At the movies

l will watch most of them, but l am not a fan of DC material, apart from Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy, also not too thrilled with all the reboots of Spiderman. The latest Thor installment was a lot of fun.

Just watched the original Bladerunner again this morning. I have no idea which of the 8 or so versions it was, but it was 115 minutes long. This version didn’t have the happy escape ending that l first saw when it came out, nor did it have the film noir style voiceover by Harrison Ford. It ended with Deckerd finding the origami horse dropped by Edward James Olmos, as he and Rachel are leaving his apartment. I liked this new, tenser ending, as it leaves the plot hanging with an air of menace about it.

2 Likes

That’s the Directors Cut, which Ridley Scott ironically disowned.

1 Like

Other people like actual good movies

2 Likes

birdman?

We should actually start doing a Top 5 movies list so we can tell who has good taste and whose taste is completely farking irredeemably sh/tful

4 Likes

Winter Solider was both.

Though I haven’t seen it, I believe you! It’s just that for me to watch Winter Soldier I have to watch approximately 175 other tedious Marvel movies first, so no dice

You actually don’t.

Are there any I need to watch? Capt America? Avengers?

Not sure if you were serious or not but I am bored so here goes

1. No Country for Old Men
  2. The Big Lebowski
  3. Empire Strikes Back
  4. Ex Machina
  5. The VVitch

You’ll get the gist of just about everything by starting with winter soldier

I keep a spreadsheet of everything I’ve watched and rate them. Top 5:

The Truman Show
Good Will Hunting
Django
Shawshank
Slumdog

Next are Lake of Fire and Blackfish

And I literally haven’t watched a superhero movie, excluding the Batman trilogy, since Iron Man when I was like 16. I couldn’t dream of paying money to watch The Avengers etc

Inception
That thing you do
The dark knight
Terminator 2
In Bruges

I’m not sure that’s right. I have the Director’s Cut on DVD and according to the box it’s 113 minutes. All of the versions released are around 113-117 minutes in length, and after the American commercial release with the voice-over and tacked-on happy ending that made no sense they all ended on that ambiguous note as Rachel and Deckard are leaving his apartment.

1 Like

These are not in order, and there are probably ten more that could push one or more of these five out.

Round Midnight. French film made by Bertrand Tavernier starring Daniel Auteuil and Dexter Gordon about a saxophone player in the 50s/60s. Lovely portrait of friendship.

A Heart in Winter (Un coeur en hiver), another French one, this time by Claude Sautet, again with Daniel Auteuil but this time also Emmanuelle Béart.

Blade Runner. Any version, really, but I think the Final Cut is about the best. The whole movie is just amazing to watch.

To Kill a Mockingbird. Classic American story-telling with an obvious moral, but brilliantly done. Better than the book.

Kind Hearts and Coronets. An Ealing comedy with Alec Guinness. The dialogue gets me every time.

Great lists so far! I don’t want to see a Top 5 ‘greatest’ movies list (no Godfather or Casablanca) but just your pure top 5 favorite movies. Warts and all.

The Truman Show - @anon71769209 my man.
Team America: World Police
Gattaca
Back to the Future 2
Inglorious Basterds

1 Like

Sicario
Gone girl
John wicks
Primal fear
The man from nowhere

Apocalypse Now
Godfather Pt1 (have to put it in there, despite the cliche, legitimately one of my favourite movies)
Apollo 13
Flying High
Crimson Tide (criminally underrated)

I did mine on here a few years ago and YT told me it was terribly cliched.

Anyhow, here it is in no particular order…

Shawshank Redemption
American Beauty
Titanic
Oceans 11
Aliens

Just out of my Top 5…
Back to the Future
The Departed
Terminator
The Excorcist
Rocky IV

Edit…should have just done a Top 10 :smile: