At the movies

So… apparently they read out the wrong winner for Best Picture.

Warren Beatty claimed they were given the envelope for Best Actress and this confused them, so they hesitated but went ahead anyway.

I thought they told the winners all ahead of time anyway.

I see the evil hand of Vladimir Putin in this whole shemozzle. False news.

I see the evil hand of Vladimir Putin in this whole shemozzle. False news.

Absolutely. The movie people all hate Trump so he’s asked his mate to do something smart to show them up

Look forward to 2 and 3.

Oh boy.

2 and 3 both have a few moments of brilliance but the rest is utter garbage

Look forward to 2 and 3.

Oh boy.

Yup. Don’t ruin 1 by bothering to watch 2, let alone 3.

Look forward to 2 and 3.

Oh boy.

Saw The Matrix for the first time. Pretty cool.

Impossible to rate though as the effects have been surpassed so it’s impossible to appreciate how shocking they’d have been in 1999. As well the whole thing has been parodied to death (and I sunk 30 hrs into one of the video games as a kid) so much of it feels really familiar.

Trinity arbitrarily "love"ing Neo at the end was so so so so stupid though. They hadn’t spoken more than 4 lines of dialogue together at that point.

Look forward to 2 and 3.

Medan, N. Sumatra. According to local info. However they could be wrong. Will find out soon enough.

Nice. Well if you do have early access, I hope you can review it for us that have to wait!

Very unexcited by Aliens 27, unfortunately. These are becoming less and less psychological thrillers and more and more action pulp.

I have to agree, and that’s coming from a guy who was utterly obsessed with these films as a kid.

I don’t mind action pulp in its place, but I think the Alien films have been out of shock value for a long time. The viewer already knows what there is to know, and all we get to do is watch as yet another new batch of anonymous disposable characters learn all the stuff we’ve been familiar with for 30 years (what happens if I stick my face invitingly above this egg thingy I wonder…?) while dying gruesomely one by one.

They’ve tried to introduce new variants of critter a time or two but they’ve always kinda seemed silly & gimmicky.

I just think they need to put these films away until they come up with a genuinely new angle on them. Alien & Aliens worked because they were so different & because it was still all so unfamiliar. Ever since them they’ve just been remaking Aliens over & over.

Yep, exactly.
I read the book by Alan Dean Foster before any film came out, and it was terrifying - in the late 70’s I think.
First movie was full of intrigue and had intelligent plot twists. Aliens was good and it went downhill from there.

Very unexcited by Aliens 27, unfortunately. These are becoming less and less psychological thrillers and more and more action pulp.

I have to agree, and that’s coming from a guy who was utterly obsessed with these films as a kid.

I don’t mind action pulp in its place, but I think the Alien films have been out of shock value for a long time. The viewer already knows what there is to know, and all we get to do is watch as yet another new batch of anonymous disposable characters learn all the stuff we’ve been familiar with for 30 years (what happens if I stick my face invitingly above this egg thingy I wonder…?) while dying gruesomely one by one.

They’ve tried to introduce new variants of critter a time or two but they’ve always kinda seemed silly & gimmicky.

I just think they need to put these films away until they come up with a genuinely new angle on them. Alien & Aliens worked because they were so different & because it was still all so unfamiliar. Ever since them they’ve just been remaking Aliens over & over.

Very excited by GotG2

Probably just got their hands on the 1st one lol

Medan, N. Sumatra. According to local info. However they could be wrong. Will find out soon enough.

https://youtu.be/duGqrYw4usE

Just showed the clip to my wife and we are off to see it tomorrow afternoon. She knows nothing of the first one. It was either this or Logan. As a surprise l might take her to see Logan on Friday.

Where in the world is Guardians 2 released already? Rest of the world wont get it till April.

Oh my.

https://youtu.be/svnAD0TApb8

Fk, that Alien looks p*ssed at the end, more so than usual !

https://youtu.be/duGqrYw4usE

Just showed the clip to my wife and we are off to see it tomorrow afternoon. She knows nothing of the first one. It was either this or Logan. As a surprise l might take her to see Logan on Friday.

Well, when we got to the cinema we found it wasn’t Guardians of the Galaxy after all, it was simply The Guardians. l think someone posted a link to a preview of that, a week or so ago. A Russian film, with a half bear, half man character. We opted for Logan instead, which was a very different take on any of the previous Wolverine or other super hero movies. Quite grim and with none of the trademark humour of other Marvel efforts.

1 Like

Logan is brilliant, very dark…young girl who plays X-23 does a great job

1 Like