Australian Politics -- From early August 2022

Yep.
That’s what I was watching.
It wasn’t Sky level, but it wasn’t good.

1 Like

These three sentences are all in a row in one paper. This is appalling stuff:

"As the state election reaches its final day, a final opinion poll shows Premier Daniel Andrews on track for a third term as Premier.

As millions of Victorians go to the polls for the state election, there is the real possibility the state could wake up to news of a new Premier on Sunday morning.

However, the final opinion poll shows Daniel Andrews and the Labor party are likely to hold onto power for a third term in office, after winning the election in 2014. "

4 Likes

That belongs in the death of journalism thread.
It doesn’t read to me as wrong or biased.
It’s just terrible writing.

3 Likes

This is what the poll said:
Conducted by Newspoll, on behalf of The Australian , Labor maintained a majority in the two-party-preferred result of 54.5 per cent, against the Coalition’s 45.5 per cent The numbers were similar to polls conducted three weeks ago, which also placed Labor in front with a result of 54 to 46 per cent.

News poll of 55 and they are trying to spin it as close. That’s huge win territory.

My sample of one booth I’m lined up at. Lots of people wearing masks and zero cookers.

I swear to Dawkins…if this election ends up exactly as polled for the last two years, I am going to misplace my poo.

Well, jerk journalist are gonna jerk journalist, but I don’t think the 2pp vote is likely to be a very good measure of this election. Politics isn’t a matter of swings back and forth between the major parties any more, when non-majors are getting a third of the primary vote. If the ALP loses their majority it probably won’t be because people are flocking to the libs.

Media should have learned this after the federal election, but like so many other things that bit if reality seems to have bypassed them utterly and they’re sticking to what they’ve always done.

Yeah, but…I don’t mean to be mean, but…I feel like you very much have a dog in this race.

The Greens and Indie seats will be interesting.
I’m not convinced there will be a linear progression.
More than previous, certainly.

1 Like

By about 6.01pm it will be…

I mean…it’s interesting.
You’d think that it only needs a small swing to the ALP and the Liberals would be the minor party of the Coalition would be worth mentioning…

1 Like

I think it’ll be called by 8pm to 8:30pm.
Victory & concession speeches will be during the soccer, with minimised viewers watching.
By 10pm the channels will switch to their fallback movie. I’m guessing 007, Bourne Supremacy and one of the older Spiderman movies.

Personally, I’m hoping for a ALP minority government. Both parties need to learn to work hard for their policies.

4 Likes

I don’t think Indies will have much of a presence at all. They need to come second so that preferences flow to them. The federal election was different with some of the teals getting huge recognition in the press. People knew who they were. I just can’t see some faceless person with teal coloured branding gets the high 20% needed to come second before distributions.

Greens definitely could take a few seats.

3 Likes

The one sided media in Victoria is a ■■■■■■■ disgrace.

12 Likes

It really is. You’d think they’d realise that they are now just a joke to a large proportion of the population!

3 Likes

Unfortunately the population takes them just seriously enough to prop them up financially through perpetual consumption, otherwise they’d have been wound up long ago

There is legitimate criticism of Andrews but it’s overwhelmed by the nonsense and noise they drum up.

Because of the striking bias and the lack of support over COVID, I don’t understand how Victorians don’t do a Liverpool and stop buying that rubbish.

5 Likes

The journalists have swallowed the Guy narrative that Andrews is totally divisive, that out health system has collapsed and debt is terrible.
The Guy solution? Open a few hospitals here and there ( nothing about health staff and GP shortages)
As to debt, Guy would privatise Werribee, raid the Future Fund to bring the Budget into surplus one year ahead of the ALP. What is he going to do to replenish the Future Fund? Privatisation is a one off, after that would sewage costs to the consumer rise?

3 Likes

I think its a stretch to call them journalists.

But if you don’t like Andrews, surely Guy is not the answer. Will we see more independents get up?

4 Likes

Dropped a $20 @ $3.10 on a Lib win in my seat of Ashwood, it’s shortened to $2.50.

Promise to spend my winnings ( who knows?? ) at the Bombershop.