At the movies

I agree.

He’s one of my favourites!

Good directors usually have great cinematographers.

Deakin is Villenueves camera of choice!

1 Like

Would it be fair to say that the director has the vision of how they want a film to look, and it is up to the cinematographer to realize that vision?

1 Like

I’d say it’s a bit of both, help a director achieve their vision but the truly brilliant ones have their own styles and know when a director is wrong.

Similar to great Editors you want a director to be overruled occasionally to make a better film.

1 Like

I think someone’s a bit jealous.

Agree. It was a bit of a leading question. The whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

1 Like

Stanley Kubrick didn’t have a lot of respect for cinematographers or actors.

But he is the greatest of all time so who are we to argue😊

1 Like

Yeah he was on another level.

The story I enjoyed watching(not sure where) was the making of Star Wars. Apparently the first cut he showed to Spielberg etc was complete rubbish. He’s wife took over the editing and basically made the movie. You can tell when Lucas had complete control on the prequels both shooting and editing the potential for disaster.

1 Like

Should round out a trilogy and finish off with The Player.

Classic.

1 Like

Dumpster fire is a dumpster fire of an expression

And speaking of Books into Movies, … I watched Simon Bakers adaptation of Wntons “Breath” the other night. I didn’t think it would translate well.

Am interested what anyone who watched it without having read the book made of it though.

Is that legal counsel?

I certainly don’t underrate the cinematographers. I always pay attention to the look of a film. But I don’t think the visuals are entirely due to the cinematographer. The director has a huge influence as well, deciding what type of look and colours are appropriate, and then it’s up to the cinematographer to produce it. Editing is also often overlooked; but cutting a shot a second too sort or too long can completely ruin the flow of a sequence.

2 Likes

This probably made me like it more😀

1 Like

Like James Cameron

James Cameron doesn’t have a lot of respect for his audience either😂

Benatar acolytes here? Surprising.

Love is a battlefield

I wanna ride it all night long

1 Like

Stop using sex as a weapon plz

Essentially the editor has creative control over all aspects of the film, while the cinematographer is the person whose sole job it is to deal with the visual capture of the movie. How much of who dictates what would vary between people and projects. The cinematographer would have much more of a technical understanding of filming, and would have to work out how to best achieve the vision of the film. In an ideal scenario, you would get a director and cinematographer who are both on the same wavelength and have prepared thoroughly, so that the director isn’t required to be too hands on knowing that the cinematographer can do the job

But there’s so much crossover between the director, the cinematographer, the gaffer, vfx, post effects, stunt co-ordinators, certain producers, etc that it’s hard to break it down to an exact definition that holds true for every project.