Australian Politics, Mark II

Please stop.

2 Likes

He needs to see the code! WHY WONT ANYONE SHOW HIM THE CODE

1 Like

And that right there is what I was talking about. There are simpler ways to hack a persons device, than trying to use a backdoor in an encryption app.

(JFTR, Iā€™ve never used the cloud either, ā€¦ never trusted it)

Like I said, ā€¦ if itā€™s only Apple,ā€¦ Iā€™m ok with that.

People will of course have the option to not upgrade to such a phone or OS right? (In which case the whole thing is completely redundant for itā€™s purported purpose anyway, yeah?)

Or do Apple not allow their servants to do that either?

Social engineering is the obvious one. Buy (or trick) the master key off a dirty cop (or dirty taxi inspector, or dirty local govt inspector, or anyone at the software company who helped code the backdoor in the first place, or anyone working at the lowest-bid contractor who supports the server). As soon as youā€™ve got the backdoor key, you can get into EVERYTHING.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s technical ways of going about it too, but Iā€™m not as well up on those

Currently the systemic strength of encryption is due to its decentralisation. Even if you crack my encryption, youā€™ll have to start from scratch to crack my mateā€™s encryption, even if Iā€™ve exchanged encryppted data with him. A backdoor compromises that. It says that to crack everyoneā€™s encryption, all you have to do is break or access one key. That makes it the biggest most tempting target in the world.

1 Like

Not really, the problem with weaker encryption is data can be easily mined in mass, that iCloud way was incredibly labor intensive and only effected a handful of celebrities

It wonā€™t only be apple.

And sure, you can simmply not upgrade. Itā€™ll work for a while. Until your phone dies and you need a new one. Or until your OS is so old that your old apps stop working and you canā€™t run new ones. And of course, if you donā€™t upgrade youā€™ll miss out on patches for widely-known accidental security holesā€¦

1 Like

Have you actually lost the capability of comprehension ?

ā€œApple (or whoever)ā€

Wasnā€™t the iCloud stuff just/mostly easy-to-guess passwords?

Maybe BSD actually supports this because he just really really wants more of Jennifer Lawrenceā€™s t/ts?

2 Likes

The bill will mean all companies have to force the software onto the device, so it wonā€™t be an opt in update.

Kind of

Whatā€™s that they say about Insults being the last resort of insecure people with a crumbling position?

Is that it?

Anyway, fk this, Itā€™s beer oā€™clock & the Crickets on.

2 Likes

legit lol

1 Like

And that people tend to use the same small number of passwords across all the apps and websites they useā€¦So if you use joeblow1 for one app, you may well use it for others too.

Hopefully itā€™s not password or admin.

Thereā€™s a reasonably simple explanation of it in a book called The Code Book by Simon Singh, about the history of encryption.

It relies on the fact thatā€™s it incredibly difficult to factorise extremely large numbers when the number is the multiple of two very large primesā€¦and it uses modular arithmetic (calculating remainders when dividing by a number is not a reversible operation).

3 Likes

If any of us knew the details, we would out hacking stuff for financial gain instead of shtposting here.

The big dirty secret in data security is that 99.9% of measures that are in place only really do the job to protect against random attacks. If someone really wanted to target you/your business specifically, theyā€™ll get in. The level of protection you have only determines how long it will take them.

@Humble_Minion is on the money re: social engineering. The major risk here is that the tool/s to access the exploit (letā€™s call it what it is) will end up in nefarious hands really easily and really quickly. Will cost someone like $5k. Probably less.

Double that up with the governmentā€™s recent history of implementing anything tech related (see: online census) and it doesnā€™t bode well.

The whole ā€œI have nothing to hideā€ gamut is a bit silly as well. Would you consent to having the front door to your house replaced with one made from glad wrap? Itā€™s still a door, right?

I donā€™t know, does Bill Shorten support glad wrap doors? If so Iā€™m all for it

1 Like

Iā€™m probably the wrong person to ask this, ā€¦ I actually leave my door and car unlocked most of the time.

Went away t Melb for 4 days once and I hadnā€™t pulled the door to ā€œclickā€ as I left in a hurry, ā€¦ came home and it had been wide open the whole time.

As the saying goes,ā€¦ā€œLocks only keep Honest people outā€

If only everyone was honest