At the movies

I think Tv series are far more interesting than most movies these days, They have the luxury of being able to develop deep and meaningful story lines and characters. Most movies to me now feel a bit cliche and follow a very predictable formula and pattern

3 Likes

It wasn’t always the way. Thank Hollywood, short attention spans, and the now now now! mentality.

I think the TV industry is probably bleeding the film industry.

I went and saw Wonder Woman this arvo after hearing raves about Gal Gadot from one of the ladies who run my coffee shop, and all I can say is…'phwoooarrr!". We agree, although from different ends of the spectrum.

Enjoyable fillum with David Thewlis playing a similar role to his role in Fargo Series 3.

I like the ranga from Trainspotting with a bonce only a mother could love. That is one rough head!

Saw Wonder Woman, and if I die I want to be reincarnated as her costume.

2 Likes

Just watched King Arthur…Guy Ritchie spin on the tale…I really enjoyed it

1 Like

I watched Soylent Green for the first time last night (on Viceland. Just missed The Fifth Element).
It’s a really interesting film, with themes that are still relevant.

It’s…kind of difficult to know how to take it though. Acting was different in 1973, so there’s that. And you have Charlton Heston in the lead. He’s sort of playing an action hero, and that seems…weird.
His acting is wooden, his jaw deserves separate billing, but effective I guess.
I’m prepared to forgive a lot in sci-fi.
What’s disjointed about it, is that it’s a film made forty years ago about (from the point of view of now) of a dystopian future.
One of the first scenes shows a woman playing a cough high-tech video game.
It’s Asteroids. In black and white.
You can’t help but laugh at that.

I found its treatment (too harsh? depiction?) of women particularly jarring. And I found myself wondering if this is the 70’s talking or if women’s roles have been genuinely thought out.

It’s clunky.
But there is one scene in particular, after watching the majority of the film through a grey green haze, that is particularly emotional, and surprisingly subtle.

The spoiler, which everyone knows, seemed to me the least interesting part of the film. And the resolution all a bit pointless. It’s hard to imagine what on earth is supposed to change at the end of the movie, and I’m not sure that was the intent.

Well worth a watch, though.
And I can see why people rate it in the sci-fi film genre.

Charlton Heston was also the star in the Omega Man, which was basically a zombie movie (with a touch of vampire) and full of flaws, but very memorable and with one of the best opening sequences you’ll ever see.

Based on the book “I am Legend”, which was also a remake with Will Smith.

Heston did a number of these post apocalyptic / Fked up future roles, starting with “Planet of The Apes.”

1 Like

And screwed up past with Ben Hur.

I loved Frank Thring’s review…Loved Ben, Hated Hur.

Frank was extremely, um, flamboyant…back in the 50s and 60s.

Bring me another cabin boy…this one’s burst…

I saw the first 20 minutes or so of I am Legend before turning it off on account of near-terminal boredom. I hadn’t twigged that it was a remake of Omega Man.

And I had the misfortune to stumble across the remake of Ben Hur the other day. A scene where he was a galley slave in a sea battle. CGI to the nth degree of crappiness. Those old Hollywood epics had their faults, but they had a lot to like in them too.

First hour of Power Rangers is far better than it has any right to be. Last 30 minutes is a bad episode of Power Rangers.

Please tell me you have young children.

2 Likes

I do, and I was a fan of the OG show.

Edit: and it’s not really a kids movie either, it’s like Breakfast Club with super hero powers.

I won’t be going to watch it, but want know do they do/say Go Go Power Rangers. I used to watch this with my son in his younger days, was the only bit I liked.

1 Like

I think that’s the only thing the didn’t do. They even played a retro theme song when the Zords roll out… that’s also precisely the point where the quality of the movie drops off.

1 Like

I used to watch it as a kid

Dragonzord! Mastodon! Pterodactyl! Triceratops! Saber-Toothed Tiger! Tyrannosaurus!

2 Likes

Watched Wonder Woman the other night.

My Goodness.

Is it a good movie?