Australian Politics, Mark II

Less banjo, more orchestral

sicko

Down Under

Extending my care factor a little, but do we know what this one kidā€™s objection was?

Yeah, except we all sing the ā€œKookaburra sits in the old gum treeā€ bit instead of the flute solo.

Harper Nielsen, a student at Kenmore South State School in Brisbane, decided to protest against Advance Australia Fair, saying it was not inclusive of indigenous Australians.

Harper told The Courier-Mail the line in the national anthem, ā€œfor we are young and freeā€, disregarded Aboriginals who had lived in Australia for tens of thousands of years and only saw Australia as a country post-colonisation.

2 Likes

Ah.
Good on him.
I think itā€™s not much of a point as the anthem doesnā€™t actually specify any heritage at all, but itā€™s good to be passionate about things.

Edit: Or her. I guess Harper could also be a girls name.

Her, not him, it is a girl (and yes she identifies as a girl).

3 Likes

Is that cut and paste? indigenous with a small ā€˜Iā€™ and ā€˜Aboriginalsā€™ā€¦?

Cannot recall who sang it, might have been Jimmy Barnes, but Advance Australia Fair to the music of Working Class Man was the winner for me.

Adam Hills.

Edit: Which raises a good point. The anthem doesnā€™t acknowledge the parapalegic either. For shame.

Yes it does. Itā€™s lame.

12 Likes

Iā€™m going make a great big enormous leap towards a couple of conclusions here.

1. I have my doubts that a nine year old could analyse the language and draw their own interpretation like that. 'Specially at a state school.
  2. The correlation between righteously progressive parents who enjoy publicly making bold statements, and kids named Harper ought to be pretty high.

Iā€™m probably wrong. But thatā€™s where I landed.

7 Likes

lol

I think youā€™ve made an exceedingly good point.

Yeah why isnā€™t this kid addicted to fortnight like all the other kids.

3 Likes

Me too.
Then we would march from the quadrangle to our classroom.

2 Likes

I went to school with a kid called Harper and his parents were smack addicts

Though I did grow up in Dandenong, most kids parents were smack addicts

Moving on.

Yeah HScum

I apologise for being Harperist?

1 Like