At the movies

Watched F8, I’m a fan of the franchise but they’re not getting better.

They at least rectified the criminal under-use of the Rock in the last movie. Though that did mean that he and Statham push the rest of the gang to the sidelines (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

I don’t usually notice these things, but the direction really bugged me. Stop with the slo-mo!

Fast & Furious 8 2017 8 / 10
l have seen it twice this week. The first time when my wife was out of town and again last night, when she returned. This is the same formula as the previous movies, but dialed up a notch. There is more apparent humour in this episode, see the inclusion of Helen Mirren and the stunts and action are even more outlandish than previously. Check your intellect at the door when you enter, and you can enjoy it, start questioning the all too obvious plot holes and you have missed the point. A rollicking diversion, pure escapism.

Remember when it was about street racing?

best one was only linked toe the franchise in the hopes of more sales (tokyo drift).

just fkg die F&F

I love this: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-fast-and-furious/

1 Like

F8’s biggest problem was lack of humour or heart. It started and finished with ‘family’ talk and then was Swat Assault Team Action fest for the two hours in between.

I’ve never seen one.
Should I ever bother?

Disagree, there was plenty of humour in this one.

I went and saw my first film for this year’s Spanish Film Festival…La Reina de España (The Queen of Spain) starring Penélope Cruz, Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin and Javier Cámara. It’s a comedy with a very serious backstory.

Penélope is a post-war action Hollywood star who’s come back to Spain to film a big costume drama about Queen Isabella, the dominant one of Los Reyes Católicos, Ferdinand (Cary Elwes) and Isabella, who expelled the Moors from Spain, sent Columbus to the New World and started the Spanish Inquisition…all about 1492.

Of course, this is all happening at the height of the Franco era, and figures around Blas Fontiveros who was on the Republican side in the Civil War and has just returned to Spain after years of jail and exile in France. He was a prominent movie director before the war and his wife has now married one of Franco’s top men, so he’s arrested and sent as a slave labourer to help the building of Franco’s giant cross, built as a monument to the Nationalists (Fascists), just north of Madrid, La Valle de los Caídos, with the intention of killing him. So the rest of the cast try to break him out of prison and help him get back to France.

A film with a lot of humorous moments but with a very serious undercurrent.

I enjoyed it a lot. Mainly in Spanish but lots of English spoken.

Penelope was showing a hell of a lot more cleavage than what I reckon Isabella would have.

2 Likes

Slumdog Millionaire. If you haven’t seen it WATCH IT. Awesome. Just a great film.

Also watched Inglorious Basterds, 12 Years a Slave and When Harry Met Sally (lol).

Recommend them all.

1 Like

For God’s sake, don’t let slip any spoilers. There might be two or three people who haven’t seen them.

3 Likes

“Say goodbye to your n azi balls”

12 Years as a slave is the sort of movie you can only watch once. Just brutal and depressing.

1 Like

Netflix makes catching up on a backlog very very easy and cheap. Between films and gaming (and even music on Spotify) I’m perennially 5 or 10 years behind on everything and not unhappy about it either. It’s super economical.

1 Like

Went and saw A Stroke of Luck tonight. Apparently based on a true story.

Villaviciosa is an old spa town where the spa has been under-funded and needs 3 million euros to bring it back to scratch. The whole town’s economy relies on it.

And then they get the good news that a syndicate of citizens have won 4 million euros. All the participants have started celebrating until they realise that they bought their tickets in the local bordello and their wives are definitely not happy at the prospect and stake out the place to see who collects. The only bloke who collects is the spa manager whose mother is happy that he goes there. Qu*eer as a three-dollar note of course.

They make a plan to rob the safe at the knockshop and get the madam out of the way by having her head the procession of the Virgin.

Hilarity ensues.

The Spaniards and French do farce really well and definitely are not constrained by political correctness. The humour is rarely nasty though, although the SJW’s would be up in arms. They can all go and ■■■■ themselves.

GOTG2 was … kinda boring? Like if I had rented it at home I probably would’ve turned it off half way through and caught up later. The jokes just don’t land and the story really goes no where for a long time. You can see where they’re going with it but it doesn’t have the emotional weight I think they were after. They also took the things you liked from the first movie (soundtrack, Bautista) and overdid them hard. Pretty disappointing.

1 Like

Agree. Had a few decent bits. A few of the character moments were good and Baby Groot was the best part of the film

The villain was average.

The soundtrack was average at best

Humour was very hit or miss. Some of the Drax lines were brilliant some were just overdone- especially with all his laughing

The scenes during and after the credits werent really worth staying around for

F&F 8 or whatever they’re up to…

Basically a bunch of muscled up dudes blow up stuff for over 2 hours and throw in a few scenes listening to Vin Diseal talk about the importance of “family”.

Humor misses more than it hits, for the few times scattered in it that there are. Watch in “amusement” as “Roman” plays the screaming scared idiot for another movie or as the franchise sh*t all over itself with Stratham’s character becoming a part of the movie (any more would be spoilers). If the thought of cars being invincible and withstanding missles and racing submarines or taking on the Russian military intrigues you, then go nuts.

Decent review of Ghost in the Shell,