Australian Politics -- From early August 2022

It certainly wouldn’t hurt. I mean, the problems facing indigenous people that you list have all developed when there hasn’t been a Voice to parliament and often in parliaments with very little or no indigenous representation, so clearly the current system isn’t working.

But to take a bigger picture view - the Voice wouldn’t fix the problem of (for example) domestic violence among indigenous people because that’s not what it’s for. The Voice is about recognising, and taking a few steps towards alleviating, a monstrous injustice of the past. It’s not a magic bullet for all indigenous issues, and none of its proponents expects it to be. But I do gloomily expect that we’ll be hearing a lot of bad-faith ‘whatabout’ arguments in the leadup to the referendum. There’ll be a lot of people pontificating that the REAL issue is alcohol abuse (or something) which the voice won’t solve so the voice is a waste of time. From a greenie who’s used to hearing, for instance, that we’re wasting time campaigning for better old-growth forest protection when the REAL issue is plastic pollution - and I often hear this from people who oppose action on both issues. I’m dreadfully, wearily familiar with the tactic. Don’t get distracted. We have to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time on indigenous issues. Just cos there are other issues too, doesn’t mean the Voice isn’t worth doing.

16 Likes

Thanks for the response.

1 Like

Im in the camp that those stats bear fruit because of all the baggage generated from the affects of racism, discrimination, enslavement(in some form), dispossession.

Doesnt have to be the current generation.

Those above things happened due to invasion.

You cant right the wrongs of the past but you can reset the relationship.

2 Likes

For those that are Treaty minded, I assume they have been following and participating in the proposed Victorian treaty.
As a Senator for Victoria, Lydia Thorpe has been accorded a voice which is listened to under the Constitution. IDK whether she has used that voice to engage in promoting a treaty or in engaging in the Vic treaty processes.

Because even within the Indigenous Australian cohort there is a diversity of views about different subjects - I find it concerning that some people believe that everyone should have the same view on a particular subject or that some may prioritise other issues as more important.

Gotta love a bit of Chaser shenanigans. Not bad for a write in candidate for the hottest 100.

This has been a ongoing problem in SA for years and hopefully it gets cleaned up

Besieged Child Protection Department boss Cathy Taylor has resigned,advising the Premier earlier today of her decision. She is set to finish in the role on April 28, and the state government will launch a “global recruitment process” to replace her, Mr Malinauskas said. Ms Taylor has overseen the state’s under-pressure child protection system since being appointed by the previous Labor government in October 2016.

The news of her resignation comes in the same week The Advertiser’s Save Our Kids campaign exclusively revealed almost 60 children who were known to the department have died in the past four years. The campaign, launched in August, has been calling on the state government to deliver on five elements, including appointing a new Department for Child Protection (DCP) chief executive.

Geez Reynold’s a flog

1 Like

In Episode 4826 of ‘in every political party, the NSW branch is the worst branch’…

Next thing, NSW Labor will court the Boomer vote by investigating the sinister effects that jive music and mara-jer-wana are having on the Youth Of Today.

Beats frightening your donors by doing anything about poker machines, at least.

3 Likes

I’d rather that money go to a women’s shelter.

But if it had to go on a study, I’d prefer it go into social media’s impact on adults.
Although the results would still be just as predictable.

3 Likes

The Boomer generation was the one that widely popularised marijuana. Get your facts right before satisfying age-related prejudices.

2 Likes

I know that but I suspect NSW Labor don’t, given they’ve decided it’s a vote-winner to have a cheap token shot at video games in an electorate where everyone under 45 was half raised by a Playstation.

1 Like

I see what you did there :joy:

1 Like

I didn’t need to be called out like this

3 Likes

lol wtf

:rofl:

Yeah, juuust missed the Playstation generation. Though my entire IT career started through my experience tinkering with config.sys and autoexec.bat files on my 386 boot disk, trying to squeeze more memory out of the thing so I could run Space Hulk, Aces of the Pacific, and Civilisation II.

5 Likes

shut up sega nerd

Don’t screw up and change the CONFIG.SYS to use EMS in place of XMS without a 5.25 inch floppy with the original version - ask me how I know :joy:

Thanks for making me feel less nerdy

I literally posted a thousand-word essay on the licensing history of Dungeons and Dragons in the hobbies and pastimes thread. That ship sailed long ago…

3 Likes