Australian Politics, Mark II

I’m impressed you could get all of that on the Internet with a burnt stick.

2 Likes

Just call the election, Bubblehead is totally farked

But politicians aren’t corrupt Al

Nah. Just make poor decisions, usually on bad advice from others.

Either that or it’s just poor judgement in that particular instance.

They’re all wonderful, in it for the common good people who ride to work on unicorns, and spend their spare time sprinkling fairy dust on pensioners and the disadvantaged.

5 Likes

Can someone tell the LNP that they’ve been in power for more than five years?

I honestly don’t think they know.

Morrison on the blue campaign bus in Queensland. Federal elections 7 months away; Queensland elections nearly two years off; Victorian elections 3 weeks off.
Does he just come to Victoria for the free sports hospitality?
And, there was criticism of Turnbull for stringing out the last Federal campaign

Shown some intelligence for a change to stay away from Victoria…

I got one of those postal vote applications the other day. I had no intention of going postal, and opened it today. Bluddy annoying that it’s from Roma Britnell, our local member. Bang goes that vote, Roma. Munch on that. Dodgy! Red shirts were dodgy…so’s this!

Pity neither lot of ■■■■■■■ can behave honestly and honourably.

I think after Wentworth, Morrison was politely told to stay well away from Victoria.

They stoped the boats and axed the tax!

Only it was 3 prime ministers ago.

1 Like

10 Likes

Should go for a round number and throw out the member for Dickson

3 Likes

Phelps considering referring Dutton and Crewther to the high court over 44. Katter is considering Crewther but not Dutton (presumable because of blowback to himself in Queensland). Either way any high court action wouldn’t resolve till next May anyway. Might be a good way to ensure a general election though in case happy clapper is considering splitting the elections. Will also make them stinkier heading into an election.

1 Like

16 Likes

And just like that there’s talk of doing a half senate in March and holding out till November.

He doesn’t travel by the bus, uses a RAAF plant
Why doesn’t he get photographed against the RAAF plane and its liveried attendants?

1 Like
2 Likes

Nigel Scullion offered to fund dispute over Indigenous land claim, fishing group says

We were approached by the department,’ group’s chief says, adding $155,000 was partly used to fund legal fees

The Indigenous affairs minister, Nigel Scullion, offered to fund the NT’s Amateur Fishermen’s Association’s dispute over several Aboriginal land claims, its executive officer has said, as calls increase for a full investigation into his use of Indigenous funds.

“We were approached by the department,” the association’s executive officer, David Ciaravolo, said. “The minister came to our annual general meeting in April and made the announcement.”

Ciaravolo confirmed the $155,000 they received from the Indigenous advancement strategy (IAS) was partially used to fund legal fees, because AFANT is a small operation and “collecting evidence of detriment is easier with a lawyer”.

Under the NT Land Rights Act, those who consider a land claim would have a negative impact on their business or personal interests can argue a “detriment” case about how their future access to income, land or water would suffer if the claim were approved.

More than a dozen land claims in the NT have been held up – some by almost 30 years – by unresolved detriment issues.

AFANT has issued this call to members: “So, if you fish in any of these areas, then we need to hear from you! Now! First-hand information from recreational fishers will be essential to AFANT being able to substantiate detriment issues for the statement we are preparing to lodge with the commissioner.”

The land commissioner is required to include these issues in preparing a report for the final decision-maker who, under the Land Rights Act is Scullion, the Indigenous affairs minister.

The minister has come under fire for funding the group from the $4.9bn Indigenous advancement strategy, which is supposed to “improve the way the government does business with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people”, according to the government’s website.

“It is unbelievable to me that Minister Scullion continues to maintain that allocating money for detriment case legal fees is an appropriate use of the funds,” Labor senator Malarndirri McCarthy said. “It’s time the prime minister showed some interest in how his Indigenous affairs minister is spending public money.”

The former NT Indigenous affairs minister Dr Jak Ah Kit said the decision was “totally immoral and totally against the normal rules that apply”.

Ah Kit was also the director of the Northern Land Council for seven years and was involved in hundreds of land claim processes. He said it was standard practice for groups who wanted to lodge a detriment case to seek funds from the attorney general’s department.

However, AFANT said it was not a matter for them to question where the minister’s funding offer came from.

“Whether or not it’s an appropriate use of IAS funds is a matter between the minister and his constituents,” Ciaravolo said.

“It is not normal for us to wonder how the minister spends his budget. When he says this is where it’s from, it’s not a matter for us to question that.”

Ciaravolo said supporting AFANT to run detriment cases was of benefit to Indigenous people.

“If you want to move forward from a deadlock, and legal fees are the key to moving forward, I don’t know why people would stand in the way of that.”

The National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples co-chair Jackie Huggins said the IAS fund was “deeply flawed”.

“Everywhere I have been around the country, it’s brought up all the time how difficult it is to get IAS funding, for even small community groups, for things like women’s health, diabetes education, or night patrols, mothers and babies programs,” Huggins said.

“The IAS was set up for the purpose of improving outcomes and social participation for our people and I don’t see how these grants align with that.”

A spokesman for the minister said “it is disappointing that congress and Mr Ah Kit are playing politics rather than seeking to have these outstanding land claims resolved as soon as possible”.

The NT Seafood council (NTSC) – which the minister once chaired – also received $150,000 from the IAS but will “absolutely not use the funds for legal fees”, its chief executive, Katherine Winchester, said.

“Our funding is approved but we are yet to finalise the agreement with the government,” she said. “We absolutely deny we applied for funding for fighting land claims. Our grant will go to education and cultural awareness.”

ScuMo’s govt has wall-to-wall scumbags.

5 Likes

5 Likes