Assange can be extradited to the USA (TBC)

I think Assange’s character, leaving aside the question of whether it is good or bad, is extremely important given the role he has assumed for himself.

1 Like

What’s in it for DT, at this point?

Lol yep he is going back to the states because he is a bad guest.

Has nothing to do with the $10b in bailouts recently approved by the IMF and related banks to Ecuador.

The thing about technology today, we can now see in real time governments across the world play our their crimes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in-ecuador-assanges-expulsion-reflects-a-shifting-political-tide/2019/04/11/7b50e852-5c66-11e9-98d4-844088d135f2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.47a776ddc984

1 Like

Which is?

Here is some leaked footage of 2 Apache helicopters. Watch this and tell me we do not have a right to know what was happening.

Particularly the war crimes when they shoot up a medical van carrying out an injured civilian (who was a journalist)

Those orders came from above.

We need to hold the war criminals accountable.

6 Likes

^ How can anyone watch that video and not be ■■■■■■■ disgusted? Manning is a hero for getting this out there.

1 Like

But why do we focus on the USA ? Russia is arguably more corrupt and it goes right to the top. China is also corrupt and the ordinary Chinese dont even get a chance to change their leaders.

Why is Snowden living in a country which is worse than the USA. Why doesnt Wikileaks expose corruption in Russia and China ?

Maybe Assange doesnt like the taste of polonium, or the tingling in your fingers and difficulty breathing you get with Novichok.

Because there is this idea that the U.S is some bastion of democracy and force for good in the world when the complete opposite is true. We know that Russia and China are renowned for their suppression of free speech and terrible human rights abuses. This is widely known. What about the U.S? They are currently staging an overt soft coup in Venezuela against a democratically elected leader because Venezuela happens to sit on the largest oil reserves on the planet. All under the guise of “humanitarian aid”, which they have largely contributed to the crisis with their crippling economic sanctions.

Then you have the disasters in the Middle East and Africa - Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Syria - all disastrous regime change wars which have led to further instability and the rise of ISIS, all due to the lies and propaganda of the CIA and their willing participants the mainstream media.

That’s why we need WikiLeaks.

Russia is one of the few countries on Earth that doesn’t lick the boots of the U.S - basically any other Western country would hand him over to the U.S in the blink of an eye. Also, WikiLeaks has done stuff on Russia - you could check out their repository to look it up.

6 Likes

Not witches, no. You’re thinking of Trump and a different investigation. Anyway the correct term if that were the case would be warlock.

The US extradition request does not seem to have been made public. If it is cast more widely than the indictment where does that leave Assange?
Even if narrowly cast, what is there to stop the US from laying further charges once he is in US territory?
Manning is back in jail for refusing to give evidence before a Wikileaks Grand Jury. Does that mean further charges could emerge?
Brandis would likely have been briefed well in advance of Assange’s eviction from the Ecuador . He needs to stay engaged in the process. Australia’s role should go beyond low key consular assistance, although this is the message coming out of the Libs and ALP.

I think it’s a given that if the U.S get Assange to the States, there will be a host of other charges to follow.

The Australian Government from Gillard’s Labor through to Morrison’s Liberals have had almost a whole decade to petition to the UK to return Assange back to Australia, they have never shown the slightest interest in doing so and that’s a disgrace.

4 Likes

Someone has to send Wikileaks the information to publish. Whistle blowing is not a large, vibrant industry in China or Russia. If you are one of the few, why would you send secret information to a western organisation to publish online? You are not going to bring about change in China from the outside. Most Chinese can’t even access google.

3 Likes

Assange lost quite a lot of support or at least empathy for his situation when he rejected publishing the Panama Papers.

Russians did send a trove of internal matters about potential corruption to Wikileaks in ’16. And they declined to publish it.

I have an issue with Assange and Wikileaks giving oxygen to the concocted Seth Rich conspiracy when they would have well known it to not be true.

1 Like

Off topic, but as a casual, pretend photog those war correspondents have balls the size of planets.

There’s no way I’d ever have the courage to sling something on my shoulder in that setting.

5 Likes

F’n oath

But then I’m also afraid of banana smoothies larger than 450ml, so take my assent for what it is worth.

1 Like

Was that a thing? I thought Wikileaks criticised the fact that the the dump wasn’t searchable?

He used lots of excuses. Any dump is searchable, unless it’s unreadable. You can search through it on public databases right now. I’m not sure how much work was required for that.

I think the guy has gone stir crazy living on the run then practically imprisoned for half a decade, so I don’t necessarily blame him for how odd Wikileaks has been while he was in the embassy. It’s a shame, as he really was opening the eyes of the West 10 years ago.

1 Like

It wasn’t originally searchable, that was my understanding and that’s why I believe Assange was critical. Also Wikileaks didn’t decline to publish, that leak was given to the ICIJ directly. Further, Assange is 100% about dump it all out there, ICIJ refused (at least initially) to release the full data set.

1 Like