Apple's Latest

ha - my iPhone cycle has been:
2009 - iPhone 3G S
2018- iPhone SE

l look forward to getting my hands on the iPhone 19 mini in 2027

3 Likes

My contract runs out next month. I just think Iā€™ll go for the 12 Pro. This oneā€™s 2 years old.

Going to get rid of my landline though, and the IQ3. Iā€™ll swap that for a Foxtel streaming.

The only ones calling my landline are beggars and scammers.

How dare you call the EFC membership team those names!

2 Likes

I donā€™t hand out my landline number. Only one legit person uses it.

1 Like

Beggars and scammers are the only
people that call me. :joy::rofl:

And if it werenā€™t for pickpockets, youā€™d have no sex at allā€¦and if it werenā€™t for bad luck, youā€™d have no luck at all.

1 Like

Havenā€™t upgraded my phone since 2016.
Iā€™m looking for the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

The 12 Pro is pretty pricey as it is. The pro max will be worse.
Ridiculous that you pay the phone off per month and then the plan is extra on top of that.
$135 / month is crazy (and thatā€™s a 12 Pro). Itā€™s more than my home internetā€¦

I have an iPhone 6s from 2015, and I am on a $49 per month data plan.

The only reason I would consider a 12 is to get 5G access, and I only want that if 5G actually makes a difference.

Does anyone actually have a 5G phone and is it noticeably better than 4G?

Yeah mobile phone prices are ridoculous. I guess I factor in about 350 dollars into having a great camera with youā€¦

220USD is the cost price for apple to add 5G apparently. (or anyone which is why theres not much in the way of good budget 5G handsets)

Then all the other bits and pieces. Apple obviously make great profits(2 trillion dollar company) but an iphone is not cheap to make.

atm 5g is less congested so it works better. like when 4g was introduced, then it got congested.

I thought one of the benefits of 5G was supposed to be that it didnā€™t suffer from congestion like earlier generations.

I just teed up a new contract with Telstraā€¦no point in paying for 5G here at the momentā€¦I need to wait for the Covid vaccine which incorporates 5G. Included is a 128Gb iPhone 12Pro and 40Gb a month. I rarely exceed 10Gb.

Apple offering US$350 for trading in my 11. Feels like a rip off :frowning:

Apple Silicon MacBooks may be only a few weeks away according to rumours.

Iā€™m still using a MacBook Pro from 2011 (!) and have been meaning to upgrade this year after working from home every day has definitely caught up with it. Nearly splurged till I heard about these, now been holding off patiently.

Possibly will be a fair chunk cheaper than usual and perform a lot better than the Intel chip.

Are you sure you want in on the first iteration of such an impactful shift?

I think theyā€™re exciting, but I imagine the transition period will have bumps.

Iā€™m not a first day shopper, Iā€™ll likely hold a bit to read reviews to see if there are any obvious transition flaws.

1 Like

Ill probably pay the extortionist amount for an iphone 12 mini. Simply because its genuinely small, no other reason.

Nice that the camera, processor in it are good and it has the 5G for the future.

But otherwise pick up an iphone 11. Excellent phone except for the 5G.

Lean into 5G in a couple of years when the coverage has been updated.

Handset prices will also be cheaper as 5G component cost(very high) comes down.

The real issue behind 5G is device makers are Being pushed hard by chip manufacturers. I read somewhere the 5G chip is over 200USD alone.

Thats a high percentage of final retail cost, even for apple who charge a premium.

Off to pick up the new phone after lunch. Just backing up the current one.

12 Pro Pacific Blue 128Gb.

2 Likes

Eh.

I normally get ~3 ish years out of a phone.
Iā€™m not otherwise fussed about upgrading to the latest and greatest for the sake of it - but I do want to future proof myself, as much as possible.
No doubt the network infrastructure for 5G will be the investment priority over the next few years, so it makes sense to be on it.

Iā€™ll be waiting a little, and hoping for the 5G iPhone plans to come down, even if just a little.
5G and the better camera are really the only improvements Iā€™m bothered about.

Thing about the 5g modems in the 12ā€™sā€¦ they consume power at a rapid rate of knots. Like the in-house A14 Bionic, Apple are producing their own modems which will be more power efficient. Meant to happen next year. Iā€™ve got the Pro. Love the industrial design (just like the iPad Pro) and screen size.