Australian Politics, Mark II

One persons weak is anothers smart (or no fkn option) politics.

You don’t want Murfuch et al to have anything to blow up and help get these fkers off the mat with,… right?

I think the amendments wanted, if not instituted by ScuMo etc in the NY as Labor want, … actually gives them another good thing to campaign on.

2 Likes

Becuase it’s nothing legislation. Fine companies who don’t provide encrypted messages. I.e totally unworkable.

Why consult to be told the legislation is useless or requires 2 years to hammer out and get right.

It was theatre by the liberals and labor countered it.

1 Like

That doesn’t really answer my question. I’m asking why the Government is rushing in legislation that it seemingly doesn’t even understand. It’s almost as if another body has drafted this and just given it to the Gov’t to pass as law. I’ve said before, anything to do with Nat security needs to be examined thoroughly, this doesn’t pass the smell test to me.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t, … to most of us, and nor to Labor either, … and the way they did it, pushing it into the last hour of sitting and shutting down at 5pm rather than extending, thereby forcing Labors hand on it, and allowing no time to debate those amendments, was one of the most underhanded bits of skulduggery I’ve ever witnessed.

But it may well have been for no more than to try to wedge Labor so they could point the finger and say LABOR DON"T WANT AUSTRALIA SAFE!!, … which, laughingly, they did anyway in the House regardless of the fact Labor smelt the wind and had acquiesced and already passed it, … which was just as bizarre, as it was transparent.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see national politics has some integrit- oh wait they’re all spineless opposing sides of the same coin.

They rushed it 100% for the politics. The government might not sit before the the next election. They want to talk about a surplus and national security there two perceived strengths.

The only way this legislation works is if there allready is back doors and then all this talk is moot.

If this was a serious bill, there would be a transitional period, pre compliance checks, a department to oversee, auditing, money allocated, and you would hope the privacy and legal aspects dealt with.

Instead it’s just we can ask Facebook for data and if they refuse fine them. What’s a bet no one asks them.

The long term implications are still true, this policy and tech will eventually get sorted out.

Edit: which still means they are bastards.

On a side note why is everyone freaking about banking?

Police and other parties allready have access to banking records, they don’t need this legislation for this. They are not going to put back doors into banking. They don’t need to.

Because with an end-to-end encrypted messaging app, the only real way to snoop is to go to whoever wrote the the OS and make them install a keylogger.

2 Likes

It’s kinda why I don’t buy it. No one could be that stupid to think that’s a workable answer.

Does it even work though. I mean you get half the message but you don’t get the reply and in some cases do you get to see who they are even communicating with.

Great, so Labor see using the nationals digital safety as an acceptable political football that can be punted for them to save face.

No, the government and it appears the labor party see the safety of our identities as a sufficient compromise in the name of national security.

Looks like it.
After seeing this (deleted tweet) I can understand their thinking, if not entirely approve.

Pyne

Is that legit his comments?

The only reason I can see this being rushed through legitimately is if both parties were given a security briefing that would indicate an imminent theat.

But I’m a pretty trusting person.

SMH says it is.
I don’t think they’d make it up.

You don’t think Fairfax would make stuff up?

If it’s in the Herald Sun it’s fact.

2 Likes

I still don’t get what the big deal is with letting agencies see this info? Seems like a big nothing to me

If that’s your understanding of the problem then I can see why you think it’s fine.

I suggest you read further on what the real issue is.

4 Likes

Labor got wedged on encryption. If there had been a terrorist incident in the NY, it would have been blamed, even though the laws won’t come into effect until January.
According to Insiders, there is some sort of deal between Wong and Cormann that amendments will be revisited when Parliament next sits.

3 Likes

For my security clearance, I have to allow access to banking records. Otherwise, for the general public, access is generally restricted to transactions of $10k or more without a warrant for reasonable cause.