At the movies

sicario, atomic blonde, dunkirk, john wicks

The Price of Gold is from the ESPN 30 for 30 Doco series and this one is outstanding as are almost every one of their docos are.

My wife is by no means a sports fan (and was never aware of the 1994 incident) but found both the doco and the movie absolutely fascinating to the point of watching both about three times each.

It’s actually amazing that Tonya even qualified for the Olympics, given her unbelievable talent, despite her dysfunctional upbringing and people (including herself) that surrounded her.

It’s actually a pretty tough and sad story for all involved but the performance for me from the movie was of her “bodyguard” Shaun Eckhart and Tonya’s mother (brutal), that was a bit of a highlight.

Ok, got it.

Agree on sicario and Dunkirk. Atomic Blonde was ok, but yeah not boring. Haven’t seen John wicks.

That looks kooky, think I will like it.

1 Like

Has a bit of a Mulholland Drive/Chinatown feel to it.

The director impressed me with his first film ‘It Follows’.

1 Like

Watched Annihilation last night…movie was so overrated

1 Like

I liked it. It certainly didn’t obviously remind me of anything I’d seen before.

1 Like

It wasn’t bad, just people going on about it like it was the greatest new movie ever

I thought that was only before it came out. I was so pumped but it was bad.

Thought it was solid.

Hard to back up after the masterful Ex Machina

Don’t listen to pop culture hype. It will only ever let you down

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it, but have read reviews/discussions that are pretty sympathetic towards her.

One of those “am I taking crazy pills” moments for mine. Has anyone asked Nancy Kerrigan what she thought of the movie?

Discussion a while back about Nick Cage as an actor, and his Movies, and I mentioned Adaptation as one the unconvinced should watch …

Is on SBS tonight @ 8.30 if anyone’s still not seen and is interested.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1118700_adaptation?

3 Likes

I found that a bit hard to follow and, seeing it was based on a real book and a real author, wondered if there was some serious grounds for defamation there.

I reckon if they tell you that Meryl Streep is going to play you in a film. You let them take liberties.

1 Like

I watched The Dark Night Rises last night by mistake, thought I pressed The Dark Knight. Regardless I let it run, I think I liked it even less than the first (and only other) time I watched it. What a mess.

Didn’t she say she wanted nothing to do with the movie? Absolutely zero comment about truth/made up stuff.