Nurse ratchet is One Flew Over The Cuckoos nest is pure evil

Kathy Bates in Misery is one sick unit

1 Like

Yeah youā€™re right

Thatā€™s a good nom too

1 Like
1 Like

Cool.

Iā€™m so jealous of all the discussion in the star wars thread. Iā€™m at least a week off getting to see it.

@ivan: One word answer. Are you yes or no?

1 Like

No blunt, no villenueve, more pewpewpew

1 Like

Yes

Watched ā€˜Look Whoā€™s Backā€™, a German film (with subtitlesā€¦I mean I should have expected that when I saw it was a German film, right?) about Hitler waking up in 2014.
Itā€™s aā€¦well, letā€™s say a dark grey comedy.
Obviously it has to be incredibly sure-footed to succeed given the premise, and it is and it does.
It starts with a ā€˜shouldnā€™t be laughing at thisā€™ factor to it at the beginning that you kind of get past, and then it just becomes unnerving.
The style (but not the content) is a little like Borat, with non-actors reactions to Hitler walking around and talking to them about the state of Germany mixed in with scripted actors.
Thereā€™s anā€¦I guess unavoidableā€¦element of farce at times, and thereā€™s a romance subplot (no, not involving Hitler), but thatā€™s not overdone, and neither is the rather obvious point that the premise makes unavoidable.
I donā€™t think too many people would feel lectured.

Funny, disturbing, andā€¦look I know meta is as much of a criticism as a compliment these days, but it is meta, and it is very clever at times.

Not worth a second viewing, but absolutely worth a viewing.
I feel like I donā€™t like a lot of films these days. They just kind of take you from point A to point B with a minimum of fuss and then theyā€™re gone.
I liked this film.
8.5/10

1 Like

ā€œMetaā€ is a prefix meaning ā€œreferring to itself.ā€ This has evolved into a variety of meanings that are used today.
In games, the ā€œmetaā€ is referring to what are the strongest strategies currently. For example, in League of Legends the ā€œmetaā€ is a phrase that means whatever champions are strongest at the moment. This can fluctuate because of patches that change balance and just because champions that are counters to the strongest then become strong themselves.
In comments, a ā€œmetaā€ comment refers to a comment that refers to another comment in the post. For example if someone makes a reference to another comment in the post it is said to be ā€œmeta.ā€
In subreddits, a ā€œmetaā€ subreddit deals with talk about the subreddit. For example, if you want to talk about how r/TIL is run you can post in their meta subreddit. Since not all subreddits are big enough for their own meta subreddit, sometimes ā€œmetaā€ posts are made meant to discuss how things are run in the subreddit by moderators and the community.
In art, a ā€œmetaā€ work is one that refers to itself. For example a ā€œmetafictionā€ story might have a character realize that heā€™s in a story. It can also be more subtle, for example a film about making films is also ā€œmeta.ā€

No clearer for me.

I think, given the author of the post, you can ignore the parts about League of Legends and subreddits.

The film refers to itself, and other Hitler movies, and the character of Hitler mirrors the tone of the film in a very deliberate way.
To misquote Spinal Tap, thereā€™s a fine line between clever and annoyingly smartarse.

1 Like

So ā€˜fourth wallā€™ would be ā€˜metaā€™?

Re: last sentence - if you were referring to me there, then 2 things - I was genuine, and the line now refers back to you :wink:

1 Like

Fourth wall would be meta, but thereā€™s nothing so blatant here.
I feel like describing it too much would spoil it for the maybe one person who takes this recommendation.
But that Borat style of real people and reactions (and impressively improvised) scenes mixed in with the movie do make you wonder ā€˜is this part ā€œrealā€?ā€™ at times, which adds to the sense of unease.

1 Like

Ok, gottcha.
Itā€™s just that Iā€™ve been seeing that term pop up everywhere, and havenā€™t really nailed the definition just by context.

Itā€™s a broad term.
I guess in this case, the film knows itā€™s a film.
The characters donā€™t.

Edit: I guess Tropic Thunder would be a reasonable although stylistically inappropriate comparison.

Like Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction. He doesnā€™t know he is a character in a novel at first, but gradually comes to realize.

1 Like

Really enjoyed that. Dustin Hoffman played a good part in it as well.