Australian Politics, Mark II

They want to enshrine discrimination within the anti-discrimation act, it’s absurd

I don’t even know how it would work for schools. Do they ask every 5yo whether they are gay? Or do they have to ‘catch em in the act’?

I bet the moment you threaten the schools public funding they would fall in line with modern Australian values.

3 Likes

Irritating Twat?

4 Likes

Incompetent Tossa.

2 Likes

I’d love to know how much less the Government would have to spend on this if people just got ■■■■■■■ paid more.

@Bacchusfox

What are the ALP going to do about Manus and Nauru? I can’t conscientiously vote for any party whose policy is to continue the torture of young children.

KRudd started this mess with his infamous quote " As of today, asylum seekers who come here by boat without a visa will never be settled in Australia".

This is the current policy statement. It will change to allowing those on Manus and Nauru into Australia, after the next National Conference as the Labor for Refugees group within the ALP have the numbers to win the vote. But this is the current position

1 Like

By the way @FromOutside50, in my view Manus, Nauru and Christmas Island are as shameful as our treatment of indigenous Australians in the past.

Some of us in Labor have fought and argued for years on our Policy, which is driven by the need to stop people smugglers. I have argued that foremost should be the rights of refugees, but it is a difficult issue. My Local MP have endured great pain from me, and she is staunch in stopping the boats, citing evidence that is only available to Parliament.

It is argued that Manus and Nauru would have gone under Gillards Malaysian solution only to be stopped by the Greens for political reasons.

I argue for an open door policy, which is not popular with most Australians. Jailing refugees is a disgrace and morally bankrupt. We will win in the end.

2 Likes

Humanitarian reasons.

Greens policy.

Utter Bullshite.

Humanitarian to leave them on Manus and Nauru ???

1 Like

Political to accept a “solution” that is still utterly at odds with basic human rights?

No compromise. Ask yourself how many votes it won the Greens.

Accepting a ■■■■ sandwich because it’s got a salad on the side is still accepting a ■■■■ sandwich.

Which refugee policy do you agree more with: Labor or Greens?

I am not saying I agreed with this argument, but Labor MPs put it very forcefully at the time. Allowing all refugees in detention to move to Australian mainland would have encouraged the boatloads to start again from Indonesia and other places causing death at sea and disrupting the orderly processing of refugees from UN Camps. The Malaysian solution was to ensure that all refugees were given equal opportunity to move to Australia in a regulated process. Manus and Nauru were to be closed down immediately. Not so sure about Christmas Island though.

Greens voted with LNP and grandstanded the whole matter to get political points, after agreeing with Julia to support the proposal. Greens may have won votes, but if it had of been reported fairly then the Greens would have be caned.

I dont agree with any refugee policy except for mine. To be honest, adding the words orderly and regulated into any part of the discussion gives me a pain in the guts, as there is nothing orderly or regulated about being a refugee. Idealistically, you would start at the home of the refugees and stop the murder, war, rape and all the horror that makes these innocent people leave their home. Realistically Australia has been a partner in many of these horrors and with our mates in USA and UK have a farking lot to answer for.

My policy is easy, wlecome all on the beach with a cold beer and big hug. Lots of room here in the Marsh, especially for African kids who can play footy.

Labor, Greens, LNP and the rest, just follow what the majority of Australians are saying and the racists and bogans speak the loudest.

1 Like

Thanks for the laugh.

I think i heard that Nauru and PNG won’t send them to Australia because they make too much money from our government for “housing” them.

I agree with most of what you said, except the part about African kids settling in Bacchus; they should all be forced to settle in and around Riddells Creek and the Macedon ranges.

No.

They voted against Labor’s disgusting policy. Labor’s policy is still disgusting. Even if your mob win at the conference.

Send people fleeing death or persecution to Malaysia?

From Human Rights Watch 2018 report (link: http://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/malaysia)

"In August, authorities used Malaysia’s restrictive Film Censorship Act to require the deletion of scenes from a film by a Malaysian investigative journalist implicating Malaysian immigration officials in the trafficking of Rohingya girls".

Kind of makes the whole “People smugglers will never be back in business” a bit hollow, doesn’t it?

Not Convinced?

From the same site:

"Malaysia is not a party to the 1951 Refugee Convention, and refugees and asylum seekers have no legal rights or status in the country. Over 150,000 refugees and asylum seekers, most of whom come from Burma, are registered with the UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, in Malaysia but are unable to work, travel, or enroll in government schools. Asylum seekers arrested by authorities are treated as “illegal migrants” and locked up in overcrowded and unhealthy immigration detention centers.

No Malaysians have been held responsible for their role in the deaths of over 100 ethnic Rohingya trafficking victims whose bodies were found in 2015 in remote jungle detention camps on the Thai-Malaysian border. The 12 policemen initially charged in the case were all exonerated and released in March 2017.

The Malaysian government has failed to effectively implement amendments passed in 2014 to Malaysia’s 2007 anti-trafficking law, in particular by taking the necessary administrative steps to provide assistance and work authorization to all trafficking victims who desire it, while ensuring their freedom of movement. Despite these clear failures, the US State Department upgraded Malaysia to Tier 2 in its annual Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report."

As for this malarkey that the Greens supported Gillard then voted with the coalition… from news.com (https://www.news.com.au/national/greens-to-sink-asylum-seekers-malaysia-solution/news-story/122eec4555a409b8681c9d25112a8455)

Greens MP Adam Bandt is due to introduce a notice of motion in the House of Representatives on Monday condemning the deal and calling on the Prime Minister to call it off. Mr Bandt opposed the Pacific Solution before he entered parliament.

When exactly did the Greens support the “Malaysian Solution”? In fact, the only mention I can find of other parties supporting it is when Abbott mused that maybe it was, after all, a better idea than Manus and Nauru.

Tony
■■■■■■■
Abbott.

Surely you’re convinced now?

I’ve had my own sort of theory I guess on why mental health issues are so prevalent, but struggle to articulate it. I’m gonna have a crack now.

There’s this concept that exists in my head (it might have scientific validity somewhere, who knows) that everyone has a “village”. Our tiny little caveman brains have a hard time processing that the world has 7 billion autonomous people living in it. We recognise the autonomy of the 100 or so that are in our immediate contact - friends, family, coworkers, neighbours, etc. What would have been our village 500 years ago. Sure, little Amir over in Syria is doing it tough, but I’ve never met him, so I don’t know what his thoughts/hopes/fears are, so I struggle to empathise with whatever he’s going through over there. Whenever I try to, it’s hard going.

Now 500 years ago, we only knew what was happening in our village (actual village and conceptual village were one and the same back then) because that’s all we knew of the world. If our village was fine, we were fine. Happy days. But these days we have access to a mind numbing amount of information and insight available. And we realise that there’s all these other villages that do it tough. And that sucks. Our little brains try and process these villages as being part of our own when we’re not really equipped to do that meaningfully. And so we’re sad.

Pull it back a bit. Read almost anything about the history of imperialism/capitalism and you would begin to understand that anyone who is rich only got that way because they, or someone they knew, exploited/took advantage of someone else somewhere along the line. I can go buy a $6 t-shirt from Kmart only because someone along the line got paid $0.000001 to make it. Inequality comes about because of exploitation. 500 years ago, hell even 50 years ago, we didn’t really know what. And now we do. And so we’re mad.

We’re mad because there are people who have done very, very well out of being ■■■■■■■■ - something we were all taught from a young age not to do. We also got taught from a young age that if you work hard you can achieve your dreams. Which isn’t true, because there’s only so many dreams to go around. Life isn’t turning out like we were brought up to believe it would.

Our little caveman brains can’t cope with all of this. The world fkn sucks but we have to live in it. It’s all too much. And so our brains do weird sht to try and adapt. We get overwhelmed, we get tired, we get addicted to things, we kick the can down the road rather than confront anything.

The basic forms of treatment that work are those that disconnect you from the whole world and refocus on your village. Spend time with friends and family. Meditate. Spend less time on social media. Exercise. Real simple stuff. And it works.

I’m not sure if any of that makes sense to anyone other than me. But that’s where I believe it’s at. And so whenever I see things like the government funding mental health initiatives, I think it’s a great big bandaid. Not even a good one. One of those sht ones that flop off the second you break a sweat. The way our society is set up pretty much causes these mental illnesses, and we’d have to backpedal a fair whack of almost everything in order to “solve” it.

9 Likes

Absolutely.

Everyone is distracted. We’ve totally disconnected from our bodies and our emotions. We run on autopilot 98% of the time. We ignore the present moment, which means we ignore all the sensations of life.

Then all of a sudden, we realise we are totally not well. Because we have neglected how we feel and what the body needs… we get sick. Ie. depression and anxiety.

I’ve ran many mindfulness programs with High school students, and it’s amazing. Because they’ve negrlected their emotions, a whole heap of stuff bubbles to the surface… which haven’t dealt with. Most commonly they recognise they need to get more sleep tho!

1 Like

These are the protective factors for mental health. Obviously the more protective factors that are addressed in a person, the more likely they have the personal resources to protect themselves against mental illness.

• Positive physical development
  • Academic achievement/intellectual development
  • High self-esteem
  • Emotional self-regulation
  • Good coping skills and problem-solving skills
  • Engagement and connections in two or more of the following contexts: school, with peers, in athletics, employment, religion, culture
  • Family provides structure, limits, rules, monitoring, and predictability
  • Supportive relationships with family members
  • Clear expectations for behavior and values
  • Presence of mentors and support for development of skills and interests
  • Opportunities for engagement within school and community
  • Positive norms
  • Clear expectations for behavior
  • Physical and psychological safety

What ?? Why not Bendigo ? We’ll build a mosque or two for them, to make them feel welcome.

Well, you’ll plan to. And then 750 people will rock up to protest about “traffic concerns”