Australian Politics, Mark II

I don’t think that’s right. It is certainly illegal to sell it if you grow your own, but I don’t think it’s like the pot situation. I have bought tobacco seed from that garden/cottage nursery in Victoria, no problem. I can’t remember their name. With tobacco, as with alcohol, it’s all about the excise. If they allow all and sundry to grow and sell or distill/brew and sell they would find it virtually impossible to impose excise (tax).

doesn’t matter, as long as the bike is registered and you’re not in competition.

It’s not precisely my field, but you can’t come a gutsa on a dirt track and claim TAC.

you can and i did…

you can crash in a paddock, as long as the bike is registered.

Happens a lot. Particularly with either beginners, who aren’t very good at it yet, or regular/long term users who’s veins have collapsed.

1 Like

Well that’s awesome.
Now, for people who want to take this to their ED clerks, fark off. No. You can’t.

You can deal directly with the finance crew.

1 Like

Mike “fark” Carlton’s new book looks somewhat interesting. Not a fan of the poisonous viper, Alan Jones.

I’m sure you’re right about the tax, however, from the ATO:

Growing tobacco for personal or commercial use

It’s illegal to grow tobacco in Australia for personal or commercial use without an excise licence. Licences to grow tobacco are subject to strict rules and conditions and are rarely granted. No licences will be granted to grow tobacco for personal use. There are serious consequences if you do not comply with these rules and conditions.

You crashed rather well I seem to remember.

exceptionally well. if you’re going to do something, do it properly.

and feel the effects still 5 years later!

2 Likes

OK but I am not bullshitting you, I really did buy a packet of seed from a place on the Mornington peninsular, does Herron something or other sound right? It was quite some time ago, admittedly. Also, during the war, there were unusual places that were growing it legit like Manjimup area and I am sure there is ‘volunteer’ tobacco plants to be found, even after all this time. Very easy to grow. All my seed germinated, the snails loved it. Which reminds me of a mid winter few days spent on Rottnest island around 1980. We were having a break (a smoke) while bike riding and I happened to notice a quokka rummaging through spilled rubbish from an overflowing bin, picking out the cig butts and peeling them open with it’s little ‘hands’ and eating the tobacco. I tossed it a couple of Camel plain, which was my tipple at the time and it devoured them voraciously. I wondered if it and it’s mates were addicted.

I’m not doubting you and my guess would be that some people do grow it for personal use, with enforcement likely being very rare at that level.

Quokka must have got a good hit off a whole Camel or two, lol

The wording of the ATO site makes tobacco seem similar to poppies. Growing poppies is legal. Growing poppies to produce drugs is illegal

Ok, enough a enough. This government has to go.

6 Likes

Education is the most important thing a society can pass to its children and we do an average job.

I am a failed teacher having taught for three years at a Tech School in Melbourne after doing my BSc. I could not hack it, and I am often glib about teachers and their worth. Over 40 years later, I listened to this lady on Q&A and now I understand a bit on why I failed. She is worth the listen.

1 Like

She was brilliant. Articulate, passionate and coming from a position of lived experience.

Her insistence on drawing out the difference between “burnout” and “demoralisation” really hit home for me.

4 Likes

One of my friends is a teacher, listening to her tells me it is a difficult tight-rope emotional experience.

Same for me dingus. I taught at a tough school at a tough time when education was changing with a diverse group of teachers, some of whom drank to excess virtually every day. Most hung in, but I let it get to me and jumped away as soon as I could. I had gone into teaching with enthusiasm and vigor, but left very depressed; she put it into words very well.

Yep.

I really related to her comments about being specifically instructed, constantly, to go against everything she knew was good education practise.

■■■■ this government.

1 Like

Government experts are really good at seeking the “average” and by implication this means that you treat every student the same. Back in my day (1974), school and indeed departments in schools had control over curriculum and were flexible in pitching a course to meet students needs. Education Department gave guidelines, but these were generated by groups of active teachers from all over.

I had real trouble getting a room of 15 year old boys interested in maths; until an older and wiser showed me how to frame the topics in language these kids could understand. Fractions were taught using the model of a bookmakers/TAB odds, and soon these kids could work out dividends from win/placing and quinellas, quicker than the tote !!

I really felt for her when I watched Q&A.