Assisted Dying

Glitch broadcast on ABC was the Anglo remake although the original French version is better. It’s an interesting premise.

The Catholic Church have openly come out in the press and an interview and said a big NO.
It will not happen in their hospitals and their staff will not be allowed to offer it. Some other churches have also said it is against their beliefs. I have a friend who is a JW and it is certainly a big no, no in their church. So if you like you can say its my bias on this one or ask around.

Catholic hospitals won’t do abortions either. There are plenty who will, so I don’t see that as an issue.

1 Like

Sorry to reawaken this memory IT and obviously no response is required if you don’t want to, but during those terrible years did you ever have thoughts about how much easier it would have been for your mum to go at her own time of choosing - if she was capable of that? Asking only out of desire for info from someone who’s gone through an experience, I respect your religious position and am not questioning it.

Reviving this thread. I am heading to Melbourne on Sunday as my mother has chosen to take this option and it will happen early next week. Has anyone here been involved in the process and if so, how did you and your families reconcile it. I know when my mother mentioned it, I said I wasn’t happy, not that she was choosing this option, but that I was losing my mum. I still support her in doing this, but it is easy even three or four days out. I don’t know how I will feel on the day.

10 Likes

Heavy stuff mate, and foremost, sympathy to you and yours, a terrible thing to face.

My thoughts on the issue: I know I’d want the manner of my exit to be of my own choosing, particularly if the situation i found myself in was unbearable. In my opinion there is only virtue in suffering up to a point.

Hopefully your mum takes some comfort from a similar point of view, and you and your family might too.

Again, my sympathies with you and yours.

6 Likes

Thanks mate. I agree. Assisted dying is a blessing for those in pain and suffering. I just wonder if those left behind feel cheated or short changed by their loved one leaving before their time so to speak. I know at the time I will be heartbroken and as I told my wife, I am sure I will cry like a twelve year old girl after her first true love dumps her. I just wonder if I will be glad she got to go on her terms as she wanted, or whether I will be one of those that feel cheated. Hopefully the first or at least somewhere near there, and not the last.

5 Likes

@Loflyer sorry i had no idea you had written something in response to my post. My mum would have never gone down the path of euthanasia, she never agreed with it. It was partly religious, party fear of death I guess. Mum was older school religious and believed that suicide was wrong, regardless of the situation, she always felt that while you were alive there was always hope (whatever the situation).

For me, I also do not personally agree with euthanasia but I am not against others holding to it if they feel that is the best option for them. Every life is for that life and their close ones to decide.

2 Likes

Not the same, but close family who have refused treatment ( as their right) Gave us notice and to some extent did my grieving before they died. I accepted their decision seeing the pain and poor quality of life.
After that, I was all for assisted dying for those who didn’t have their choice.

6 Likes

I’m not going to tell anyone how to feel about this, but on the possibility of feeling cheated…
Wouldn’t it be worse if she passed suddenly and you didn’t get to see her?
If you didn’t get the opportunity to…do or say whatever you want to do or say?
Again, this is personal and I won’t tell anyone how to feel, but in a way this seems to me to be (for want of a better word) better.

2 Likes

Check if there will be support services available for you and your family. Grief and loss hits us all differently, and it hard to prepare. There are some very good support groups out there, ACGB being one of th ebest.

https://www.grief.org.au/

2 Likes

Wim as ever you are articulate and reasoned in your response. Yes, I absolutely would have felt cheated. I thought it was going to happen last year at the height of the lockdown in Vic when I got a call from my sister saying it may be the end. I am a fan of assisted dying, I believe that if a person is aware of what is happening and can make that decision clearly, they should have that right. I just worry that I will end up being a hypocrite at the end and want her to hang on regardless of her wishes.

1 Like

My sympathies @Lifetime_ban, must be so hard for you and the family.

I have only been indirectly involved via my niece, her father chose assisted dying for himself (lung cancer) she could not reconcile herself with his decision, cried for weeks, she was so upset at his decision. She is a nurse and she wanted to help him and for him to look at palliative care.

Was not to be, took her her long time to reconcile but she was very aware in the end it was his decision and what he wanted.

Doesn’t help your heart I know and everyone is different in grief.

Many hugs to you.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice BF. Thankfully, my employer has quite a few options on that front, divisionally, padre’s and psychotherapists that I can turn to if needed.

Of course I understand your last sentiment.
We never know how we’re going to react to big things when the time comes, no matter how well we tell ourselves we’re prepared for it.
My heart goes out to you, mate. Best of luck.

2 Likes

I can’t give an answer for those who’ve had a loved one go via assisted death, but watching my grandfather waste away from cancer and drugged up to the gills on morphine without dignity can’t have been the better way.

3 Likes

If i may, I think you will feel the same way as you would have felt if she just passed away “naturally”. Even being prepared for my mum and dad passing didn’t make their passing any easier, the pain and grief of loss was strong and you will always feel a little pang at different times. Eventually the sharpness of that loss slips away but the loss is always felt. The “positive” is that your mum will pass with the least amount of pain and will feel peace. I would hold onto that feeling very tightly and always remember it, it will bring a some comfort.

I am sorry that you are going through this and wish you and your family all the best.

4 Likes

That is my mother’s fear as well, which is shy she chose this option. My father was sudden, a massive heart attack. I don’t know if that was better for me, I still wish I had had the chance to say goodbye, but it wasn’t months of suffering for him which was certainly better for him. Must admit, not looking forward to next week.

1 Like

I support euthanasia.

In fact, I support the youth in every continent.

2 Likes

Not sure if this provides any comfort but I’ll put it out there. An uncle was at the back end of dealing with Lewy Body Dementia and the end was near. He knew it was near, we did too but we didn’t know exactly when. He was in an awful state and his breathing was very laboured. His grand daughter had had enough and cornered the duty nurse in the hallway outside. 10 minutes later, the nurse returned and told us all to say goodbye, gave him an injection and that was it. It was over.

I suppose the difference between our situation and yours is that we had 5 minutes to digest what was about to happen where as you and your family have had what would seem like an eternity. That and uncle didn’t provide any guidance on what he wanted us to do where your mum has.

I personally support an individual’s right to choose but the broader impact on those left behind and on the professionals tasked with fulfilling their instructions isn’t really known.

All the best.

3 Likes