Are Mining Interests behind Aboriginal community closures?

Its an older article but its a theory that is not going away, or being debunked for that matter.

what do people think, I have an endless list of issues with these closures which I wont go into mainly because I have before and it fell on deaf ears, but surely this cant be the reason?

Not even C Barnett is that evil.

Wouldn’t surprise.

But, the reporting of the protests by the Herald-Sun describing the protestors from last Friday as selfish serves no purpose.

Not even C Barnett is that evil.

Don’t know about that ever the motive is, he doesn’t seem to be bothered by a couple of thousand deaths on his hands

I said this a while ago Ben, being saying it the whole time. The land that they are being moved from are the lands the mining companies want.

Seems convenient for the mining companies. I also read a headline about the government changing the status of some ridiculously old rock art. Why would that be worth doing?

Id be interested in seeing the total cost of these communities, and if they are SO costly to run, to what services does the money go?

I don’t think you can just ‘close’ a community, where are all the people gonna go?

Seems convenient for the mining companies. I also read a headline about the government changing the status of some ridiculously old rock art. Why would that be worth doing?

Id be interested in seeing the total cost of these communities, and if they are SO costly to run, to what services does the money go?

I don’t think you can just ‘close’ a community, where are all the people gonna go?

To town to get real jobs

Barnett is a prick but he has little love for the mining companies these days.

I’m not sure what his agenda is here, but I don’t think it’s being a mining company stooge.

It is about nothing else.

To be fair the state governments got dropped in it be the federal

CHEMTRAILS!!! mind control!

To town to get real jobs

So, they basically become refugees in their own country.

There will be communities that won’t welcome them. There won’t be services. There won’t be jobs.

You can’t look at this issue without recognising that many of these remote communities are unmitigated social disasters. All quality of life markers are incredibly low in these communities despite an average of $80k spent per person annually. Alcoholism, sexual abuse of minors, literacy and life expectancy are all big issues that successive governments have been unable to address.

I’m not sure that closing these communities is the best way of tackling these problems, but something has to be done. In particular, allowing children to be raised in such conditions is inhumane. I can understand why some would think moving residents to locations closer to government resources (eg. health and education) would in some way improve the lot of people living in remote communities, but equally I can understand that many residents would be rightfully upset at having their homes taken away.

Honestly I don’t know what the best course of action is. But I do know that allowing the cycle of poverty to continue without some change in strategy is unacceptable. That we have people living in third world conditions in this country is a national disgrace.

Redacted because I cant be bothered and I dont know how to delete?

You can't look at this issue without recognising that many of these remote communities are unmitigated social disasters. All quality of life markers are incredibly low in these communities despite an average of $80k spent per person annually. Alcoholism, sexual abuse of minors, literacy and life expectancy are all big issues that successive governments have been unable to address.

I’m not sure that closing these communities is the best way of tackling these problems, but something has to be done. In particular, allowing children to be raised in such conditions is inhumane. I can understand why some would think moving residents to locations closer to government resources (eg. health and education) would in some way improve the lot of people living in remote communities, but equally I can understand that many residents would be rightfully upset at having their homes taken away.

Honestly I don’t know what the best course of action is. But I do know that allowing the cycle of poverty to continue without some change in strategy is unacceptable. That we have people living in third world conditions in this country is a national disgrace.

While most would agree with you, the one problem is that the closing of these areas isn’t being done to “improve the life-expectancy” of the Indigenous Australians in that area. All it is achieving is to move the problem somewhere else whilst freeing up land for mining rights and saving the WA Government a small amount of money.

On top of that there are dogmatic reasons why people can’t leave certain areas, essential services or not, they will stay.

They are being closed because to keep them open is basically inhumane. I’m not sure why people are so obsessed with keeping them living in substandard conditions.

The mining argument is a nonsense argument.

They are being closed because to keep them open is basically inhumane. I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with keeping them living in substandard conditions.

The mining argument is a nonsense argument.

Bullshit.

Moving them into larger centres is financially motivated. FACT.

No politician has the right to act in a dictatorial fashion. Barnett and Abbott have failed the Australian fair go test here.

Here is the way to go.

The people in these communities are trained up to build the facilities these communities need and also to maintain these facilities. Other members of these communities are trained up to be the teachers, doctors and nurses so as to at least make an effort in improving the quality of life in these communities. That’s the Australian way.