Australian Politics -- and YOU WILL LIKE IT

Reports that the CEO of the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility has resigned ahead of Senate Estimates.
NAIF is a $5bn Fed lending facility to finance projects by the Governments of the NT, Queensland and WA.

So who do we want as a new speaker to bring the whole thing to an end?

Laming? Cash?

Laming is due to be promoted I guess.

Can we vote using a blind trust?

1 Like

Cash is a Senator, what about Christiansen?

Barnaby in charge for the next 6 days or so. God help us!

1 Like

ZING!

14 Likes

What a disgrace.

Any idea what she was referring to in terms of what ‘I’m batting for us’

It could be simply how people do business, but if you’re sleeping with someone and simply throwing money around and stadiums, then your cooked.

:fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Very likely discussing things like the $5m upgrade to the clay shooting range.

1 Like

So, on the one hand you the argument is that if all the stars align, those 76 illegal votes could throw an election.

And on the basis of that, they want to slow down voting (since it will take longer), make voting more frustrating (as some people won’t have valid ID and have to go home & back) and some people who don’t have ID will actually be stripped of their democratic rights.

Oh, and it doesn’t really fix the theoretical problem since if one of those 76 people really wanted to vote twice they could use a fake ID anyway. Unless you also want to spend millions linking everything up to national databases so the AEC workers can check ID’s validity? Causing more delays, and more issues?

The logic in favour of this is stunning…

1 Like

Honestly, there’s no practical benefit to the liberals. Or to the fringe right.

All this does is signal alignment and support to the Trump supporter type.

That is it.

3 Likes

So you have to provide an ID to vote but can be anonymous in providing funding to members of parliament?

21 Likes

Let’s just triple the travel costs.

7 Likes

If that’s true, what a fkg shitthead. Fkg ScumMo pulling a stunt like that on the way to explain to world leaders how he is reducing fossil fuel use/CO2 emissions

10 Likes

Probably do one of those F1-11 fuel dump and burn over the conference centre just for ■■■■■ and giggles

1 Like

Smith gave a neat backhander to the Manager of Government Business ( Dutton) in announcing his resignation as Speaker

• going to the backbench to represent my electorate in Casey
    • and will only ask Qs relevant to my constituents
      ( so don’t’ feed me those idiotic Dixers like you do to the stooge backbenchers to fill up QT before you shut it down)
2 Likes

Voter ID for elections is the pre-cursor for a national identity card which Australian’s have opposed going back for many years - Currently 144 countries have an ID card, while 31 have an optional ID card and 19 have no ID card - Could be interesting times.

1 Like

Situations in different countries may not be comparable. It depends on who is eligible to vote at different levels of government, how people can get on the electoral roll, the relative strength of AEC counterparts in mitigating gerrymanders, whether voting is compulsory or optional, electronic and pre Election Day voting etc , which may skew outcomes.
This is a second or third order issue. Meanwhile, there will be no promised Federal ICAC in this period of Government and the legislating of climate change commitments has been rejected.
And nothing done at all to address the distortions of Palmer strategies - to spend so much money to secure continuation of the Coalition. .
And there goes Tudge. Wants a National curriculum to reflect a liberal democracy.

1 Like

My politics doesn’t go very far back, but didn’t we go to referendum on an Australia card and wasn’t it the LNP who were dead set against it?

1 Like

We’ve all got an ID card now, with check ins and vaccination certificate.

3 Likes