Australia’s Black History

Obviously we’re an ancient land with our Aboriginal forebears of a vastly different time. And we could pick several of those dates Humble listed. However the anchoring of A date must reflect what happened. A motley English crew sailed up north of Botany and proclaimed Port Jackson as the new settlement. And here we all are.

I can see why we plumped for that date i.e. 26th Jan rather than the others but thats where we are today. We should if not already declare a PH date in respect of our indigenous folk. Any date they prefer.

1 Like

Have a vote.

If the day stays the 26th. Make another public holiday in Feb, celebrating indigenous people.

I don’t particularly care if the date gets changed or not (it probably should be, if it did go to a vote I’d vote to change) but until it is I’ll celebrate today.

5 Likes

1st Monday in February.

1 Like

Let’s be honest, not many people really give a ■■■■ about Jan 26, it’s just the more that people suggest it’s a ■■■■■■ day for the indigenous community, those in favour dig in further and amp up the love for the day.

I wish a government had the stones to say, ■■■■ it, we’re changing the day, deal with it dot gif.

12 Likes

Wow.

How many countries are on the list of those who celebrate British Colonisation as their national day?

Answer is 1.

8 Likes

Why wow? They are elected to make decisions, usually ones that a section of community don’t like.

What if it’s the majority??

You really think the majority are in favour of the 26th?

In any case, is every decision made to please the majority?

I just want it changed to a date that will outrage the LNP, Sky News and every bogan with an Aussie flag on their avatars. And while we’re doing that, turf the Union Jack off our flag and change the colours to green and canary yellow (that’s Australian gold, my friend), with the Southern Cross and the aboriginal flag.

That should get right up the collective noses of people who ■■■■ me.

11 Likes

That’s what a vote would be for.

New day, new flag, new song.

Let’s grow up.

3 Likes

Today in India it is a National Public Holiday. 26th January is Republic Day in the largest republic and democracy in the World. It was the day they finally p!shed off the British Raj and become a Republic.

So maybe we should not change the dye, just proclaim 26th January 2024 as the day was removed the Pommy King as our head of state and become a republic. It would have a sort of irony as well.

4 Likes

What exactly is it that you’re celebrating, scotty? (polite enquiry)

1 Like

Being lucky enough to live in one of the best countries in the world.

5 Likes

And Saucy, what day would you personally pick as our National day?

I may have a solution by the way …

18 Likes

I’m a lot more cynical than most.

Changing the day isn’t going to change anything.

They will then not want it to be called ‘Australia Day’.

It’s not about what it’s about… If you get what I mean.

5 Likes

@OBITV Pretty much this

5 Likes