At the movies

Kinda feels like your disliking it for the sake of disliking it. Then looking for a pat on the back.

1 Like

Went in expecting to dislike film. Came out disliking the film and still complains.

1 Like

Looking forward to Jumanji 3.

Last one was pretty good family movie. Love the rock, love Kevin hart.

2 Likes

Kinda sounds like he gave it one last chance, having originally enjoyed these popcorn flix, then came away with a well explained theory as to why he no longer does. Which he then shared in the Blitz movie thread for discussion of movies.

1 Like

I think the Jumanji reboot worked because of the whole fish out of water aspect.
I donā€™t know if they can make that work in a sequel.

Was it Paul Harris who said that ā€œThe Martianā€ should have been titled ā€œMatt Damonā€?

I caught this on Sunday at Cinema Nova in Carlton. Just amazing. Each time you think you ā€œhaveā€ the film it reinvents itself and brings in a whole new layer. Swings wildly from funny to sad to horrific to funny to moving. But mostly funny.

1 Like

Youā€™re probably right, but itā€™s got Rock, Hart, Black to carry enough gags, plus DeVito.

Kids will love it

1 Like

The Rock. :drooling_face:

1 Like

I agree, in part.
My favourite characters used to be Daredevil, Batman, Iron Man, when I was a kid. Superman was the pinnacle - the end of the line as far as power goes. And then they upped the anti - Silver Surfer, Red Witch, Phoenix, Rogue, Captain Marvel - and the plethora of baddies with almost unlimited power. Takes the edge off.

How will this stack up against the star studded cast of the original? Donā€™t know, but it is made by Roland Emmerich so l have my doubts. Still, l am looking forward to seeing this on a big screen, in November.

Not sure if this movie has already been mentioned. Apologies if it has.

American Animals

Four college aged friends who live an ordinary existence in Kentucky. After a visit to Transylvania University, one of them thinks of the idea to steal the rarest and most valuable books from the schoolā€™s library.

Itā€™s a true story, and they interview all of the real people throughout the movie. It doesnā€™t take you out of the movie though. They also do quirky little things when recounting what happened, because each guy remembers things differently.

There is no shooting, no sex, bit of marijuana use, lots of swearing. You could say it was a dark comedy, depending on your sense of humour.

I find all Hollywood movies preach the same social issues now, and have become very formulaic and dull. So when I watch a movie that attempts to be different, I mark it higher automatically. So keep that in mind.

8/10

MA15+ | 1h 56min | Biography, Crime, Drama

2 Likes

It will no doubt focus on some bullshit character storylines and over-the-top special effects like ā€œPearl Harbourā€ and ā€œRedtailsā€, rather than letting than actual real story of Midway tell itself, like ā€œDunkirkā€ did. I want it to be good, but I expect it to be a bag of swollen haemorrhoids.

2 Likes

l am expecting something similar.

So it appears that James Bond is going to be ā€œretiredā€ and a new 007 will appear.

This new 007 will be both a woman and black.

Why?

I have absolutely no problem with the idea of a black (or any damn colour) female playing a strong character like Bond but I just donā€™t get why they need to make this character 007.

Bond/007 is an iconic character that (imo) should be left alone and not be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness or whatever other bullsh*t concept they have here.

To me is just seems like a lazy moveā€¦rather than trying to develop a character (eg Charlize Theronā€™s Lorraine in Atomic Blonde), the people behind this want to piggyback on Bondā€™s reputation and success.

Iā€™d like to see whatever polling theyā€™ve done to suggest that this is a good moveā€¦to me, it reeks of the Ghostbusters remake and will probably have the same result.

(end of rant)

2 Likes

I thought the Ghostbusters reboot was ā€˜okay.ā€™
Better than Ghostbusters II which was not.

Iā€™d like more detail on the Bond thing before I judge, but it seems odd.
There are obviously other double o agents that they could easily make a movie about in that universe.

1 Like

My take is bond is not female. Bond is still Daniel Craig

Rather in the movie as Bond is retired the new agent with the 007 handle is female.

But boy are the angry internet males up in arms.

1 Like

Soā€¦umā€¦what character will be the mirror of P.ussy Galore?

1 Like

I need convincing as to why thatā€™s not dumb.
Why would you retire Bond?
Why do I care about Not James Bond as 007 regardless of gender?

It just seems messy andā€¦dumb.
So Bond is retired.
Forever? For ever ever?
So that makes this a sequel to the Bond franchise?

I just donā€™t understand why youā€™d deliberately antagonise Bond fans when you could just as easily make the new agent double o anything.

2 Likes

Okay.
Got it.
Bond is retired in 25 and is asked to do another job.
Obviously heā€™s going to have been replaced by someone and that someone happens to be a black woman.
I donā€™t have any problem at all with that.
Just a bit of a shame itā€™s been leaked.

My main issue with the idea was that theyā€™re going to keep making Bond films, because of course they are. With or without Craig.
And heā€™ll be an active agent.
And whoever the next Bond is Will be 007.

So to have another 007 running around in the same universe, regardless of colour or gender, is just confusing and messy.

But theyā€™re not doing that.
So good.