At the movies

Saw Gilda many years ago. I liked it

Rita Hayworth was a stunner. I read a book about her, what Hollywood put her through though to get a look that suited them for a Hollywood starlet was excruciating. (but I suppose they did it to all of them and they still do).

I know, I know, probably no one here interested but went to see Beauty and the Beast yesterday. Was very good.

I saw it years ago too. And I canā€™t remember a damn thing about it. Not one thing. Not even Rita.

I must be getting old.

But I also saw Beauty and the Beast years ago and I remember it very well. The French version by Cocteau. One of the most magical films Iā€™ve ever seen.

I wonā€™t see the Disney version because I know Iā€™ll be disappointed.

1 Like

I totally agree about Ma Loute.

I havenā€™t seen Lā€™avenir because all the films with IH that Iā€™ve seen in about the last 10 years have been about a whole bunch of horrible people. Is this one any different?

Iā€™m seeing Le petit locataire tonight and Otez-moi dā€™un doute tomorrow. Not expecting much tonight but hopeful about tomorrow.

Noā€¦I wouldnā€™t say Lā€™Avenir is full of horrible people.

Iā€™m now checking out the Spanish Film Festival starting Apr 20ā€¦donā€™t seem to be any Hispano-American films like in previous years. Wouldnā€™t mind seeing La Reina de EspaƱa with PenĆ©lope Cruz. Couple of flamenco docos I wouldnā€™t mind either.

Iā€™d probably add that Lā€™Avenir doesnā€™t really go anywhereā€¦just a story of how a middle-aged woman handles abandonment.

But Iā€™ve seen heaps of French farce but not this absurdist merde. Ma Loute was merde.

Ghost In the Shell 2107 8.7 / 10
I am not at all familiar with the source material, but find this movie can stand on its own and make sense, although fans of the original manga anime might be disappointed, but l canā€™t answer for them. The setting is somewhere in Japan in the near future. The landscape has something of a Bladerunner feel to it, but is not as stark or rainy. Johansson plays Major Mira (which l take to be a play on words for big mirror). She has a human brain placed inside a robotic body, and has been trained to be a soldier. She is called into action when someone hacks into the computers of the company that created her, and starts killing off the top executives. The further she delves into the hacker, the more she begins to unravel some mysteries about her own past. That is enough about the plot, which l found engaging.
This movie plugs into the whole future role of AI / robots / cyborgs etc. and how human they will become, or how much they will be able to have emotions. There are many such films in this sub-genre of sci-fi including the aforementioned Bladerunner. Where most other films paint the humans as the good guys and the artificial life as the villain, this one goes down a different path that is refreshing and provocative.
The action sequences are excellent, the pacing is fine and Johansson gives a nuanced performance. She is given solid support by Takeshi Kitano as her boss, Aramaki (not seen in a sci-fi movie since Johnny Mnemonic).

1 Like

Havenā€™t seen the new one but from what Iā€™ve heard the new one remains pretty faithful to the source material. Iā€™ve heard good things.

1 Like

Then you should enjoy it.

The Bye Bye Man.

Think of the better horror movies from the past decade, and theyā€™ve basically tried to mash all the good parts into a movie without a decent story and a stupid looking protagonist, which basically looks like an old man with his ā€œhoundā€ (a bad looking CGI dog). Random ā– ā– ā–  dog for no reasonā€¦

Basically if you hear the name (which is stupid btw) The Bye Bye Man, itā€™ll make you do crazy things and hurt people, so the key here is to not say his name. And of course a teen and his two friends stumble upon the name in a creepy house. Awesome. Hence the movie byline ā€œdonā€™t think it, donā€™t say itā€. Iā€™d probably add donā€™t see it also.

Movie starts off promisingly with a guy trying to kill his family/friends or anyone that has heard the name so they donā€™t spread it. Decent set up. Then the movie trots along to average/below average horror with stupid jump scares, stupid character decisions and bad attempts to copy other horror movies (like the far superior 'Lights Out).

Go see Lights Out or It Follows if you want a decent horror.

5.8/10

1 Like

Lego Batman is pretty fun, though probably a bit too proud of its own cleverness.

2 Likes

Looks awful

hella keen.

2 Likes

Saw a Man called Ove at the Classic Elstenwick.

Basically a Swedish movie about me, but only much funnier. I usually hate subtitles, but as I could relate directly to Ove, really didnā€™t need words.

Good enjoyable movie, even for amiable young ladies.

1 Like

That looks like a Marvel Movieā€¦not sure what else to say.

Just watched the founder.

pretty good movie. Keaton is good at being a grade-a carnt.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thought it was good as well.

actually super keen for atomic blonde, theres something about gunshots synced to music that throw back to the good old COD days.

1 Like