Australian Politics, Mark II

I am more than happy to trawl through that data.
It might be quite educational.
I definitely think someone should.

Yep it is his ultimate responsibility

But if he broke the law and committed fraud, arrest him and throw him in jail.

Otherwise it is a mistake that will be rectified.

Of course, few of you ever make a mistake.

I bet they do.

Just like society as a whole.

Not like that, no.

However I have seen similar cases in my years at Optus.

Yep Big Al, that is exactly the point.

This is all public record stuff, so this bloke has made a mistake that will get fixed. No reason to execute him.

And my overall point is that this Government has made some very ordinary decisions and their policies in many areas suck. That is the story, not if some nutter makes an error in his expenses.

Oh?
Oh, right.
Poor olā€™ Godwin. Never seems to catch a break, huh?

Iā€™ve never taken a cabcharge to Darwin and when questioned about the bill gone, ā€˜what?ā€™
No.

3 Likes

Yeahā€¦if you assume that society as a whole is prepared to peddle its freckle for power. Some do, lots donā€™t.

2 Likes

A but far fetched to label it as a mistake when the monthly internet bill was consistently running at a few thousanand or so.

There are mistakes and then there are $20,000 mistakes

Iā€™ve only ever made the former

As a public servant if i inadvertently use public money for private matters or not ensure i obtain the best value for money for services, i do not get the opportunity to simply repay the money. Iā€™d be out.

8 Likes

When the military decided to do away with the internal authorised travel system for services travel, they issued 18 year old privates with Government credit cards. The Defence lawyers then spent the bulk of their resources and hiring private sector lawyers to prosecute the kids for using the cards for private purposes, then sacked them. I cannot imagine the legal fees racked up compared to the cost of running an internal travel system

3 Likes

After the Alan Jones kerfuffle re the Opera House, David Astle reports that the anagram of The Sydney Opera House is puny hotheadā€™s eyesore

And the Opera House is not a billboard, but a Four Sail Sign.

6 Likes

How many years or decades has it been since anyone from what is ironically called the Conservative side of politics accepted responsibility under the Westminster principle?

Joh B-P questioned under oath didnā€™t even know what the term meant, and I doubt anyone else has been held to account ever since.

Back in the days of Mick Young with his Paddington Bear, there was a Liberal minister tried to bring in a colour TV. He quit. Thatā€™s the last time I remember. Probably Fraser government.

1 Like

Yes, that was the last Lib I recall, too. There were several Nats in the Fraser govt who were never held to account though.

Mick Young was the last high profile resignation under the WP on the Labor side that I can recall.

Bronwyn Bishop was probably on the way out, but the Melbourne -Geelong helicopter finished her. Sussan Ley got got caught out with chartering a private plane to maintain her pilot flying hours, when commercial flights were available. She lost her Ministry, but did not lose pre - selection and is on the way back. She championed the elimination of live exports, but voted against a bill to that effect.
Meanwhile, so-called welfare cheats get chased down and some low level public servants and military get booted out for minor transgressions. Because thatā€™s the law.
Different standards for the pollies. They are not acting illegally, just unethically in some cases.

3 Likes

cā€™mon guys, youā€™re being completely unreasonable!

i know my $60 internet has sometimes crept out to $3~4k per month and iā€™m just like, ā€œlol, that went up a bit, better pay that internet bill then hey?ā€

6 Likes

I really want him to have been mining bitcoin.