Are Mining Interests behind Aboriginal community closures?

I have no idea what the right course of action is, all I know is that I wouldn’t send my worst enemy’s kid to live in Newman and the places being closed are by all reports, far worse than there.

Seeing a young girl with about 40 stitchers up both her calves and another kid about 12 chroming out the front of Woolworths was heart breaking and that was just the main shopping centre! Imagine how bad it must be in less public areas.

I have no idea what the right course of action is, all I know is that I wouldn't send my worst enemy's kid to live in Newman and the places being closed are by all reports, far worse than there.

Seeing a young girl with about 40 stitchers up both her calves and another kid about 12 chroming out the front of Woolworths was heart breaking and that was just the main shopping centre! Imagine how bad it must be in less public areas.

Key word you use there is imagine and term ‘by all reports’ a lot of the youth you see on the fringes of the communities are the ones that have been exiled due to their habits, or have left because it’s to hard to score in the community.

In the hotspots the fatal misjudgement that gets made is that people don’t care what’s going on within their own communities they absolutely enequivocly do. Strong support groups and programs are being run and they are getting good results. Alcohole in the Kimberly was a really good example, it was the elders and the woman of that community which implemented the restrictions and the results have been great.

The ones that are slated for closure are not the worst areas btw which is what makes this whole thing stink, it’s the ones that have declining populations. Please keep in mind, any vision or reporting on indervidual communities has a very clear narrative to highlight the worst of conditions.

The extensive training we get in aboriginal culture and heritage at my mining company, and probably most of them, makes me cringe at most of the comments I read on this topic from the general public. The irony.

Rio Tinto has great programs it must be said

yes I probably should clarify - After doing the training I understand a lot more about why the situation is like it is, and about remaining on country and ceremony etc is so important. Totally against it.

The extensive training we get in aboriginal culture and heritage at my mining company, and probably most of them, makes me cringe at most of the comments I read on this topic from the general public. The irony.

Going off that, I think we need to shut down Dandenong.

Now there’s a good idea!

Ben, can I just clarify, are you saying that the people living in these communities couldn’t survive without Gvt intervention so any idea of an actual traditional lifestyle isn’t possible? I thought that was what was being sought, some form of autonomy. Is this related to the actual land not being able to provide, loss of traditional skills or is it an adoption & therefore reliance on assistance that would be very difficult to break? I guess what I’m asking is, do the people in these communities want a traditional life with its pro & cons or do they want to adopt at least some “modern” (for want of a better term) concepts?

Is that relevant?

I mean you can’t put the genie back in the bottle.

The indigenous peoples have copped probably the worse the West has to offer (awful diet, leading to diabetes and other lifestyle diseases, actual introduced diseases, destruction of social structures and continuity through stolen generation / being moved off the land / our destruction of habitat & introduction of pests which impact native food sources & climate change / organised warfare, and of course alcohol and other drugs).
You can’t just take that back, now, and cut the power lines.

If you could, sure, turn back the clock to 1765 & some might go back to full traditional living off the land might be a viable thing, but we can’t do that.

I would have thought that at least understanding what the people themselves want would have been a key part of any possible solution.

Going off that, I think we need to shut down Dandenong.

Now there’s a good idea!

Ben, can I just clarify, are you saying that the people living in these communities couldn’t survive without Gvt intervention so any idea of an actual traditional lifestyle isn’t possible? I thought that was what was being sought, some form of autonomy. Is this related to the actual land not being able to provide, loss of traditional skills or is it an adoption & therefore reliance on assistance that would be very difficult to break? I guess what I’m asking is, do the people in these communities want a traditional life with its pro & cons or do they want to adopt at least some “modern” (for want of a better term) concepts?

Is that relevant?

I mean you can’t put the genie back in the bottle.

The indigenous peoples have copped probably the worse the West has to offer (awful diet, leading to diabetes and other lifestyle diseases, actual introduced diseases, destruction of social structures and continuity through stolen generation / being moved off the land / our destruction of habitat & introduction of pests which impact native food sources & climate change / organised warfare, and of course alcohol and other drugs).
You can’t just take that back, now, and cut the power lines.

If you could, sure, turn back the clock to 1765 & some might go back to full traditional living off the land might be a viable thing, but we can’t do that.

I would have thought that at least understanding what the people themselves want would have been a key part of any possible solution.

It totally is. When we talk about maintaining, it’s about remaining on country, and having the ability to continue ceremony. Not strip off and live like the old black fellas

For starters, the child abuse claims that partly led to the Nt intervention (under Howard?) were proven to be false, according to the article.

There have been quite a few reports that show that sexual abuse of minors is chronically under-reported (due to many reasons), and is endemic is some communities. Pretending it isn’t a problem does no one any favours.

And again, I’m not saying that closing down remote communities is the answer to this issue and others, or that I have any answers myself. But these issues need to be addressed even if they are uncomfortable topics to deal with.

im not pretending it doesnt happen, but the report stated that in relation to the previous intervention, the child abuse claims didnt stack up.

yes I probably should clarify - After doing the training I understand a lot more about why the situation is like it is, and about remaining on country and ceremony etc is so important. Totally against it.

Where are you these days bix?

Melbourne. I will up around Newman in a week or so though!

Oh good luck.

For starters, the child abuse claims that partly led to the Nt intervention (under Howard?) were proven to be false, according to the article.

There have been quite a few reports that show that sexual abuse of minors is chronically under-reported (due to many reasons), and is endemic is some communities. Pretending it isn’t a problem does no one any favours.

And again, I’m not saying that closing down remote communities is the answer to this issue and others, or that I have any answers myself. But these issues need to be addressed even if they are uncomfortable topics to deal with.

im not pretending it doesnt happen, but the report stated that in relation to the previous intervention, the child abuse claims didnt stack up.

The report found that reports of paedophile rings didn’t stack up, not that child abuse claims are unfounded.

The report found that reports of paedophile rings didn’t stack up, not that child abuse claims are unfounded.

It happens everywhere, sadly.
Will shipping the suspected offenders from one place (where there’s a relatively organised social structure) to somewhere else (where they probably won’t know anybody, nor will anybody know them) actually help?? Or even make it easier to police?

Will shipping the suspected offenders from one place (where there’s a relatively organised social structure) to somewhere else (where they probably won’t know anybody, nor will anybody know them) actually help?? Or even make it easier to police?

Well obviously offenders should be jailed, not relocated.

Works for the churches.

I have no idea what the right course of action is, all I know is that I wouldn't send my worst enemy's kid to live in Newman and the places being closed are by all reports, far worse than there.

My short experience up there was that there was a massive variation(? not sure this is the right word) in indigenous conditions and attitudes.
Some of it was depressing as hell, but other parts were amazing.

My short experience up there was that there was a massive variation(? not sure this is the right word) in indigenous conditions and attitudes.
Some of it was depressing as hell, but other parts were amazing.

and that’s a microcosm of what its like in most regions. very little exposure gets done for the amazing stuff, but its just as prevalent if not more so than the depressing stuff.

Works for the churches.

Is Judaism a church?

Works for the churches.

Ah yes, the old ‘send them to Samoa, nobody will find them there’ trick.

I did say suspected offenders. I’m assuming we’re not letting people who we know are doing this walk free.