Australian Open 2016

If Tomic had half the heart of Hewitt he would be a fairly decent tennis player.

You display a limited understanding of tennis - Tomic is already a decent tennis player - You have to be decent to be number 17 - Tomic has admitted he needs to do more fitness work, but tries to overcome this by playing many tournaments - Tomic needs to realise this is not a panacea to overcome a lack of training - Tomic gets fitter and its a possibility he could make top 10 - Tomic still lacks mobility, especially when moving forward and he is not aggressive enough with his shot making - Tomic plays to far behind the baseline, though it was pleasing that he only played a metre behind the baseline against Murray, and attacked his shots which lead to 56 unforced errors - Tomic needs to accept a few more unforced errors in his game in the quest to get better. In saying this, my observation is that Tomic’s performance this Australian summer have been below his 2015 standard. Anyway its a long season and we can revisit Tomic at the end of 2016.

Actually considering I spent the best part of 15 years playing competative tennis, I think I have a fairly good grasp on how it works. Tomic lacks heart.

Federer gave one of his best ten performances ( that i've watched ) tonight - His tennis was breathtaking and on another level.

Interested to see how Tomic performs against Murray - He needs to be more aggressive and not play from two metres behind the baseline - Tomic has reached a consistent level of performance - Now its a matter of whether he can raise his level in the future.

Kyrgios - Many of the experts believe he is a certainty to win a Grand Slam - I am yet to be convinced as Kyrgios needs to improve his mobility, court craft and variety of shots.

I think Kyrgios has all the attributes required except for one thing, ticker. He simply isn’t driven enough to ever be successful. If he can find the hunger of a Federer or Djoker he might get there but if he stays at his half arsed efforts he currently offers he will continue to fall down when he reaches the last rounds.

It’s more than hunger - There are technical and game sense aspects of his game which need to improve - More hunger won’t overcome these deficiencies.

Incorrect, it is hunger/desire/heart that makes Federer and co as good as they are. They desire to improve and to overcome their deficiencies, they desire to be the very best that they can be, they want to be number one so they do everything they can to be that. Nick wants to party and doesn’t really put in off the court to be the best on the court. It is hunger that makes you practice, as it is in most sports.

Nick also struggles with having the right coaches which doesn’t help him.

He has an ability to play this game at the highest level but his focus isn’t on being the best.

Nice to see Radwanska progress. She will run into players with genuine weapons now, though.

If Tomic had half the heart of Hewitt he would be a fairly decent tennis player.
You display a limited understanding of tennis
Geez cop that IT!

Having been there to see Tomic’s win over Millman, I feel confident Federer’s assessment is spot on. That was the first time I’ve seen Tomic live and it was particularly enlightening. He does the bare necessity to win and lacks the fitness and especially mobility to be consistent top ten. If he is to achieve that level, he has serious work to do IMO. Sure he has talent, but so does every top 50 male tennis player. It takes a truckload more than just talent to be top ten on a consistent basis. I’m yet to be convinced Tomic possesses that extra drive.

You display a limited understanding of tennis - Tomic is already a decent tennis player - You have to be decent to be number 17 - Tomic has admitted he needs to do more fitness work, but tries to overcome this by playing many tournaments - Tomic needs to realise this is not a panacea to overcome a lack of training - Tomic gets fitter and its a possibility he could make top 10 - Tomic still lacks mobility, especially when moving forward and he is not aggressive enough with his shot making - Tomic plays to far behind the baseline, though it was pleasing that he only played a metre behind the baseline against Murray, and attacked his shots which lead to 56 unforced errors - Tomic needs to accept a few more unforced errors in his game in the quest to get better. In saying this, my observation is that Tomic’s performance this Australian summer have been below his 2015 standard. Anyway its a long season and we can revisit Tomic at the end of 2016.

Actually considering I spent the best part of 15 years playing competative tennis, I think I have a fairly good grasp on how it works. Tomic lacks heart.

Playing tennis and actually watching tennis and following the tour are two different things - Tomic plays too much as a counter puncher which combined with his deficiencies mobility mean he will always struggle to beat top 5 players - Tomic could possibly make the top 10, and win his one or two tournaments a year and sometimes get to a QF or even a SF of a Grand Slam.

At least I critique Tomic’s game instead of throwing up slogans.

Federer gave one of his best ten performances ( that i've watched ) tonight - His tennis was breathtaking and on another level.

Interested to see how Tomic performs against Murray - He needs to be more aggressive and not play from two metres behind the baseline - Tomic has reached a consistent level of performance - Now its a matter of whether he can raise his level in the future.

Kyrgios - Many of the experts believe he is a certainty to win a Grand Slam - I am yet to be convinced as Kyrgios needs to improve his mobility, court craft and variety of shots.

I think Kyrgios has all the attributes required except for one thing, ticker. He simply isn’t driven enough to ever be successful. If he can find the hunger of a Federer or Djoker he might get there but if he stays at his half arsed efforts he currently offers he will continue to fall down when he reaches the last rounds.

It’s more than hunger - There are technical and game sense aspects of his game which need to improve - More hunger won’t overcome these deficiencies.

Incorrect, it is hunger/desire/heart that makes Federer and co as good as they are. They desire to improve and to overcome their deficiencies, they desire to be the very best that they can be, they want to be number one so they do everything they can to be that. Nick wants to party and doesn’t really put in off the court to be the best on the court. It is hunger that makes you practice, as it is in most sports.

Nick also struggles with having the right coaches which doesn’t help him.

He has an ability to play this game at the highest level but his focus isn’t on being the best.

I am discussing the comments by tennis experts who claim Kyrgios is NEARLY a lock to win a Grand Slam - I have doubts about some technical aspects of his game which need to be addressed to win a GS - Yes preparation off the court is a big factor in performance, but if you don’t have the tools you can only reach a level - I’ll give you the example of David Ferrer - Known as the players professional in his work ethic and habit,s but doesn’t have the tools to win a GS - I will say that Kyrgios has a better chance of winning a GS than Tomic, though I reckon Kokkinakis has the most rounded game of the three.

Having been there to see Tomic's win over Millman, I feel confident Federer's assessment is spot on. That was the first time I've seen Tomic live and it was particularly enlightening. He does the bare necessity to win and lacks the fitness and especially mobility to be consistent top ten. If he is to achieve that level, he has serious work to do IMO. Sure he has talent, but so does every top 50 male tennis player. It takes a truckload more than just talent to be top ten on a consistent basis. I'm yet to be convinced Tomic possesses that extra drive.

A good summary - Tomic needs to get fitter, although his height 195cm, will make it tough for him to gain much more extra mobility - There haven’t been many 195cm players win Grand Slam. Where Tomic can improve is being more aggressive in his shot making and playing closer to the base line - It’s the risk and reward strategy - How brave is Tomic.

First time I’ve watched Tomic live last night. His dinky game may cause problems to those outside the top 10, because it’s full of gile and slice, but he doesn’t have the defensive capabilities or mobility to be able to dish that out to a top seed and expect to win. Players like Djokovic and Murray aren’t going to throw away enough unforced errors.

I’d say he needs to really do some work on his mobility, because it’s seriously awkward watching him run for balls. Honestly I can’t see him progressing past the quarters is unless he commits to a more attacking game.

the spirit of poo is alive and well

the spirit of poo is alive and well
Yes, but the Poo had more ability than Tomic. His off court preparation left a lot to be desired as well, and possibly contributed to some of the injuries he sustained.

Novak!

Another win for MILOSHHHH

Yeah - The Poo made two grand slam finals and managed to singly handledly win a Davis Cup final on clay in Paris - Poo had more talent than Tomic, though reckon Kyrgios has more talent than Poo.

7 just replayed highlights of the 2009 5-set final between Federer and Nadal. Crikeys, Nadal was a very different bottle of supplements back in 2009. A shadow of his former self nowadays. The standard of tennis looked a good deal better than anything I’ve seen in this tournement. Which makes me wonder if Djokovic is really that good or the standard has diminished, allowing him to stand out.

7 just replayed highlights of the 2009 5-set final between Federer and Nadal. Crikeys, Nadal was a very different bottle of supplements back in 2009. A shadow of his former self nowadays. The standard of tennis looked a good deal better than anything I've seen in this tournement. Which makes me wonder if Djokovic is really that good or the standard has diminished, allowing him to stand out.
He's really that good.

Imo Novak was pretty good back then as well
But I didn’t call him Chokervic for no reason

Bizarrely lethargic first set from Federer.

The Serb is killing him.

Poor Roge, getting smoked here.