At the movies

Had an interesting discussion with a friend the other day which basically amounted to the how scary a villain is depends on how well the supporting cast portrays the villain as scary.

1 Like

This guy was scary.

2 Likes
2 Likes

A bit late but I just finished watching Matthew McConaughey’s latest The Free State of Jones, essentially about the early days of civil rights in Mississippi.

McConaughey is Newt Knight who doesn’t get why white Southerners are exempt from military service if they own 20 slaves, so he deserts the Confederate Army and returns to Jones County, where a Confederate company is extorting, stealing whatever 90% of produce from farms, ostensibly for their soldiers. He and a group of other whites and slaves head for the swamps where they fight a guerrilla war, and later for the Union, against the local army.

The war finishes, Reconstruction starts and soon enough, the Ku Klux Klan are lynching blacks.

There’s a parallel story where a male descendant is charged with marrying a white woman, while his female ancestor was black, and miscegenation was a crime in Mississippi in the 1960’s.

The funny thing is that Knight and his friends, mostly black, are voting for the Republicans. 23 of them voted but the official count was 419 to 2.

I think you could say Lincoln’s Republicans were a little different from today’s shower.

There’s the odd dramatic invention but mostly true. Website is freestateofjones.info

Watched Affleck in the Accountant.

Don’t.

1 Like

Yep, it’s very good.

I know I’m the only person in the world who still watches movies on television, but in the last couple of weeks Viceland has had Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, and Taxi Driver.
Decent.

2 Likes

I watched Trumbo last night.

Story of a Hollywood screenwriter who was blacklisted in the McCarthy era for having been a Communist.

Alng with 9 others, they were banned from Hollywood in the 1950’s, but Trumbo wrote Roman Holiday which won an Oscar but credited to another. Due to influence from the likes of john Wayne, Ronald Reagan and Hedda Hopper (played by Helen Mirren), they were unable to work under their own names until Kirk Douglas and Otto Preminger said ‘bugger McCarthy’ with scripts for Spartacus and Exodus. Then JFK gave Spartacus the thumbs up (get it?) and the blacklisting period was over.

Bryan Cranston played Trumbo, Diane Lane his wife, Louis C K a composite of a number of screenwriters.

Good fillum’. Roger Franklin from Quadrant and Andrew Bolt would hate it.

3 Likes

Viceland in general has a solid lineup and they do theme weeks which are awesome too

1 Like

I love “F*** That’s Delicious” and “Abandoned”. Hate Giana though, she’s annoying.

1 Like

Everyone needs an Accountant just like that.

1 Like
1 Like

No original ideas in Hollywood any more? It’s all just remakes and superheroes and aliens.

Everyone knows the story of Murder on the Orient Express by now.

What happens? I assume someone dies on a train?

Viceland is good station for good movies.

There’s a twist which I won’t go into…but how many times has it been on TV?

Yep.

Story of that girl thats poisoned from a dim sim at the local fast food Chinese take away.

Wrong one. Dodgy MSG.