stuff from my laptop on this TV which is a good thing.

We have 3 iphones and an ipad in the house, and cheap Android tablet (about $120 from Target!) plus a few portable hard drives and the laptop, so there are a heap of ways to do most things...

Plus we have foxtel IQ (platinum package), and can download 200GB each month on our internet plan.

Hmmm, I probably don't need Apple TV!!

(Soulnet's going to sort me out though, so I can store my media off my laptop and still stream content to my devices!)

So I downloaded the youtube app on my Samsung TV last night, and as soon as I went to search for something it said "Did you know you can search for youtube vids on your iphone/ipad and play them on your TV".  So I got the youtube app on my phone, paired it with the TV (they give you a number or a QR code thing to for pairing), and that was it.

Best bit is that you can search for vids (on your phone) and add them to the queue, and searching for vids or using other apps etc doesn't affect the image on the TV.

So I downloaded the youtube app on my Samsung TV last night, and as soon as I went to search for something it said "Did you know you can search for youtube vids on your iphone/ipad and play them on your TV".  So I got the youtube app on my phone, paired it with the TV (they give you a number or a QR code thing to for pairing), and that was it.

Best bit is that you can search for vids (on your phone) and add them to the queue, and searching for vids or using other apps etc doesn't affect the image on the TV.

There is an app called Twonky Beam that does all this a bit smoother. 

AppleTV lets me watch movies and US TV shows via Netflix. So to Bacchus, yes it allows you to avoid Foxtel and their hundred channels of crap. I only installed Foxtel to watch Essendon games and will switch to the streaming app when the current contract ends. 

AppleTV lets me watch movies and US TV shows via Netflix. So to Bacchus, yes it allows you to avoid Foxtel and their hundred channels of crap. I only installed Foxtel to watch Essendon games and will switch to the streaming app when the current contract ends.

Do you subscribe to HuluPlus as well AT ?