Australia’s Black History

Before I go any further, this simply isn’t the case.
I can assure you that if I tweeted or posted something similar on facebook then I would be taken to an office with two people on the other side of the desk to have a little chat.
The first time.

Nobody would have any problem at all with Folau or Saad or Tippa or anyone you care to name posting, ‘God Saves!’
Or ‘I owe it all to Allah!’
Or whatever.

The question was what if the AFL did? Its more than fair to say that religious freedom has become a bigger issue recently so what if the AFL decide that they simply don’t want any player to make any religious comments at all. Do you support the basic position that an employer should be able to contractually suppress your ability to express your beliefs, any beliefs?

I would be, too.

However, a random* example.

Personal use of social and emerging media
Staff should be aware that they are responsible for their conduct online and the content published when using social media for personal purposes. Staff should refer to this policy to ensure that actions do not negatively
impact ABCDE Ltd when using social and emerging media.
 Staff must disclose in all social and emerging media that identify them as an ABCDE Ltd employee that opinions expressed are their own, and do not represent the views of ABCDE Ltd. For example: “Opinions in this website are personal and do not represent the views of ABCDE Ltd” or “Views are my own.”
Staff must not make any comments in relation to ABCDE Ltd that bring ABCDE Ltd’s business, practices or personnel into disrepute or which could be construed as being libellous, discriminatory, or constitute bullying or harassment.
 ABCDE Ltd’s Harassment and Bullying policies apply to conduct online as well as in a physical
workplace. Staff must not publish threatening, harassing, bullying, defaming or discriminatory content towards other ABCDE Ltd employees, contractors or agents online.
 Staff must ensure that the privacy and confidentiality of information acquired at work is protected at all times and treated in accordance with relevant legislation and ABCDE Ltd policies. Staff must not disclose any customer identifiable information of any kind on any form of social and emerging media without the written
permission of the customer.
 Staff must not imply that they are speaking on behalf of ABCDE Ltd if they have not been authorised to
do so on social and emerging media. This includes using anABCDE Ltd email account, logos or insignia
online as this may be interpreted as being authorised or endorsed by ABCDE Ltd.
 Staff should also be aware of the risks of viruses and malicious content. It is advisable to not click on any suspicious links and only enter passwords on official social media websites.
 Staff using social and emerging media should make themselves aware of the privacy risks when using these platforms. Most social networking sites have profiles viewable to the public by default. If more privacy is desired then the user must change their privacy settings.
 Staff should familiarise themselves with the “Top ten tips for social networking” document provided by the Communications team to ensure their use of social networking does not negatively impact themselves or ABCDE Ltd.

1 Like

Itd be interesting in the scope of this court case to check various social media clauses.

Knew one bloke who was a fairly conservative muslim. But to his credit he didnt bring any controversial views he would hold at the work place…didnt track his instagram/fb/other Internet activity though. And I doubt his employer did either.

Also once worked at a place that was very vocally and publicly supportive of gay Marriage, little quiet on religions place in the discussion.

So I reckon the business world will be a little quiet on this issue.

Religion is important. But its place in society sure is under fire. Congrats to the pollies and sports people who have touched this.

If I was them I would be hoping it went away quickly. (which is why I think the media is far more anti folau than pro).

I don’t understand your what if.
I’d be against someone being banned from saying they were religious on social media. Does that answer your question?

To the last part, I believe that my employer has the right to suspend or fire me if I embarrass them.
Especially if I’ve been warned on a particular topic and I go ahead and ignore that.

1 Like

This states it all rather well.

And likely outcome: settlement.

1 Like

He wasn’t specifically targeting LGBTQI, he listed all the “sins”, it is just that the media focused on one part.

The haters as you call them have never left, some were pushed a little underground and some have been a little more circumspect. But churches are not united behind this, churches are very much split on the issue of homosexuality, so you will never again, in this current world, see a united front on the LGBTQI discussion.

lol.
I’m available for hire.

it was a good read and food for thought, I also agree with him.

It did make me wonder if RU would sack an atheist if they went on FB ranting against Christians and making some very disparaging remarks. As long as they are consistent I don’t mind, problem is there tends to be a bit of hypocrisy in some of these issues.

1 Like

I would hope they would.

1 Like

Well I guess i’m more for workers rights on this one than you :smile: I don’t believe any employer should be able to sack you because they don’t like you expressing your views. If he directly attacked the employer or tried to represent his views as that of the employer then thats a different prospect. If the tweet was threatening or encouraging of violence or illegal behaviour then again thats different but in this case I just read it as a Christian baring witness to basic Christian beliefs. I think this is dangerous area employers are creeping into & I say that as an employer.

1 Like

This thread has veered a long way from Australia’s Black History. Isn’t there a gay marriage thread or political correctness thread or something we can resurrect for the Folau stuff?

4 Likes

Pretty sure that’s one of the signs of the apocalypse. :wink:

1 Like

Yes how do you move stuff?

When the hell are we getting our saviour? Is Dodoro one of the horsemen and only once he is slain will the true saviour be revealed (drafted)???

That would be one Hell (haha) of a reaction.

1 Like

I think you’ll find a lot of work contracts have all kinds of stuff hidden in there, most people never read them in their entirety.

Certainly his contract with Rugby League certainly stipulated certain things which he broke and when warned broke again. So I am wondering who put him up to this and what’s really all behind it?

I detect a lack of certainty in this assertion

Only repeating what I’ve read in the press. If you really want to know ask Israel.