Australia’s Black History

This states it all rather well.

And likely outcome: settlement.

1 Like

He wasn’t specifically targeting LGBTQI, he listed all the “sins”, it is just that the media focused on one part.

The haters as you call them have never left, some were pushed a little underground and some have been a little more circumspect. But churches are not united behind this, churches are very much split on the issue of homosexuality, so you will never again, in this current world, see a united front on the LGBTQI discussion.

lol.
I’m available for hire.

it was a good read and food for thought, I also agree with him.

It did make me wonder if RU would sack an atheist if they went on FB ranting against Christians and making some very disparaging remarks. As long as they are consistent I don’t mind, problem is there tends to be a bit of hypocrisy in some of these issues.

1 Like

I would hope they would.

1 Like

Well I guess i’m more for workers rights on this one than you :smile: I don’t believe any employer should be able to sack you because they don’t like you expressing your views. If he directly attacked the employer or tried to represent his views as that of the employer then thats a different prospect. If the tweet was threatening or encouraging of violence or illegal behaviour then again thats different but in this case I just read it as a Christian baring witness to basic Christian beliefs. I think this is dangerous area employers are creeping into & I say that as an employer.

1 Like

This thread has veered a long way from Australia’s Black History. Isn’t there a gay marriage thread or political correctness thread or something we can resurrect for the Folau stuff?

4 Likes

Pretty sure that’s one of the signs of the apocalypse. :wink:

1 Like

Yes how do you move stuff?

When the hell are we getting our saviour? Is Dodoro one of the horsemen and only once he is slain will the true saviour be revealed (drafted)???

That would be one Hell (haha) of a reaction.

1 Like

I think you’ll find a lot of work contracts have all kinds of stuff hidden in there, most people never read them in their entirety.

Certainly his contract with Rugby League certainly stipulated certain things which he broke and when warned broke again. So I am wondering who put him up to this and what’s really all behind it?

I detect a lack of certainty in this assertion

Only repeating what I’ve read in the press. If you really want to know ask Israel.

I think he has a very good chance of winning his case against the ARU. No matter what Peter Gordon says on SEN, employment contracts cannot infringe on civil rights, and even if Folau is a silly tossbag, he stated a well-held religious point of view which I would suggest is a protected civil right in this country.

1 Like

I was just being a smarty pants. You used the words ‘certainty’ and ‘certain’ three times in one short sentence. Idle hands

It’s certainly a good case to test both the breadth and the strength of that right in Australia.

That said, as far as I’m aware we actually don’t have a a right to ‘freedom of speech’ in Australia. Yes, we talk about it a lot but it’s a US concept that we’ve imported into political discussion. The courts here have given some expression to it in the implied right to political communication.

Does Folau’s tweet fall attract the protection of that implied right? Hard to say, I reckon. Arguably not but it depends on how widely the court is prepared to interpret ‘political communication’.

Its more about his work creating strings to his freedoms.

I like villains we can boo in sport. Dont see or understand the fascination with brand.

He has every right to make the Tweet and have his views heard, … the only issue is his work contract strictly forbade him from doing so on such subjects, which he agreed to and signed up for. Then he breached that contract and was summarily dismissed, and THAT should be an end to it, … why it isn’t, & how it’s become somehow about “Free speech” is fkn beyond me.

1 Like

Seriously, can we not do to this thread what we’ve done to an entire indigenous way of existence?

There’s at least two other threads for this.

1 Like