Are we still "cashed up"?

Would doubt it. Need to concentrate on containing who we have now I would think.

1 Like

When does Shiel come off contract? He would be perfect for us.

4 Likes

This soon to be premiership winning list you meanā€¦??

Would have agreed a number of years ago, however, you look at Geelong and Hawks and how theyā€™ve maintained their lists in the recent past. Both teams lost superstars after success and kept their dominance. Both teams had a policy of keeping contracts reasonable in an effort to keep bringing in experience (Hawks did this better). I donā€™t think we go into our shells with trades to keep everyone. I think we need to look at bringing in a trade bonanza every couple of years provided we are travelling well and can easily attract guys wanting a flag. Thatā€™s the key to sustained success these days.

YESSā€¦Rory come down

Wait? It started on BigFooty after the players chose us.

1 Like

Godard would have to be on 500-600k

He will be gone the year after next.

1 Like

We still have a very young list all things considered so I expect will still have the cap space to make a play at one marquee player, perhaps Sloane as F/A, and another good young player to address another list need - perhaps kpf

We most likely will lose Goddard, Baguley, and I expect Leuey & Myers and that will free up a solid amount also.

1 Like

Given their form this year, Iā€™m definitely not expecting Goddard and Baguley to retire after the 2018 season. Especially if we can improve and get somewhere near a top 4 place.

1 Like

Bags in particular will have no choice.

1 Like

I really think it depends on how our younger players come on Langford, Lav, Francis, Begley, Mutch, and Riddler. Our top end talent is there, hopeful but not 100% sure on the bottom half of the list.

1 Like

Looking at the footy wire contract page thereā€™s a few possible names Iā€™d throw a lot of money at. In order of preference:

Ollie Wines - 24 next year - No.1 target. Would easily trade 1st and 2nd round picks for him next year.

Rory Sloane (RFA) - 28 next year. Old but still has 3 years of elite football you would think.

Tom Liberatore (RFA) - 26 next year. Can him and Stringer be in the same team?

Andrew Gaff (RFA) - 26 next year. Not an inside mid but still elite and requires nothing on the trade table.

Angus Bradshaw - 22 next year - if he needs a change of scenery and we can get him cheap, which we should if he keeps having concussion issues.

1 Like

Ollie Wines is the one from an age demographic theyā€™d go after. And to fark over Port. Would cost our next two first rounders however.

Sloane would cost nothing as an UFA

Given we should be right up in the mix at pointy end of season his experience vital. And if Crows falter again next year heā€™d definitely want to be going somewhere if coming back to Vic with prospect of flag success.

1 Like

Yepā€¦ Ollie Wines is the one. Is right in the right age grouping for us.

Regarding Free Agents, as much as Iā€™d love to see Sloane in red and black, I think we should hold off on getting involved with Free Agents for 2-3 years. Again, the reason is the age demographic of the list.

1 Like

You would get involved if you feel that this one person was the difference between winning or losing a GF if they are older. So say we made the prelim or GF but lost due to a lack of a quality inside mid beast. Sloane would fit that and maybe enable us to win the GF the next year. It then gives you extra time to draft or trade in another solid young inside mid to replace the guy who will then retire.

Aceman says there is ZERO chance of Wines leaving PA. He has a compelling argument,

1 Like

Yeah but @Aceman deals in facts because he has real sources. Itā€™s a pretty limiting way of viewing things.

Iā€™m more a dreamer :blush:

5 Likes

Hey donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™d love Wines at the club and I hope we atleast shake the tree.
Hopefully Kochie has another melt down, Kenny gets the flick and they implode badly, that would be the only chance he would leave IMO.

So you are saying we are still a chance .gif