At the movies

I think he deserves a lot of credit for getting those sort of films a decent distribution.
You’d reckon he’s helped open the door for other non-blockbuster, non-overwrought academy bait films.

1 Like

I agree with that about some but others I think he hits the mark. This is animated and very cleverly written, particularly how they handle the japanese language components.

I fold the doco on SBS demand as good if not better than the film.

It’s called “The price of gold”.

Check it out.

2 Likes

Not just opened doors for films. You have to give him credit for giving work to some great character actors too.

Obviously I first think of the Owens(who aren’t great). But outside of them he frequently works with the best comedic and character actors in the business. I doubt Bill Murray would have even worked in the last couple of decades if it wasn’t for Wes.

His wiki lists out his recurring collaborators.

Scarlett Johansson, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, Ed Norton, Bryan Cranston, Tida Swinton, Greta Gerwing, Bob Balaban, Yoko Ono, Frances cDormand, Harvey Keitel, Courtney B Vance, Leiv Schreiber…its a reasonable cast in Isle of Dogs… plus a bunch of Japanese actors - people in this thread may know them, i don’t.

1 Like

Yeah Josh Brolin is one of the main characters

2 Likes

Watched ‘In The Fade’ the other night.
Directed by Faith Akin who made the excellent Head-On.
Great performance by Diane Kruger.
Not as goods as Head-On but still a good watch.
Subtitled so not for everyone.
8/10

Don’t look it up - just watch it - as the trailer or even description of the film gives too much of the story away.

Thanks for that, it’s one I’m intending to see.

(yes, I’m a dog lover):slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
1 Like

If you have Foxtel, Dial M for Murder is on this afternoon on FOX Classics.

Just wanting to let you know. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

For the sci-fi nerds.

villeneuve’s dune will be 2 movies.

3 Likes

Damn it, I just saw this post. I missed it!

It’s on at 4.00pm.

That’s interesting.

Wonder if they will make the other books in the series.

Adapting Dune is typically a death sentence but curious what the master can do with it.

some of my favourite movies are by villeneuev, but i’m checking out at sci-fi.

blegh

You didn’t like Arrival?

arrival and blade runner bored me.

i just don’t like sci-fi as a rule. find it dry and boring.

3 Likes

So what would be 3 or 4 movies that’s didn’t bore you? Very curious as I didn’t find those two in the least bit boring.