Australia’s Black History

Should have been hanged by the Kanakas.

2 Likes

Not “allegedly”…

1 Like

This topic may have been mentioned already above, but it’s too important to ignore. Here’s The Guardian’s take.

If thats true the cities name is a slap in the face to all indigenous Aussies and should be changed

3 Likes

I was combatting a guy on Twitter yesterday who was ■■■■■■■■ about Visit Victoria sponsoring the Diamonds because Victoria was queen during a period of genocide.

He just kept on and on - so hit the Block option. No time for ■■■■■■■■ like that.

There is no doubt that it would be appropriste for her to disclaim her old mans views on this and, maybe, many topics. However its not appropriate to say that because her old man was a racist, therefore she should be treated as though she is also. Otherwise you have to treat all offspring of offenders as though they also offend, pretty stupid.

I think there is quite a difference when you take into account her status in the community…the vast majority of “offspring of offenders” don’t have her ability to influence things like she does.

A few simple words saying that she does not agree with her father’s words would have avoided all this debate.

But (imo) she feels that she is above all that stuff and that she shouldn’t be held to account.

1 Like

Old man Hancock’s company was built on the foundation of his racist ideas; Gina inherited the company from daddy and is the country’s richest woman, if not our richest person, male or female, because of her inheritance.

I’m not asking her to sell all she has and give the profits back to the indigenous people her father ripped off; I’m simply asking that she acknowledge her father’s racist beliefs and behaviours, and that she apologise for them.

However, Gina was daddy’s darling : she inherited the Hancock company. The feeling wasa mutual. Daddy is like God in Heaven to Gina : she won’t put up with any criticism of daddy, and will not apologise for or even acknowledge any of the wrongs he said or did.

In a 1984 interview (“Couldn’t Be Fairer” ) Hancock suggested forcing unemployed indigenous Australians − specifically “the ones that are no good to themselves and who can’t accept things, the half-castes” − to collect their welfare cheques from a central location. “And when they had gravitated there, I would dope the water up so that they were sterile and would breed themselves out in the future, and that would solve the problem.”

Gina is Lang Hancock’s only acknowledged child. It’s high time that a DNA test was done to establish Hilda Kickett’s paternity. (Her mother, of course, was aboriginal…)

1 Like

I agree that it would make ,“sense” to distance herself from his attitude, but, she has the right to remain silent, and everyone else has the same right to interpret that silence as they see fit.

1 Like

See comments above

1 Like

I know a couple of indigenous people that are impressed at this and hope it turns into something special

1 Like

Courtney Ugle will be one of the speakers at Moonee Valley’s ‘Bunjil’s Marroun Healing Ceremony’ being held at Queen’s Park from 5pm on Jan 26.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Thanks for posting that, very timely and most welcome.

3 Likes

National Archives has a pic of Wirradji elder Billy Clements on the steps of the Old PH at Canberra when it was opened in 1927.
He walked from Tumut for the Opening, but does not feature in the official newsreel.

3 Likes

From the article (my emphasis) …

South Australia’s main celebration in the Adelaide CBD will begin from 5.30pm on January 25 until the evening of January 26, the actual date European settlement first took place on Australian soil in 1788.

If you ignore Dutch settlement in WA through the 17th century, mostly just marooned seafarers, the first European settlement in Aus took place in Botany Bay on 18th January. They moved the settlement north to Sydney about a week later.

Which leads me to something I simply can’t understand about the celebration of Australia day on January 26th. Putting aside for a minute the offence to the original inhabitants, why choose January 26?

Let’s look at a few possibilities for a national day:

1. 1788 January 18 - first European settlement established
  2. 1788 January 26 - first European settlement moved about 10km north
  3. 1788 February 7 - Establishment of the colony of NSW
  4. 1901 January 1 - Australia founded
  5. 1901 May 9 - First parliament
  6. 1967 May 27 - Referendum to give all Australians the right to vote

The one that makes least sense in that list is Jan 26 (closely followed by the other two dates in 1788). I mean, the movement of a penal settlement to a better location? Can anyone justify that date to me over, say, the foundation of the nation on January 1st?

1 Like

It’s pretty obvious why we don’t use Jan 1 as a public holiday for Australia Day.

I like May 27th of that list.

3 Likes

Wasn’t January the 26th the day that Phillip raised the British flag and claimed the colony of Australia.
Jan 26th is therefore the first day that Australia was a colony

How about a new date based on a significant constitutional change .
Just make it in Feb so we can have good weather and a long weekend.

3 Likes

26 January was adopted as the date by the Australian Natives Association, ‘natives’ being Australian born, a Republican movement.
It successively lobbied for it to be recognised as a holiday, but it was initially called ANA Day.

1 Like