Australian Politics, Mark II

For a limited time only.

surely you jest?

Nope. Announced today. Heā€™s turning to the church goers for votes.

While i donā€™t agree with it, it is a voluntary program. So not the end of the world. Youā€™d think it would open a whole can of worms on what religions should also be introduced as an option. They should just leave this ā– ā– ā– ā–  at home.

1 Like

Will the Church of Satan be allowed in?

https://www.churchofsatan.com/

Announced at the Crossways church (wannabe Hillsong), at a thing organised by the ACL.

So take a wild flying guess at whether itā€™ll be non-denominational.

Mental. And hopefully puts paid to his horrendous campaign.

And to think it will be funded by the governmentā€¦ Lines are getting blurry.

Very much looking forward to children being able to learn about religion in school.

I particularly look forward to the announcement of the section of curriculum dealing with the teachings of the Quran.

Also: Mentioning the Quran on a site called Bomberblitz? Hi, NSA, HI!

8 Likes

Why bother having opt-in sht on school curriculum? Waste of everyoneā€™s time.

Surely if thereā€™s demand for these kind of thing, then the free market can provide for it?

2 Likes

So they should be. The Andrews Gov hasnā€™t done a lot wrong, and by almost any metric, is achieving what you would want a Government to achieve.

The surprise here is that Mat ā€œThe Slyā€ Guy, is/was ever, even in with a shot.

Without Murdoch, heā€™d be nowhere near it, and never would have been IMO. Makes me think if Tony Abbott had a sniveling, sneaky little brother, ā€¦ this is who he would be.
Insipid, whiny, dodgy, ā€¦ is all I can think whenever I see or hear the bloke.

There are many Libs that are way better communicators and donā€™t make your skin crawl, but luckily for Labor, they inexplicably chose this bloke.

5 Likes

And you want taxpayers to fund it? Umm, really? Last I heard, Australia ā€“ and within it, Victoria ā€“ was a secular democracy. If parents want kids to get some religious values thereā€™s always Sunday school. Or relevant religious education at home or outside of school. And not on the publicā€™s coin.

8 Likes

Mate do you think i said somewhere that i agree with it? I donā€™t think this bullshit should be in our schools. Itā€™s nonsense.

When itā€™s opt-in during school hours, the other kids are not allowed to have proper lessons because that would disadvantage those who opt-in. So an hour of curriculum lessons gets wasted for teachers and students.

4 Likes

So Labor reckons one ex AMA President can roll a traditionally safe Liberal seat, why not try another!!

Brian Owler selected as the candidate for Bennelong.

This current Government is the best Victorian State Government Iā€™ve seen in my life time.

Iā€™m not a Labor party voter, as I usually support the Greens, but Iā€™ve been super impressed by this Government. They have been extremely progressive about the future and showed a lot of care for the people.

12 Likes

Sorry Lance ā€“ Iā€™m 100% with you in opposing it. I trust youā€™ll accept my apologies for misinterpreting your post and misrepresenting your position. My badā€¦

3 Likes

I agree. Certainly the most progressive government in the country at the moment: lots of good and much-needed public infrastructure, leading social policies ā€“ euthanasia, 2-year kindergarten, work redressing indigenous issues (admittedly off a low base and with a ways to goā€¦) ā€“ commitment to climate change mitigation, all while managing the economy pretty well, albeit helped by the stamp-duty bonanza of recent years. And Iā€™m not a huge fan of the Premier Andrewsā€™ or Treasurer Pallasā€™ personal style yet they just seem to get stuff doneā€¦

4 Likes

Both my kids get an hour of class revision whilst the others are doing the RE stuff. I donā€™t mind them getting some direct attention rom their teacher to revise on stuff they have recently covered.

I would have no problem if RE was part of the curriculum for all kids, as long as:

1. itā€™s taught by their teacher as a regular topic just like maths, geography or history. No contracted organisations (ā€œCatch the Fire Ministriesā€? FFS, blatant recruiting or what?), and

2. It covers all religions. Explain the fundamental beliefs, cultural traditions, history and origins. Show kids that there all sorts of religions all over the world and all through history. We claim to be inclusive (kids of several different religions at my kidā€™s public primary school), but then only teach christianity in a class called ā€œReligious Educationā€? If theyā€™re going to be taught about Christianity, they should also be taught about Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Greek mythology and Ancient Egyptian religious beliefs.

11 Likes

I agree that (#2) would be great. But we all know thatā€™s not would it would be.

3 Likes

Yep, Iā€™d have to agree the Andrews government is the best state government Iā€™ve lived under. Iā€™d like another 2 terms of what weā€™ve had so far.

Should be enough time to lock in the pathway to 100% renewables and the offshoot industry revolution that should grow from it. Work on decarbonising transport. Keep expanding on sensible transport infrastructure and decentralising populations. Get some big investments in public health.

4 Likes