At the movies

From start to finish, I have not one clue what the hell was going on at any stage in Dr Strange.

1 Like

MAGIC

Saw Dunkirk in IMAX last night and it was tremendous. No glamorous heroes. No shoe-horned love story. Just war stuff.

Yeah it was bland ■■■■■.

Finally watched ‘The Hunger Games’. Can easily be summarised as a boring 2 hour rip off of ‘Battle Royale’, which is far superior in every single way.

1 Like

And for books in a similar vein to hunger games. Red rising is far superior

The Big Sick

Rom-Com, Film about a Pakistani boy and an American girl meeting and dating in Chicago. Very funny film, though did drag on for a bit.

Annabelle Creation. 2017 2 / 10
Anthony LaPaglia & Miranda Otto.

We saw this yesterday, it was my wife’s choice, for our anniversary. Horror is not my choice of genre, and this film reinforced why. It was one cliche after another, until it became a whole string of predictable. As a genre it looks even more tired and bereft of ideas than action movies, which at least have the benefit of including some grim humour from time to time. l won’t be seeing any more horror movies for a long time. My recommendation? Give this one a big miss. The locals got a bit buzz out of it. How do l know this? Because they kept talking throughout the entire film,

should of punched them out. I HATE when people constantly talk throughout a film

1 Like

l was annoyed to begin with, then l realized it was exclusively women talking and they did so because they were genuinely frightened. l found that more amusing than the predictability of the plot. My wife is a local who loves the horror genre, but she spent quite a few minutes huddled up close to me, with her face turned into my shoulder to avoid the scary parts.

Don’t go to the movies in India, then. They’re shocking for it.

Too late l went 40 years ago. Saw Diamonds are Forever in Delhi.

Is that the doll in The Conjuring?

I like horror flicks and actually enjoyed The Conjuring.

l believe it is the same doll, but haven’t seen the Conjuring, so cannot confirm 100 %. IMDB should be able to help on the score.

been sick lately, so watched a ton of films

The zoo keepers wife- pretty good, Was a lot different to what i was expecting. Reminded me a lot of schindlers list (but thankfully not nearly as emotionally exhausting to watch)

Sleepless- Jamie foxx plays an undercover cop- who’s son gets kidnapped and has to get him back. Pretty good action movie

Fences- i really liked it until probably the last 15min or so. Denzel in top form as always. His wife was excellent as well

Sphere- sci fi with Samuel L Jackson, Sharon Stone, and Dustin Hoffman. Scientists go deep into the ocean to search through a alien spaceship. Pretty good

Event Horizon- another sci fi, very weird. 1st half was pretty good, 2nd half was a bit too strange for me

Billy Lynn’s Long Walk- an ok movie about what the public perception of soldiers is compared to the reality of what they go through.

Some blasts from the past there mate.

The Sphere, . wow.

1 Like

If you want a great horror movie, check out ‘Lights Out’. One of my faves from the last year.

2 Likes

Was actually going to watch that on the weekend but went with The Invitation instead.
Think I made a mistake.
Will watch it soon though.

On Netflix. LOL.

But yes, very good.

1 Like

May be of interest to some - a 70s Australian film gets its first Oz TV airing after being blacklisted for political reasons. It screened for the first time in Australian cinemas in 2016.

Airdate: The Unlucky Australians
August 17th, 2017 By David Knox

ABC will screen a rarely seen 1973 film The Unlucky Australians which documented the ‘Wave Hill Walk Off’ and the Gurindji people, the subject of a Frank Hardy book.

Whilst John Goldschmidt’s film screened to Britain and Europe it finally screened in Australia in selected places in 2016.

This will be its first Australian TV broadcast.

Mandy Chang, ABC’s Head of Arts, TV Non Scripted Production, tells: “A bootleg copy of the film was sent to me and Sally Riley (Head of Scripted Production), by an academic who was keen to see it aired. I thought it important enough to send to our MD, Michelle Guthrie, who also expressed a desire to see this unique historical record shown on our screens.

“In the 51 years since it was made, for political reasons it was never broadcast in Australia. By co-incidence, I discovered it was made by an English friend who had never mentioned it. It’s taken well over a year and an epic search by a small team of us – both here and in the UK – who eventually tracked it down and acquired the rights. The ABC has had it restored to its full glory and I feel proud that Australians will now have the privilege of seeing the unfolding story of Vincent Lingiari and his Gurindji Mob, who having walked off Lord Vestey’s property, were lobbying the government to protest their right to land that was rightfully theirs.”

In 1973 British filmmaker John Goldschmidt travelled to Australia to make a film for Associated Television UK. Having supported the American Civil Rights movement in the United States and People’s Democracy in Northern Ireland, Goldschmidt arrived determined to make a film about the unfolding struggle for Aboriginal rights.

After visits to Alice Springs and Darwin, Goldschmidt went to Sydney where he met the author Frank Hardy. Soon the filmmaker had his story.

At Manly, Hardy provided Goldschmidt with an account of the ‘Wave Hill Walk Off’ and of the Gurindji people’s ongoing campaign for land rights. Having been closely involved with the walk off of Aboriginal stockman from Lord Vestey’s cattle station in 1966, Hardy had remained an ardent supporter of the Gurindji and their struggle to reclaim their ancestral homelands.

Hardy’s book on the ‘Walk Off’, The Unlucky Australians, had also played a vital role in communicating the situation in the Northern Territory to audiences across Australia and overseas. Now Goldschmidt, his crew and Hardy travelled north to commit the Gurindji story to film.

The film documents the re-enactment of the Gurindji Walkout from the Vestey’s cattle station at Wave Hill in 1966, and their subsequent setting up of a permanent community at Wattie Creek. Following this they filed a suit for the return of their traditional land. Throughout the film Gurindji leader, Vincent Lingiari, and Frank Hardy talk on the progress (or lack thereof) of the Gurindji people’s ongoing campaign for land rights. The film contains a restricted sequence of ceremonial enactment at a Gurindji rock art site.

Goldschmidt’s film eventually screened in Britain and Europe to an audience of millions, though it was never broadcast in Australia. Although Hardy and others took copies of the film to the Gurindji themselves (screening it on the side of a truck), in the heated political climate of the 1970s, a combination of political and commercial pressure over land rights conspired to keep it from view.

It finally screened in Australia in selected places in 2016, the 50th Anniversary Year of the ‘Wave Hill Walk Off’. This is its first Australian television screening.

The Wave Hill Walk Uff occurred on 23 August 1966.

Gough Whitlam handed back the land to the Gurindji on 16 August 1975.

Sunday August 20 at 10pm on ABC.

4 Likes

Saw Dunkirk today.

Very, very good.

l won’t be around for this one, but would love to see this.