Apple's Latest

Nothing but issues using Netflix or Stan on our smart TV, but with apple TV is almost flawless.

Pity the remote is a piece of ■■■■.

Not that I’m suggesting you go out and buy the new Apple TV just for a remote upgrade, but the remote IS at least 10 times better.
Such a pleasure to use the touchpad with your thumb, and Siri is very handy.

I hate the upgraded iOS on iPhone.

I keep swiping left to unlock and get the crappy notifications screen.
Don’t know why they’ve gone the ‘push home button to unlock’ route.

Every time I put my finger on the Home button I get ■■■■■■ voice control. I’ve disabled Siri but I can’t totally disable voice control. It’s always been there on the Home button but it seems to have become more sensitive.

How do I remove predictor text when typing?
Are you sure you want to remove predictor text, or just auto-correct.

The former is good, the latter abysmal.

Hate them both!

without having an iOS device on me.

settings > general > language > keyboard

or something like that.

Pull the predictive word bar down to hide it.

I like the predictor but except for one annoying thing. The bar is divided into three boxes, and as you type, different possible words appear in the three boxes. Say you want to type “because”. You type “be” and in the left box “before” appears, in the centre box “behind” appears, and in the right box “because”. If you’re like me, by the time you register that “because” has appeared, which is the one you want, you’ll have hit the “c” key and you’ll reach for the right-hand box. The problem is that when you type the “c”, “before” and “behind” disappear, and “because” moves to a different box, and new words beginning with “bec” appear in the other two. So when you hit the right box, you get “become” or something, and to get “because” you have to delete “become” and start again.

It would be better if the predictions remained in the same boxes until they were eliminated.

VFL live reports are much more painful early in the year. By the end of the year predictive text almost writes the posts on its own.

Have you tried voice-to-text?

1. Audio text and predictive text don’t appear to be synced: e.g. it doesn’t know about FatArse.
  2. Unless you’re extremely slow and precise it happily skips entire sections of what you say (and it’s still pretty rotten otherwise, even in a quiet windless environment).

He new update is bollocks. Instead of up and down arrows I have left and right ffs. But then then the inbox emails I scroll up and down. Then when I get an email that’s the most recent in a conversation I have to scroll up to see the rest of the message, when inside to have to scroll down. Pos

A Hail Mary to all you Apple guys/geeks.

My MacBook Air was working fine one day…

Next day, I try to open it up, takes 15 minutes to boot, is slow as ■■■■, and when it sleeps it completely shuts down. It effectively doesn’t work now, though I managed to back it up.

I’ve tried all the advice on line, and my brother who is a computer engineer etc, blah, blah, etc… but please give me any advice. All the online stuff seems to be about having too much crap/stuff on the hard drive, but I’ve dealt with that…

Just holding out for some little bit of advice that might work. Thanks either way.

Sorry Zimm, never encountered this problem before.If your brother couldn’t fix it, doubt we can.

If you have backed up your files, you could try erasing the disk and starting again, in case it’s a software issue. If it is a hardware issue - Is it under warranty?

I’m looking for suggestions here.

I want to make up a series of pictures of maps where I mark them up to show the route taken on a trip.

I was thinking of using the Preview app to draw lines on screen prints from Apple Maps (which for my purposes is miles better than Google Maps), but it just doesn’t seem to quite fit what I’m doing. I was going to use lines etc and occasionally draw freehand (with the mouse) as a road curved.

Any ideas?

Finally received my iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Jet Black phone today.

WORTH IT.

Do you want an actual path (use a GPS app) or a recreated/idealised one (use a series of destinations in Google Maps)?

They’re the easy answers, anyway.

Do you want an actual path (use a GPS app) or a recreated/idealised one (use a series of destinations in Google Maps)?

Recreated…and I much prefer to use Apple Maps, at least for the cities.

Bit late to use GPS. My mate was using an app to map his path in London at least.

Recreated…and I much prefer to use Apple Maps, at least for the cities.

Bit late to use GPS. My mate was using an app to map his path in London at least.

Check out the app “TrackMyTour”.

Also, you can also do something like this with Google Maps (the site, not the app). Click on “create” in the top left hand corner and enter your routes/locations using the search bar or by manually dropping pins.

The HD disk in MacBook Pro has died. Only a month previously the HD in my TimeCapsule died too. As such I’ve lost a lot of stuff, media, docs, but in particular photos (eg. pics of kids, wedding, holidays etc…).

Any tips on a data recovery place that doesn’t cost the earth?

The HD disk in MacBook Pro has died. Only a month previously the HD in my TimeCapsule died too. As such I've lost a lot of stuff, media, docs, but in particular photos (eg. pics of kids, wedding, holidays etc...).

Any tips on a data recovery place that doesn’t cost the earth?

If you can mount it in something external you can normally get a few bits and pieces off it. If its a ssd then it’s game over.

Bump.

Just put in an order for the new MBP. Hopefully they’ve ironed out the bugs that annoyed people with last year’s model. Replacing my two year old MBP sooner than I would’ve liked but that’s what happens when you under-spec RAM.

Also I think Apple is so far beyond the point of making things I can’t justify buying. I don’t know if I’ll ever buy another iPad since getting a 7 Plus. The Watch is still too expensive for its utility and I’d say the same for the HomePod.