Assange can be extradited to the USA (TBC)

Always thought Donald might owe him actually, and was expecting him to back off on him.

Maybe, just maybe, … he’s getting him to the US to let him go, … :thinking:

If there’s anything to the Trump - Stone - Assange / wiki links, you’d think it might be on the cards. That Assange might even have info to hurt…??

The look on Assanges face as they removed him would rather belie that theory though.

So as an Australian citizen we’ve just abandoned him have we?

I’ve no idea on the whole story but I find it odd.

6 Likes

I thought he’d treated Australia with contempt. I certainly don’t feel as if we owe him anything.

1 Like

How has he ever treated Australia with contempt?

It is a disgrace how he has been treated, just for exposing the war crimes of a powerful country that doesn’t want their war crimes exposed. All the while that they are accusing others of supporting terrorism.

Assange was [allegedly] caught in a classic honey trap even though no evidence was produced and the relevant country has dropped charges.

But the UK and his own country have sold him out. Farking disgrace.

20 Likes

Ecuador gave him citizenship a while back. Assume it has been revoked.
Reportedly, the US indictment, now unsealed , does not involve treason, but connected to assisting Manning to access a computer password. Reportedly also, unconnected to the Mueller investigation.
Australia will be obliged to give him consular assistance for the UK charges of jumping bail, but doubt that it would have any legal right to intervene in a US extradition request to UK. Now, let’s see what High Commisioner Brandis has to say.
Imagine Shorten will want to stay out of this.

Just another case of the USA overstepping their jurisdiction - When will countries of the world stand up to this bully.

5 Likes

This x1000000000

If you’re for freedom of the press, you should be fighting tooth and nail for Assange. This prosecution by the U.S if successful, is basically criminalising journalism.

5 Likes

Not only is this a travesty for press freedoms, also a dark day for international refugee rights

2 Likes

Australia has had numerous opportunities to petition to the UK Gov’t to get Assange back to Australia and has done nothing because they are just as complicit and as much of a lap dog to the U.S as the U.K is.

The weakness of the charge from the DoJ is shocking - the allegation that Assange tried (and failed) to help crack a password has been public for a decade, it’s the same item that the Obama DoJ refused to charge saying it endangered journalism.

2 Likes

Seems as though we have stood back and allowed Assange to go it alone and also the Chinese fellow an Australian Citizen being held in China and interrogated and tortured.
This Federal Government are truly gutless and who is to say it couldn’t happen to anyone of us.

ScoMo is just too lovey dovey with the Chinese Government for mine. Remember this is the guy when Treasurer, secretly signed away Darwin Harbour to the Chinese for 99 years. What a moron a such a strategic move by us for our security and safety, NOT!

2 Likes

A succulent Chinese meal?!!?!

2 Likes

Cmon mate - he’s just thinking of setting up his financial future after moving on from politics. He’s set himself up for a plum job.

1 Like

Successive Federal Governments from Gillard have been gutless and failed to act and assist an Australian citizen. It’s a national disgrace.

1 Like

Craig Foster, mobilise!

6 Likes

I don’t think Gillard was PM in 1992.

Thanks to Wikileaks the Chinese discovered what Kevin Rudd really thought about them. Those Chinese fuckkers are trying to rat-fuckk us.
For that reason alone, the UK should release Assange and offer him a cup of tea with Liz.

2 Likes

Albino Saddam is a very good likeness.

This is the world we live in - war criminals Bush, Blair and to a lesser extent Howard walk around freely under the sun, their crimes complete whitewashed (airbrushed from discourse) while the people who exposed those war crimes like Manning and Assange are imprisoned and tortured.

This is all possible because of a bankrupt and corrupt media who are simply bought and paid for courtiers of the establishment.

9 Likes

Well, to be fair, the Chinese ■■■■■■■ were trying to rat ■■■■ us and continue in their attempts to rat ■■■■ us to this day.

It’s only fair given that the west has been trying to rat ■■■■ China since the opium wars

2 Likes

With ricketts.

1 Like